Ways to make Windows 10 stop sharing your information

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A lot of people are concerned about this, so I think we need to have a thread about what we all are doing to make sure Windows 10 isn't mining our data (or at least too much of it).

Here is what I have done so far:

1. On the initial Settings screen during setup, choose Customize, select No for everything, create a new account with a standard user name.

2. Once you are in Windows, click on Cortana, click on the Gear icon on the left, turn both off.

3. From here, you can click on 'other privacy settings', and from this menu just go down the list on the left and turn everything off. There is one thing, on the Feedback and Diagnostics section, that can't be switched off, but Diagnostic and usage data can be switched to basic here.

4. From here, you can select the back arrow on the top LH corner of the screen. Then select Update and security. On this page, you want to select Advanced Options at the bottom of the Windows Update section. Select Choose how updates are delivered and turn this option off. The bottom area should now be grayed out.

5. If you are worried about Defender, you can select Windows Defender and turn off Cloud-based Protection and Sample submission. I don't believe the default setting are any different from Windows Defender in the past, or any other AV.

6. Live tiles. You have two options here. You can simply turn off "Live," or you can just remove them. If you turned off receiving info for the app on the Privacy page, it won't matter what you select, because your selection on the Start menu won't overrule your Privacy selection.

7. Task Scheduler. Here are some tasks that should be disabled, as their only purpose is feedback to Microsoft. From Task Scheduler, go to Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows. Right click tasks in these categories and select off.

a. Application Experience
b. Autochk
c. Customer Experience Improvement Program

8. Turn off Telemetry.
a. For all versions but Home:

i. Pull up your search window and type gpedit.msc
ii. Go to: Computer Configuration >Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection
iii. Open Allow Telemetry and Select Off.

b. For Home:

i. Go to regedit
ii. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/DataCollection DWORD AllowTelemetry
iii. Create a new a 32-bit DWORD value named AllowTelemetry and set it to 0

9. Here are some articles with other ideas and apps to try. I have not tested everything on these pages.
http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.single.html
https://bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spying-prevention-privacy-tools/

I am sure I am missing some things, so let's see what else the community has to offer.
Note - Almost all of these areas have links to information on what and how the data is used, so you can make an informed decision about what to turn off/leave on.

Last edited:

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
To tell you the truth i don't worry about none of that and use Win 10 Express settings,
the only thing i don't want is Win 10 Browser ,but i just use it to get to Chrome Download page,since i'm signed in to chrome, it keeps all my links,settings and extensions like ABP all ready to sync on all my Machines,don't use anything besides Win integrated protection,and so far so good.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
User account sharing turn it off and as you mention Cloud.otherwise turn the pc off. and run forest run:D

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Turning cortana off doesn't work... That little clingy b$tch want's to stay around no matter what. You look under processes and she will still take about 30MB of ram even after turned off. I put 7 back on. Besides that I was having way too many bluescreens with 10.... Just because you turn a setting off in the gui with 10 doesn't mean it's really off.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Adding a point to the OP about live tiles. The forum isn't allowing me right now, so I will post it here:

- Live tiles. You have two options here. You can simply turn off "Live," or you can just remove them. If you turned off receiving info for the app on the Privacy page, it won't matter what you select, because your selection on the Start menu won't overrule your Privacy selection.

Edit: the edit issue has been fixed. Adding to top post.

Last edited:

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I use local account and separate hotmail/outlook email accounts for each individual app, I've always done that with Win 8.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Maybe I am missing the obvious, but how exactly are you doing this?
When you open Win 10 apps like Maps or Skype you get this when adding an account. And can be different with each app rather than the one and same across the entire PC- eg. I have a different email for my XBL account and different one for Skype, etc.
add-ms-account.PNG

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Thanks. I haven't played with the Store yet, so this is a bit new to me.

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you are using Windows 10, you have been assimilated. :) I wish that was a joke.

Probably the best effort I've seen so far to combat all the spying, telemetry, totally innocent data gathering (trust me, check's in the mail), nonsense going on in 10 is the file you will find here: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...10-TELEMETRY-REPOSITORY?p=1115037#post1115037

I hope I'm allowed to post that without violating anything. :)

Last edited:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I haven't really changed anything here, since the only thing I plan to use this PC for is playing games on Steam.

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
My hosts file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
0.0.0.0 vortex.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
0.0.0.0 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com

DustinBrowder

Jul 22, 2015
Go to your hosts file and copy the following list there: http://pastebin.com/050GLwG8

I also suggest removing ALL apps from your OS. These are the biggest privacy violators as they constantly send all sorts of data.

Follow the option to remove them all: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4689-apps-uninstall-windows-10-a.html

Another thing to do is block ALL telemetry, just google: stop win10 telemetry and you should get results explaining how to stop most of it. You can't stop all of it, but with the hosts file, with the removal of all apps and then modifying the registry and group policy settings you can come very close to it.

I've done all of this and STILL win10 spies on me. So if you don't do all of the above, you are in a world of hurt and you risk all your data for work, education, business, banking, health, etc... being leaked to microsoft.

Also check out my signature to see how windows 10 is essentially a trojan horse!

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
When you open Win 10 apps like Maps or Skype you get this when adding an account. And can be different with each app rather than the one and same across the entire PC- eg. I have a different email for my XBL account and different one for Skype, etc.
I use both Skype and Maps and windows 10....that just does not happen if you have things set up properly.............all thesde kids complaining about windows 10 and 1/2 the things that are wrong is their own fault...the other 1/2 is a combination of both!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Go to your hosts file and copy the following list there: http://pastebin.com/050GLwG8

I also suggest removing ALL apps from your OS. These are the biggest privacy violators as they constantly send all sorts of data.

Follow the option to remove them all: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Another thing to do is block ALL telemetry, just google: stop win10 telemetry and you should get results explaining how to stop most of it. You can't stop all of it, but with the hosts file, with the removal of all apps and then modifying the registry and group policy settings you can come very close to it.

I've done all of this and STILL win10 spies on me. So if you don't do all of the above, you are in a world of hurt and you risk all your data for work, education, business, banking, health, etc... being leaked to microsoft.
<--Priceless!! 55 posts and we are going to follow your advice?? Seems like you have always had a thing against Microsoft! Starting your own crusade?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I use both Skype and Maps and windows 10....that just does not happen if you have things set up properly.............all thesde kids complaining about windows 10 and 1/2 the things that are wrong is their own fault...the other 1/2 is a combination of both!!

What?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Found a registry value to edit,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection, select AllowTelemetry, change its value to 0, then apply.

And a couple to delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\SQMLogger

I am not putting these into the OP, at least not until I have tried them myself.

I also have mixed feelings about the hosts file. On one hand, these may be pretty effective. But I think changing the settings that are allowing these communications would be more effective.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Advocating turning off Smartscreen Filter is pretty dumb.

I personally don't like it. Just another way for MS to see where you go. However, if you go to any and every site that offers games and apps for free, you probably want it enabled.

SmartScreen Filter uses an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) web connection to send website addresses to Microsoft. For more information about what data is sent and how it is used, go to the Internet Explorer Privacy Statement online.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1406-internet-explorer-smartscreen-filter-turn-off.html

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I am fine with the Mozilla filter. I don't use Chrome. Thank you for your concern.

Blintok

Jan 30, 2007
My solution to all this is to dump Microsoft and Windows. I will still keep Win 8.1 on the game computer but the other one i will load up with Linux Mint 17.2. I mostly use this computer for web (Firefox) and email (Thunderbird) and that comes with Mint. Also Vlan for movies. And if it wasnt for mmorpg i could even get by using Steam with Linux for games.
Mint looks like it comes with everything i need and run already. So thanks Windows 10, you have pushed me off to Linux