Announcement WCG update 9/9/2022 ** still messed up ***

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Dear volunteer,

Thank you for your continued support of the World Community Grid while we move to our new home at the Krembil Research Institute.

We’re now getting ready to transfer data and begin the final stress-testing of the servers. To ensure we can focus on the final phase of the migration fully, and that we do not negatively impact research and volunteers, we will gracefully stop work units on February 14, and pause the work and forums until mid April.

Volunteers do not need to take any specific action, as your devices will automatically stop receiving or sending work units during this time.

We will keep a simplified website online, to ensure we can share progress with you, and to provide additional information during this final phase of transition. We appreciate your support, and look forward to working with you on finishing existing projects and working on the new ones.

Sincerely,

The World Community Grid TEAM – Together Everyone Accomplishes More

My contribution:

Your contribution
Run Time:1,440 years
Results:4,537,877
Last Result: February 10, 2022

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Run Time:3 years
Results:14,463
Last Result:January 22, 2022

while my register date is waaaaay earlier than you, i have nowhere near your output. lol

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I'm just a baby when it comes to WCG. What's the new medical project of choice with Rosetta being annoying and WCG down? I didn't love Sidock when I ran it during the race (it repeatedly crashed my pis), but if its my only option...

Run Time:49 years
Results:84,229
Last Result:February 10, 2022

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
What's the new medical project of choice with Rosetta being annoying and WCG down? I didn't love Sidock when I ran it during the race (it repeatedly crashed my pis), but if its my only option...
Well, I don't know about the choice; but here are the choices:

For Raspbery Pis:
  • Rosetta@home with its classic application ('rosetta python projects' runs on x86-64 only; Windows, Linux, OS X) --- you would have to issue repeated work requests in order to get some,
  • SiDock@home (just announced a new target; workunit sizes differ from target to target)
  • Perhaps TN-Grid?

For x86 computers:
  • Rosetta@home,
    • either configured to run the bogus 'rosetta python projects' application and the classic application, with the drawback of the instability and disk space hunger of the former,
    • or configured to run only the classic application, with the drawback that there is only very little work available in relation to the donated computer capacity.
  • SiDock@home
  • TN-Grid (would not generate work fast enough if just a moderate number of WCG donors try to switch to TN-Grid)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
The important dates, taken from the news posting:
  • World Community Grid pauses sending out work units: February 14, 2022.
  • World Community Grid pauses receiving work units: February 27, 2022.
  • Website and forum will be offline: from February 28 until April 22, 2022.
    A simplified version of the website will act as a sign post during the transition, to share updates and communicate progress and roadmap for the World Community Grid in 2022.

It doesn't actually say what the degree of functionality will be from April 22 on, only that "clients will automatically begin receiving work units *when* the system is brought up again." (Asterisks are mine.)

Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
BTW, I may just save the electricity and just stay with F@H for a month. If you see my contribution, I think a break is OK for me. Might try a few on Rosetta.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
What's the new medical project of choice with Rosetta being annoying and WCG down? I didn't love Sidock when I ran it during the race (it repeatedly crashed my pis), but if its my only option...
Well, I don't know about the choice; but here are the choices:
Oh wait, I forgot that there is of course also CPU work available from Folding@Home. I'm not sure if they have a port to ARM. Of course, the credit you get for CPU work is a) very inconsistent, b) not very high. Also, you may encounter very long task durations.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Oh wait, I forgot that there is of course also CPU work available from Folding@Home. I'm not sure if they have a port to ARM. Of course, the credit you get for CPU work is a) very inconsistent, b) not very high. Also, you may encounter very long task durations.
I have tried F@H on the Pis. Around 1000ppd if the tasks don’t time out. I would not recommend it.

Reactions: Ken g6

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I saw the message in BOINC, but thanks for the reminder Mark, I probably would have forgotten about it by the time I run out of WUs! lol

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
The important dates, taken from the news posting:

A simplified version of the website will act as a sign post during the transition, to share updates and communicate progress and roadmap for the World Community Grid in 2022.

It doesn't actually say what the degree of functionality will be from April 22 on, only that "clients will automatically begin receiving work units *when* the system is brought up again." (Asterisks are mine.)

I'd venture to say this is them actually transfering the physical servers to Canada? Could explain the long down time (waiting for all the tasks to complete/return + shipping hardware to new location + setting up hardware at new location)

Seems that might take a while. Although I thought they already did all this? But I don't remember their being a large downtime for such an event recently though.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
They mention in the news item that IBM is giving some sort of support until March 2, after Krembil took over legally in September.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Hmm, SiDock@home announced a downtime on March February 14, lasting circa 08:00-20:00 UTC, for a storage upgrade. But the site is still down.

TN-Grid now is experiencing quickly increasing participation now. Soon the available computer throughput of the donors should be higher than TN-Grid's rate of work generation.

Rosetta@home's status is unchanged: Both classic work and vbox work continues to be generated, but classic work is downloaded by contributors faster than new work is added.

On a related note, the BoincStats webpage has got a "Status schedulers" list on its left side — which is hopelessly outdated. Several projects which are in fact down are listed there as "online" and maybe even as having work available. Even Asteroids@home which is down since last Summer is listed as active and with work. I never noticed before that this list at BoincStats doesn't actually work.

Last edited:
Reactions: biodoc

Markfw

May 16, 2002
March 14?
I know. I was just saying that its happening. Instead of over 700 tasks running at once on my boxes, I am down to a couple hundred. Will be out in a couple of days. Time to find something to keep them busy.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Couldn't quote who I was replying to, but Stef said March 14th and the site is still down. Wasn't sure if he meant the site was supposed to go down Feb 14th for a few hours and it's still down or if its also going down again in march 14th.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Couldn't quote who I was replying to, but Stef said March 14th and the site is still down. Wasn't sure if he meant the site was supposed to go down Feb 14th for a few hours and it's still down or if its also going down again in march 14th.
To quote Stefan

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Hmm, SiDock@home announced a downtime on March 14, lasting circa 08:00-20:00 UTC, for a storage upgrade. But the site is still down.

Guess I should have quoted it. March 14th, but I think he meant February 14th.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I will look up other projects, but mostly would like to keep on "medical" research if possible.

Most of my "stuff" is running out of work and I've been researching other stuff.

I like supporting the team on challenges and stuff, but only for an event. I like medical stuff for cold weather long term use....

I will say it is starting to get cold here in the basement, without my room heaters running 24/7...

Edit 1 - note that others have responded maybe before I updated this post, so don't think my comments reflect their vision :)(O : All my Arm / linux and Android stuff has shut down...

And old Intel / linux and windows stuff.

Getting cold here. But very priviledged to be so cold!!!

Last edited:

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I will look up other projects, but mostly would like to keep on "medical" research if possible.

Most of my "stuff" is running out of work and I've been researching other stuff.

I like supporting the team on challenges and stuff, but only for an event. I like medical stuff for cold weather long term use....

I will say it is starting to get cold here in the basement, without my room heaters running 24/7...
I hear you on the cold Basement. I put my 5950 on Milky Way - it seems silly to use it on projects that also use GPU, but There aren’t many projects left that just use CPU.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I will add some crazy... Maybe this is the tipping point on total compute vs I.A. vs. humans?

Humans can't figure out what to do with all the shared extra Xtera compute.... And then what?

HaHa....

Stay safe everyone!

I was in a local band named "[X] Terra" back in the early 90's. I personally had a lot of fun for that's 2 months worth of existence!

I love 3 to + physical live musical bands, but human time goes by so fast!

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
(SiDock)
March 14?
Woops, February 14.

I put my 5950 on Milky Way - it seems silly to use it on projects that also use GPU, but There aren’t many projects left that just use CPU.
If my GPUs weren't so old by now, I would use them for heating, rather than CPUs. GPU computing has the additional benefit that I can change the board power limit anytime.

Most of the CPUs of mine which I am currently using were at QuChemPedIA, but that site is down since Monday. I switched them to TN-Grid, but also added Gaia@home with 0 resource share in case that TN-Grid becomes too crowded.

I do like physics/ chemistry/ astronomy projects, but the few which are available have all their issues (Einstein on GPUs excepted, I guess).

Last edited:
Reactions: Skillz and biodoc

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
SiDock@home came back up a few hours ago and has got work.

TN-Grid is now definitely at a level at which work demand outpaces work creation.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, almost done. So I have tried Rosetta, next to nothing happening. NO WCG, so what other CPU medical is there that has work ?