Question Way to find what's crashing on boot

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Getting an issue suddenly on Win 7 where it gets to the logo then hangs. It also wouldn't go into safe mode. It hangs at classpnp.sys. Most things I've found say it's hanging on whatever comes next. I haven't been able to find a way to determine what that is.

I did find that when it hangs if I hit <ctrl><break> it gets past it, once it's past it, everything works fine w/o issue. I already went through and unplugged everything I can, did scannow, chkdsk, repairs, memory tests, disk scans, root check, virus/malware scans, disabled all startup and service items, and a plethora of other things and the issue persists.

I have dual boot and Win10 boots up without issue. As far as I can tell this isn't a hardware issue and is most likely a driver issue.

My 'guess' is it's probably the graphics driver since that is the only thing that's changed in the last 3-4 months, but I also tested onboard video and the issue happened when doing that as well. (My next step will be to do a full driver cleanup of that).

Anyway my actual question is, is there a way to find the boot order of drivers to determine what driver is actually having an issue?

ASK THE COMMUNITY