Waxman will probe areas of Bush government

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mail5398

Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: Mail5398
I voted Democrat for the first time this year because I wanted a check to the Republicans. I will not vote Democrat next time though if Pelosi and Waxman spend the next two years investigating Abu Grhraib and other things in the past. Democrats have a real chance now to show leadership for the future. A viable solution for Iraq and way to stop the spiraling national debt. I think voters like myself want solutions not witch trials. We will see what happens.

Solutions should include holding those responsible accountable for wrong doings.

If you really feel that Congress should focus all of its energy on "probing" the past the next two years then electing Democrats this time will be a waste and I will almost guarantee you that they will lose the White House and at least one part of Congress in 08. The Democrats won the election by going moderate, if they head left again they will betray voters like myself.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I voted Democrat for the first time this year because I wanted a check to the Republicans. I will not vote Democrat next time though if Pelosi and Waxman spend the next two years investigating Abu Grhraib and other things in the past. Democrats have a real chance now to show leadership for the future. A viable solution for Iraq and way to stop the spiraling national debt. I think voters like myself want solutions not witch trials. We will see what happens.

So, if somebody does something incredibly wrong that violates the meaning of this country *AND* allows for future abuses to continue, we should simply ignore the previous violations and the loopholes and move on?

That's pretty stupid.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: flavio

Solutions should include holding those responsible accountable for wrong doings.

If you really feel that Congress should focus all of its energy on "probing" the past the next two years then electing Democrats this time will be a waste and I will almost guarantee you that they will lose the White House and at least one part of Congress in 08. The Democrats won the election by going moderate, if they head left again they will betray voters like myself.

I don't feel the entire Congress should focus on probing. The Reform Committee doing it's job should be good enough.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The Congress has 'Oversight' responsibility... that is their job as well as all the legislative stuff that flows from that... As well as the mundane legislating that must go on..

They have to look into what occurred in the past because the Right has given a clean bill of health to every action taken by the Executive (as one would expect)..

Why is it that when suspected violation of law in society is reported folks want to 'string them up' but when society is the victim of Governmental abuse.. either monitary or otherwise folks will give the perpetrators a pass.. and actually defend the actions.. That is insane!... Government MUST be open and accountable and the biggest change I'd like to see is for that to occur..

AND.... I'd like to see the innocent given 'atta boys' and the guilty given what they deserve.. I want to KNOW what happened to the missing money in Iraq.. the abuse of power and the attempted denial of basic civil rights to some citizens..
The Iraqi invasion ... well.. i'd like to know about the reason.. the real reason we went in there.. and weigh that against the lives lost... If it is reasonable that we went ... regardless of any other issues or laws... I'd be willing to give the President a pass on that too.. but only if it is not to enrich some at the cost of others..

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
[
If you really feel that Congress should focus all of its energy on "probing" the past the next two years

No one said all. You're the one demanding zero, and therefore no accountability.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Investigating is what congress is SUPPOSED to be doing. It is not a left or right thing, it is a "doing your job" thing. Investigations also have absolutely nothing to do with impeachment.

Impeachment simply won't happen without something new and horrendous being uncovered. I'd bet everything I own on it. First of all, even if they wanted to impeach Bush, they wouldn't get a conviction... not enough votes. If they somehow DID get a conviction though, then Dick Cheney would be president. That's even worse! Won't happen. Ever.

Congress is weaker now then it has ever been at any point in our nation's history. This is not a liberal or conservative problem, this is a health of the institution problem. Whether you agree with the policies or not, the president has come out and explicitly stated that he does not feel bound to follow the laws that congress passes. If that doesn't scare you and make you want congress to start standing up for itself... you have become so blinded by partisanship that you are beyond reason.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Is there *any* Cabinet in the Bushco admin that hasn't been party to corruption and scandal?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I hope he starts with the CA energy "crisis," and why FERC stood by and did nothing.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: senseamp
I hope he starts with the CA energy "crisis," and why FERC stood by and did nothing.

The fact that Ken Lay was Bush's largest donor in history at the time is an issue.

And that the democratic CA governor was refusing to sign off on a sweetheart deal to let Enron off the hook, while Arnold Schwarzeneggar was meeting secretly with Enron at Enron's request to work out a plan, and the next thing you know, there's a recall campaign that took the governor out of office and elected Arnold - Enron deal signed.

Not 2% of Californians know that history IMO, while they just re-elected Arnold.