WCG - 16th Birthday Challenge

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Copy and run this in a run box(windows key + r if you don't already have it enabled):

"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2

and then let me know if your BOINC instance 2 shortcut works.

Icecold, that redirection run line worked! The Boinc2 shortcut pulled up the Boinc2 folder tasks. I am uploading those saved / completed tasks now.

I assume I will have to modify the line to point to the Boinc3 instance.

Thanks

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Icecold, that redirection run line worked! The Boinc2 shortcut pulled up the Boinc2 folder tasks. I am uploading those saved / completed tasks now.

I assume I will have to modify the line to point to the Boinc3 instance.

Thanks
Glad to hear it! Based on your prior posts you'd want to change it to "c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31420 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC3

I think where the confusion may be(or I may be wrong on this) is that there are 2 steps. You have to launch the BOINC client which is what runs behind the scenes doing all the work(which is what these run commands are doing) and then to see what it's doing the easiest way is to launch the BOINC Manager. On my desktop I have 'Boinc1.bat' and 'Boinc1manager.bat' and I start 'boinc1.bat' first, give it a second, and then launch 'Boinc1manager.bat' which allows me to see what it's doing. I think maybe you started the clients initially, and started bunkering on them, but only made shortcuts or batch files for doing the second part of launching BOINC Manager. Since then either the client closed, or the PC rebooted or something caused it to not be running, so when you're doing the second step of launching BOINC Manager it has nothing to connect to. That's my best guess at least.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Half day stats are in and I am still trying to get my bunkers uploaded.....maybe half done.

Remind me in the future not to bunker Africa Rainfall... :-(
I had wondered how you managed to DDOS your network. I bunkered Smashing Childhood Cancer primarily and it took maybe 20 or 30 minutes to upload across all my machines but nothing crazy. Does Africa Rainfall have huge task uploads or something?

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I probably won't be the one to post stats throughout the challenge, but figured I'd at least post where the top 10 teams are at 24 hours in:

11-16-2020-wcg.PNG

Reactions: zzuupp and lane42

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I hope this does not offend anyone here. I have only started to get into this distributed computing thing after all these years of puters. I remember reading about it going way back to the late 90's, but I was just not interested enough to follow up.

I believe I had and Anand account 1st around 1997, but long forgot about it, but have always read Anand and Tom's back in the day. Going back to the jump from 486s to 586s or Pentiums or whatever.

I did not keep up in the early 2000's so much cause of family and kids... But still built a puter when I could afford it, until the laptops where just easier for family.

So my own last laptop was 2014, an I7 4 core, that throttles if you look at it wrong :), even though it is a 17" monster. I still use it remotely at least every other week and it still works well.

When Ryzen came out I and a few friends just had to have an 8 core for audio and video home projects. Settled on a 1700x. It really helped to bring the 3 of us together as we mostly worked remotely and only collaborated in person every other month or so. We had forgot how much we liked spending time together over audio / video production!

Anyway, and I could go on and on, but won't....

I started using our older equipment to run BOINC and primarily WCG. It's not a lot, but every year or so it is building.

I am now seeing that there is some smack talking in these threads from other teams, and the serious amount of effort that several of you put into this thang!

It is for me a whole new world opening up, and with the COVID, situation and myself working from home and around several puters, something to focus on for fun. And to learn puter stuff once again.

I will let you know I do like competition, and am really now debating the next puter upgrade within reason. Was going to be a 5950x or so, but now just might need to wait for the threadripper update for 32 cores? As it should work well for video?

Thanks for the help on the BOINC instances. I am creating .bat files for starting the client and the manager going forward. Had some time to read up on this stuff and am close to almost knowing what I am doing!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I hope this does not offend anyone here. I have only started to get into this distributed computing thing after all these years of puters. I remember reading about it going way back to the late 90's, but I was just not interested enough to follow up.

I believe I had and Anand account 1st around 1997, but long forgot about it, but have always read Anand and Tom's back in the day. Going back to the jump from 486s to 586s or Pentiums or whatever.

I did not keep up in the early 2000's so much cause of family and kids... But still built a puter when I could afford it, until the laptops where just easier for family.

So my own last laptop was 2014, an I7 4 core, that throttles if you look at it wrong :), even though it is a 17" monster. I still use it remotely at least every other week and it still works well.

When Ryzen came out I and a few friends just had to have an 8 core for audio and video home projects. Settled on a 1700x. It really helped to bring the 3 of us together as we mostly worked remotely and only collaborated in person every other month or so. We had forgot how much we liked spending time together over audio / video production!

Anyway, and I could go on and on, but won't....

I started using our older equipment to run BOINC and primarily WCG. It's not a lot, but every year or so it is building.

I am now seeing that there is some smack talking in these threads from other teams, and the serious amount of effort that several of you put into this thang!

It is for me a whole new world opening up, and with the COVID, situation and myself working from home and around several puters, something to focus on for fun. And to learn puter stuff once again.

I will let you know I do like competition, and am really now debating the next puter upgrade within reason. Was going to be a 5950x or so, but now just might need to wait for the threadripper update for 32 cores? As it should work well for video?

Thanks for the help on the BOINC instances. I am creating .bat files for starting the client and the manager going forward. Had some time to read up on this stuff and am close to almost knowing what I am doing!
Just curious why anyone would be offended by what you said. I find it all very nice. You are Welcome here !

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I'm glad we were able to help you get your instances figured out @cellarnoise . We're happy to have you on the TeAm. I know it can be tedious, but that bunkering paid off you were in the top 10 in TeAm production today in WCG.

Reactions: cellarnoise

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I've got a Haswell i7 15" laptop, of the mobile workstation class. When it was fairly new, I could torture it with boinc, including PrimeGrid, and even with some Folding on its little mobile Quadro.
Since a few years now it tends to freeze or reboot when I load its CPU or play full-screen video on it. I dedusted it in intervals of course. I made one attampt to open it up and see whether I could remount the CPU and GPU coolers with new thermal paste, but gave up on it for now due to tight construction.
It is currently running WCG and BoincTasks, with the clock fixed to 2.0 GHz by means of ThrottleStop.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
@VietOZ I'm surprised you guys aren't running out of disk space on your PC's with how many tasks are waiting to be reported :p

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Hey, Icecold. Can you give some background on team Planet 3DNow! ? I have not been apart of these events before.

So you are saying that they are sandbagging still? If so, any idea by how much?