Way to force phone to continue playing video when screen locked? (Android)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Hello friends,

Is there any way to do this? Some of the podcasts I listen to now have a video component, but I would like to listen to them just like I do my audio podcasts (i.e. while walking around or whatever; not having to look at the screen). However every time my screen times out and goes to lock, the video stops. Is there a way to get around this?

I searched around a bit, but did not see anything definitive on this (lots of Youtube discussion, but that's about it).

I'm on a Samsung Galaxay SIIX (same as the T-Mobile variant) running Android 4.1.2

Thanks in advance!

KT

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If they are on a site like Youtube then you can always use one of those youtube to mp3 sites.

Otherwise I would love an answer myself. My current solution (for say live streaming Flash video) is to not let the screen lock.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, but doing that is very annoying. I was listening to the Pardcast-a-thon on Friday and had to hold my phone carefully in my hand as I walked around so I didn't accidentally swipe the screen or whatever since the screen had to stay active the whole time. Stupid.

KT

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I had once listened to a video podcast like an audio stream using gReader. That, I think, was a bug rather than a feature. The app supposedly supported video podcasts but when I tried it I could only hear audio (screen went blank). Audio kept playing after the screen shut down. I haven't tried it again since.

So maybe there are buggy apps that are supposed to play video and audio but unable to play video portion. Could be an interesting solution.

Jan 20, 2013
MX Player allows you to listen to video with the screen off. Problem is that you need the actual mp4/mkv/avi/etc file to play it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have MX Player, so I guess I could get the direct files for some of them. Some of the streaming stuff though, that will not work unfortunately.

I'm kind of shocked there is not a well known fix for this. I thought more people would be in the same boat.

KT

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
I vaguely remember reading somewhere in the past week that Youtube, at least, would be fixing this. I think it's going to correspond with the new (second??) music service/Youtube integration that Google's starting.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Try an iPhone trick. Start the podcast, then click share and do a text or mail. It will bring up the window for it and the video SHOULD keep playing. Then power off and hopefully the video keeps playing.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Hello friends,

Is there any way to do this? Some of the podcasts I listen to now have a video component, but I would like to listen to them just like I do my audio podcasts (i.e. while walking around or whatever; not having to look at the screen). However every time my screen times out and goes to lock, the video stops. Is there a way to get around this?

I searched around a bit, but did not see anything definitive on this (lots of Youtube discussion, but that's about it).

I'm on a Samsung Galaxay SIIX (same as the T-Mobile variant) running Android 4.1.2

Thanks in advance!

KT

I would suggest using Pocket Casts -- There is a button in the app that allows you to "send it to the background" and allow it to stream in the background.

alangrift

May 21, 2013
There are 3rd party Youtube apps out there that will do it. Or you could just download the MP3 version of videos using one of the websites previously mentioned.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ok, well I will look into some of those things, thanks.

Still does not seem to solve the issue of streaming from a browser. Guess I just have to live with that.

KT

AnonRekcah

Mar 20, 2014
its funny because some Android phones will allow you to play youtube music with screen lock.it shows up like Music Player in the notification bar

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Its not just a youtube thing its an Android thing. On the bright side, I used to use it to skip Pandora ads. Close the screen when the video is playing and it skips it :D

Feb 19, 2001

fufu

Dec 12, 2016
Try No Pause Lock on google play. Great app that simply allows you to lock your phone without pausing active app like YouTube with lock screen
http://www.nopauselock.eu

Last edited:

o306

Mar 23, 2015
Play the video or podcast in firefox browser and it will continue playing with a locked screen. Works on youtube as well as other video sites. If you have t-mobile, playing youtube in the browser will count against your data, binge-on only works with the youtube app.

This will work in google chrome too except on youtube, but the first time you lock the screen the video will stop playing. The lock screen will have a play button to continue playing however. This is true for the couple of sites I used chrome.

Better to use firefox though. You get adblock, plus it plays smoother in my experience.