WCG - 16th Birthday Challenge

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Sorry for so many posts...

I keep getting "connecting to client" icon's in the task bar that I end up killing through Windows Task Manager.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Copy and run this in a run box(windows key + r if you don't already have it enabled):

"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2

and then let me know if your BOINC instance 2 shortcut works.

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
You don't have to open that many BM in the 1st place. You just need one if you like to use BM. Switch to instances from there, don't open more new BM. You'll lose cpu and memory resources.

For your problem. From what i can see is

Main Boinc should be 31416
Boinc 1 should be 31417
Boinc 2 : 31418
Boinc 3 : 31419

and so on ... you had boinc3 at 31420 ... it's not gonna connect if you don't have the instance up
Boinc instance 3 found in C:\ProgramData\BOINC3
"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31420 /p 21498169a53a39a9d8f5b19458fbde07
Note that I add +2 to the port # from the instance before.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Thanks Steph I will follow up now.

Here is more info on my messed up setup :) These are from my .bat files I created to populate the new BOINC ProgramData folders. Maybe I messed up here?

Boinc Instance 2
PHP:
"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2
exit

Boinc Instance 3
PHP:
"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31420 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC3
exit

My edited and original BOINC file in the native ProgramData BOINC File" "cc_confix.xml". Note that I did up the number today inbetween the <allow_multiple_clients>3</allow_multiple_clients> line to reflect the number of instances I am trying to run. Changing the number from 1 to 4 I don't think has done anything.

<cc_config>
<log_flags>
</log_flags>
<options>
<client_download_url>http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do</client_download_url>
<client_version_check_url>http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/download_all.php?xml=1</client_version_check_url>
<network_test_url>http://www.ibm.com</network_test_url>
<allow_multiple_clients>3</allow_multiple_clients>
</options>
</cc_config>

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
As far as I know the allow multiple clients should be set to 1. I think it's asking allow multiple clients yes or no, with 0 being no and 1 being yes.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Those batch files look fine though. The ports don't match up with the guide, but they can be whatever as long as they don't conflict with another program on that port. If you go into C:\ProgramData\BOINC2 and open gui_rpc_auth.cfg does it say 21498169a53a39a9d8f5b19458fbde07 ?

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I would open task manager and see if it shows the clients running. Based on Stefan's advice attached is an output of my current task manager on a Windows 10 machine. If you open task manager and go under processes and right click where it says "Name" it will let you add columns. Add the command line column and see if you can find the BOINC Client processes.

Taskmanager.png

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I appreciate all of your help and extreme patience.

Icecold: Yes I incremented my follow on Ip port addresses by 2 each time instead of 1.

My gui_rpc_auth.cfg does say 21498169a53a39a9d8f5b19458fbde07 for instances 2 and 3.

I have a different gui_rpc_auth.cfg of for instance 4... It is "4498a71916aa2e76b6eaec7902429dff".

I have at this point over 2 days tried so many combinations that I may have created a new password, but not with WCG itself. I still use the same password for all instance connecting to the WCG.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Everything looks good on your batch files and everything. What I would do is reboot the PC at this point, and then run the batch files one at a time. Run the one that does the following:

exit

That will start the actual BOINC client running that is doing all the work in the background. Then start your shortcut that was:

Boinc instance 2 shortcut - points to C:\ProgramData\BOINC2
"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p 21498169a53a39a9d8f5b19458fbde07

That should get BOINC manager running and connected. From there we can figure out instance 3 and 4.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I am on BOINC Manager: 7.16.11 (x64).
I think that this is one or so back from current.

On one of my instances (I think I have 2 running, but I only think I started one myself? ) I am now getting a status from several tasks under the tasks tab of "Postponed: Waiting to acquire slot directory lock. Another instance my be running".

It is comical at this point.

I think on this puter, I should just reinstall BOINC and maybe lose the work from instance 2 and 3. I was able to upload Instance 1 work I believe...

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I would start with a reboot of the PC, but I guess it depends on how much work you processed on those instances. Reboot though will make sure no instances are running other than the main one, and then you can start them back up yourself one by one.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Main Boinc should be 31416
Boinc 1 should be 31417
Boinc 2 : 31418
Boinc 3 : 31419
It can be any port number, as long as it is not an allocated port number.
I eventually turned to use 40000 and upwards myself.

<allow_multiple_clients>3</allow_multiple_clients>
As Icecold mentioned, this takes either 0 or 1.
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration
Set it to 1 in each client, most importantly in the primary client. (You are starting the secondary clients with --allow_multiple_clients option, therefore these ones should be good already.)

I suspect you need to restart the primary client in order to get it to pick up the change.

You can change gui_rpc_auth.cfg after the fact. But changes to it are taken over by the client only after client restart.
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Controlling_BOINC_remotely

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Also, not to kill the fever, but multiple instances only do any good in bunkering situations. For normal running the one instance is fine, even if you have 128 CPU's !

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
Also, not to kill the fever, but multiple instances only do any good in bunkering situations. For normal running the one instance is fine, even if you have 128 CPU's !
agreed! But multi-instances also produce the same as a single instance. Why not have multi?
128T for 1 instance

8 instances with 16T still doing the same amount

Why not 8 instances?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I have a different gui_rpc_auth.cfg of for instance 4... It is "4498a71916aa2e76b6eaec7902429dff".

I have at this point over 2 days tried so many combinations that I may have created a new password, but not with WCG itself. I still use the same password for all instance connecting to the WCG.
The password for remote control of the client is separate from the passwords of the projects you connect with.

I am now getting a status from several tasks under the tasks tab of "Postponed: Waiting to acquire slot directory lock. Another instance my be running".
Uh oh. Perhaps more than one client was started using the same data directory. Check with taskmanager, with added 'command line' column.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Just a bit into my limited mind.

I only started down this path after my main puny puter ran out of tasks. I used to bunker by setting up a windows firewall rule to not allow BOINC to report back at all, that I could toggle. I then read that BOINC had that built in..... My bad.

Then when I tried to get BOINC to add as many tasks as possible through the preference settings to bunker before shutting off network connections I ran out of work on my puny Threadripper machine. So puny compared to so many of you!

Then I looked up trying to copy "boinc" tasks from one puter to another. No go.
Then I looked up how to run tasks from another puter form another, and then looked up several other ways. All idiotic!

So then I found how to start multiple instances, which really seamed to work well until it did not.

the BOINC Manager several days ago started to "hand" or response very slowly to any kind of mouse or keyboard input. Lots of example searches on the webs. So, after many many hours of Fing around with BM and after more hours of BM and beers, it is what it is so far.

I have been able to upload the bulk of work (I think) from this machine, and I hope to be able to upload another 4 days worth soon.

Fun deep dive for what it is worth to me :)

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
no need to apologize. Everyone needs to learn how to walk before they can run. Play around with it and i'm sure you'll get it in no time. I've always love the underdogs :D

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Stefan, you just blew my limited mind. I did not know that task manager had a "command line" option. So much to learn! Though I can't keep up...

Boinc client says I am running from the root boinc.exe -daemon. At this point. You all post advice so fast, I am trying to keep up. While fing around with the local machine dials. sorry.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I will try more tomorrow, but I think so far I cannot connect back to around 4 days worth of work on this puter. I may have been overriding old competed tasks, or they may be sitting there finished and I just cannot connect to upload. Either way I will be better prepared for the next run! I hope :)

Frustrating! But I will figure this out eventually!

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I will try more tomorrow, but I think so far I cannot connect back to around 4 days worth of work on this puter. I may have been overriding old competed tasks, or they may be sitting there finished and I just cannot connect to upload.
You can see the server's view of your client instances at My Contribution: Results Status. It's awkward to use though, among else because all client instances on the same computer most likely have the same computer name.

Further, to gain some info on what is left and what not, you can look into the client data directories and what files they contain in the projects\www.worldcommunitygrid.org\ subdirectory. It may be difficult to tell task files apart from results files though. (There are also files of the applications and their screensavers in there.) And of course the file client_state.xml in the client's top data directory contains information about any tasks and results which are left in the client.

To get this cleaned up, my suggestion would be to
  • first make sure that boinc is not automatically started at reboot
    (if in doubt, Windows users need to chime in whether or not this is possible to configure, and if so, how),
  • reboot as an easy means to shut down all clients,
  • edit all gui_rpc_auth.cfg files to contain a password which you can easily memorize and enter (or no password at all, if you know that the boinc RPC ports cannot be accessed remotely),
  • review all cc_config.xml files to contain <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>,
  • then start one client instance, — only one —, taking care of the right data directory and right port number in the command line of boinc.exe,
  • attach boincmgr to it,
  • check what's up with it, switch the WCG project state to "no new tasks", switch on network transfers, complete any left tasks before their deadline or abort tasks which are already past the deadline, upload all results, report all results = trigger an update of the WCG project,
  • shut the client down,
  • check in taskmanager that the client really was shut down,
  • repeat with one next client instance.
After that, proceed working with one of the instances, e.g. the primary one.
Later, look into BoincTasks as an additional means to control several client instances.
You will get the hang of running several instances safely at the same time too.

PS, use the "advanced view" of boincmgr, not the default simplified view.

Perhaps more than one client was started using the same data directory.
For Linux, I have a startup script which makes a good attempt to avoid this situation:
Step 5.1 in my Howto.
Maybe somebody experienced with Windows scripting can come up with an equivalent for Windows.
I once wrote one or another Powershell script, but I would have to re-learn the features and syntax of this scripting language every time, and I find it icky.

Last edited:

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
At some point during the last two hours, both WCG's own user stats pages and BoincStats have been updated with 1/2 day stats. FreeDC not yet.
In the last 38 minutes since you posted that Free-DC must have updated. I was checking stats on another project and noticed WCG has stats on there now.