[WCCFTech] Nvidia mining only cards on the way

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I'm not certain how much the resale price of a mining GPU fits into ROI calculations, many of them either flat out die, have their fans get clapped out, or develop visual artifacting during their short miserable lives, limiting resale value in many cases anyway.
I would argue I have treated my mining cards better than gaming only cards I have had. I have ALWAYS run mining cards underclocked and undervolted to reduce power usage, and I know quite a few miners do this. Whereas my gaming cards were always overclocked. I think the only thing maybe could be worse off on a mining card would be the fan, but if you get a good quality card it shouldn't be an issue unless you have the fan at 100% 24/7.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I would argue I have treated my mining cards better than gaming only cards I have had. I have ALWAYS run mining cards underclocked and undervolted to reduce power usage, and I know quite a few miners do this. Whereas my gaming cards were always overclocked. I think the only thing maybe could be worse off on a mining card would be the fan, but if you get a good quality card it shouldn't be an issue unless you have the fan at 100% 24/7.
From what I've seen, not everyone is as kind to their cards as you, but you are doing it right.

Reactions: ZGR

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Better they do this so that we don't end up with a situation where you can't get a gaming GPU at a decent price.

The current GPU availability situation is really annoying.

Except doing this won't change anything.

They aren't going to be much cheaper, and since they still require the same GPU chip as the regular GPU would they will still reduce the same "GPU Supply" chain. If demand is still high they will still buy regular GPUs.

This does nothing to fix any issue and will just cause more problems and tons of "worthless" GPUs once the mining craze moves on to a new thing and people try to dump them.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Asus MINING-P106-6G - promises 36% better hash than "same segment" and better durability
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/
level-up-performance.png

Asus MINING-RX470-4G - doesn't promise improved performance, just durability
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-RX470-4G/

Reactions: ZGR and Phynaz

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Phynaz

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
The design of Polaris might make it cheaper to leave the DVI port in place than to try and remove it? Maybe the card doesn't operate properly without hardware display circuitry? I could speculate all day. LOL

EDIT: I may have been close to the reason:
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...65-amdgpu-patches-for-virtual-display-feature

Back in the day when I was mining on my 5870s I had to use dummy plugs with DVI adapters and resistors, I don't remember the exact circumstances but I believe it was issues with software detecting GPUs without displays connected. Similar situation maybe.