Discussion [WCCF] Intel Claims Xeon Cascade Lake-AP 56 Core CPU Up To 84% Faster Than AMD’s 64 Core EPYC Rome 7742 in Real-World HPC Benchmarks

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Intel #1, AMD #nobody.
:kissingheart:

Who would have thought that AMD would get beaten by Intel. Like oh my gosh~ I still remember my Chedder hill rekking these Krypton-8 bois.

Last edited:

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
well Intel is promoting what they can
looks definitely as the least effective machine for cinepeenbenching but HPC is all about mem bandwitch
12 Mem channels, avx512, looks entirely possible
about that TDP- today no value from either manufacturer

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Serve The Home has an article up detailing how the GROMACS benchmark was done in a misleading way.
Besides they are using an old version of the Linux kernel.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
Serve The Home has an article up detailing how the GROMACS benchmark was done in a misleading way.
Besides they are using an old version of the Linux kernel.
interesting, so either they lie or are incompetent
both can happen in such a company of this size

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
What I want to know, is how do these people think the rest of the world is stupid enough to not find their deception ? Again, this reeks of desperation.

Nothing to see here, move along....

Well, AMD does the same thing. We all know these companies will do anything in their benchmarks to make their product look good against their competition.

Reactions: Pilum

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Well, AMD does the same thing. We all know these companies will do anything in their benchmarks to make their product look good against their competition.
OK, but with Rome we have seen independent benchmarks, and they don;t show this.

Reactions: Drazick

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, I also want to see independent benchmarks of Xeon Platinum 9200 series, but will they be able to find any lol. I don't think independent reviewers will be able to get 56-core parts until Cooper Lake.
So Intel is publishing benchmarks on a CPU nobody can get their hands on, but Rome is widely available. So again, hos dishonest is that ?

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
So Intel is publishing benchmarks on a CPU nobody can get their hands on, but Rome is widely available. So again, hos dishonest is that ?

You know that if Intel really had a part that could easily win benchmarks and stuff they would gladly hand out samples to press. Anandtech, Servethehome, Phoronix and the like at the least...

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
What I want to know, is how do these people think the rest of the world is stupid enough to not find their deception ? Again, this reeks of desperation.
They did similar things 10 years ago when they released the first Atom chips, making biased comparisons against ARM chips. Many people accepted that as the truth even educated ones.

Nothing new here alas. Marketing is made by liars, no matter the company.

Reactions: lightmanek

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017

What does that have to do with Intel and AMD fabricating benchmarks on their favor on their own PR pieces. I was pointing out that both companies are doing it, regardless of what independent reviews are showing otherwise.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
One really interesting thing is the number of workloads of each benchmark. Why does the number vary from benchmark to benchmark? What was the key to determine how many workloads to run?

BTW what is "manufactoring"? Does Intel have a typo in the headline of the second slide???

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Of course, as expected, they used an old version of GROMACS to artificially make their chip look better.
GROMACS is only 20% faster...it's HPL ,LAMMPS and FSI which are 58-84% faster that are pushing the geomean up so high.
One really interesting thing is the number of workloads of each benchmark. Why does the number vary from benchmark to benchmark? What was the key to determine how many workloads to run?
To fill up all of the cores,if it's a two chip setup you will have to run at least one per CPU if the workload can't use even that many cores you will have to run multiple instances even on each CPU, and then you would also want enough to to make the CPU run long enough to get into sustained boost clocks,

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

Did you actually read that? They used a highly optimized for Intel benchmark with heavy use of the AVX-512. They didn't quite run it as optimized as Intel ended up running it (maybe better ICC). So to some degree there is a misrepresentation of the number but this isn't anywhere near comparable to using an Intel benchmark that runs like pooh on any non-intel CPU and advertising as a real world example and therefore tons better.

Reactions: spursindonesia

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
To fill up all of the cores,if it's a two chip setup you will have to run at least one per CPU if the workload can't use even that many cores you will have to run multiple instances even on each CPU, and then you would also want enough to to make the CPU run long enough to get into sustained boost clocks,
When running two different systems with different CPUs with different core count, one could guess that the number of workloads determined this way would be different for both systems. Which of these two numbers did they choose?

Reactions: lightmanek

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

Nothing to see here, move along....
I guess it is about creating an headline someone will see on a news feed or google search and won't read anything else.

That was how I first came into contact with this story.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Well, I also want to see independent benchmarks of Xeon Platinum 9200 series, but will they be able to find any lol. I don't think independent reviewers will be able to get 56-core parts until Cooper Lake.

Afaik Ian might be the only one that currently has access to one. I don't think STH has gotten one anyway.