WD Black Help

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by TWG1572, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TWG1572

TWG1572 Member

I installed a new WD 1TB Black into my rig tonight. My plan is to use it as a data drive, and my Intel 520 SSD as the OS/Application drive. Motherboard is a ASUS M5A97 R2.0.

Putting this new drive in pretty well ground my system to a halt as soon as I tried writing to it. I tried moving some files over on a USB stick, and the transfer would run at 1 MB/s and then slow down to 0, then come back again 10-15 seconds later and run around 1 again. I don't think it's the stick or the usb port since I can transfer the same files to my desktop (SSD) at 5ish mb/s with no slowing of the transfer rate.

I canceled the transfer and tried to delete the files from the WD Black - the recycle bin pretty well sat there for minutes spinning and then finally cleared.

When I went into task manager(Win8), the drive is pegged at 100% activity with no reads or writes happening. This was after the recycle bin finally cleared, and I wasn't writing to the drive. Reads and Writes were at 0 in task manager. I tried to shutdown, but the system hung. I had to turn the power off and reboot. When it came back, the drive was showing 0% activity and stayed there until I started trying to write again. But as soon as I tried writing to it, the same thing happens. Slow system, hang on shutdown.

My bios is set to ACHI. It's using the same MS SATA driver that my SSD is. Drive is formatted as NFTS. CHKDISK ran fine. I've attached my crystal disk report.

Any suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting? I'm not a pro by any means, and have exhausted the options I know about. My last check is to make sure the power and SATA cables are seated, then I'm not sure what next to check.

I'd appreciate any tips or thoughts!

[​IMG]

#1 TWG1572, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Loading...