WD 1TB TV LIVE HUB - copy to drive ?

Blintok

Jan 30, 2007
greetings..

so i currently have one of the older WD TV Live players. It is connected (Cat5e) to a Win7 pc and a WD Elements USB external drive.

it works pretty well playing from pc to tv - i use the external drive as storage for movies i wish to keep. (backed up on 2 other element drives kept separate)

I have been reading about the WD live hub. I like it because it has a 1T internal drive that i can drag and drop to from Win7.

the only thing i can not see if it does this. but will the WD Hub also let me drag n drop to the external drive from windows? That is the one thing that bugs me about the older live player. If i want to copy files to the ext drive i have to move it to the pc then back to the player.
Would be deal killer if i cant copy to the ext via the hub.

so trying to decide if the hub will do what i want. i do like the newer gui on the hub compared to the clunky one on the live. My other option i was considering is getting a NAS like a Synology.

the other reason is $$ - much cheaper for the WD Hub compared to the Synology + 2 HD (raid1) and with the WD hub i will basically have 4 drives as movie back up. 5 if i count the win7 drive.

Blintok

Jan 30, 2007
so in case any of the 165 viewers of this thread are wondering how it all works :)

got the WD Live Hub a couple of days ago. Set up was super easy. plug and play. found my network. found the ext drive and copied all over to the hub internal. Once that was done (took about 2hrs) i removed the external from the player to be used as an an extra backup.

happy i went with the hub. interface is much nicer than the older wd live. i can now drag n drop copy/move/delete from the win7 desktop to the hub. It has been populating my movie files with thumbnail dvd box art.

only down side i can see is it is reported to be slow when you copy a file to the hub over the network (havent tried it yet so no first hand experience) but it only be once in a blue moon i would copy a movie to the player so no big deal.