Wave goodbye to my VW, say hello to... *edit: just got back from the dealer*

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: z0mb13
do u have to replace the engine every tens thousand of miles like the old rx7??

Nope, that is not necessary.

Naturally aspirated rotary engines are actually very reliable. It's when you introduce forced induction (like the last generation RX-7) that the problems begin. :(

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
If it were a US auto, I would have bought your Golf:(

Definitely a shame. :(

I babied that car... whoever gets it next will be glad I took such good care of it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Oh sweet! I thought for a moment that you'd bought a new maxima and my heart was to melt at the thought of it, but an RX8 is pretty freaking sweet. I know you'll like it more than that VW piece of broken down crap :D

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
nice car and nice choice! i hope you enjoy your car to the fullest =)

but there's this saying that me and my friends have on rotary engines....ZOOM ZOOM BOOM!

im pretty sure if you keep the motor N/A you wont have any probs on it tho!

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Oh sweet! I thought for a moment that you'd bought a new maxima and my heart was to melt at the thought of it, but an RX8 is pretty freaking sweet. I know you'll like it more than that VW piece of broken down crap :D

Oh come on, you know I would never let you have the satisfaction of converting me to a Nissan zealot.

Never. :p

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Originally posted by: TubStain
Originally posted by: TubStain
you might want to check out the RX-8 forums to see how other people are finding their cars. People seem to be "flooding the engine". I absolutely love the car though and have been reading up about it.

RX-8 Forums

Thanks for the tip, i've already been reading all the great information that has been posted over there. The "flooding" problem can be avoided if you're careful about when you shut off the car. It's best to let it sit for 30-60 seconds before shutting it down.

So you mean, when you park the car and are ready to get out, instead you let the engine idle for 30 seconds and THEN turn it off and leave?

That is correct.

This idea is similar to leaving a turbocharged car to idle before turning it off after a period of hard driving.

Get a turbo timer. You'll love it. My friend is so happy we got him one for his birthday (he's got a Volvo Turbo). Its about $100 US and only takes a few minutes to install if you've got a wiring diagram.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: gregshin

but there's this saying that me and my friends have on rotary engines....ZOOM ZOOM BOOM!

You know it! I plan on autocrossing it as soon as the weather gets nice up here. :D

I plan on keeping the motor N/A for now, as i've heard way WAY too many horror stories of rotaries turning into grenades when forced induction is introduced. :(

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Gyrene
Originally posted by: SampSon
Here in reality, most of us can't afford to pay cash for everything.
That's a cop-out. You just can't afford the stuff you want.
Please... auto financing right now is so cheap that I purposefully financed 100% of my new car last year instead of paying cash (which I could have done).

Basically, if interest rate < rate of inflation then loan money = free.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

You know it! I plan on autocrossing it as soon as the weather gets nice up here. :D

I plan on keeping the motor N/A for now, as i've heard way WAY too many horror stories of rotaries turning into grenades when forced induction is introduced. :(

You saw the video of the guys who blew up the rotary engine didn't you?

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000

best thing for autoxing would be tires! i would honestly get some decent lightweight rims and some sticky tires! preferebly yokohama AVS ES100;s or AVS sports

these rims would be PERFECT cuz they are cheap and lightwieght!

Pic of the rims!

close up the rim

pics of the rims mounted on a car...click em to get a closer shot!

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

You saw the video of the guys who blew up the rotary engine didn't you?

I saw the one with the guy who was doing a burnout for about 5 minutes at maximum RPM's. Is that the one you're talking about? :confused:

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Did you pay cash? If not, it was a bad decision.
I probably won't be able to convince you of that, however.

Nope, I did not pay cash although I am open to hearing your thoughts.

What exactly makes it such a bad decision?

Financing something that depreciates in value? Assuming 5.9% for 60 months and a $2600USD downpayment, you're going to be paying $3600USD more than what you settled on. With cash, near-invoice would have been the final price. I've always been taught to buy only what you can afford. If you can't afford it, save up for it, don't become tied down to payments.

Regardless, you have a sweet ass car.

Oh boy I guess your just sooo much better then everyone else. How about this... You only live once! Thats right. So go out and buy what ever floats your boat. Thats what I've been told and I don't care what you think. Because in the end it doesn't matter except if your enjoying your life.

Nice Car, and who cares what anyone thinks. You bought it and you have the payments. Life is waaay to short so enjoy your ride.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: SampSon
I've had enough "reliable" $3000 cars. The money you have to put into them, would be better spent purchasing a superior car.
I need something more than a rust bucket to drive my 1000+ miles a week.

Free college? Tuition assistance? I guess that's ok if you go to a community college.
Now, I have some debt, and I also have a excellent credit rating. I'm willing to bet that if I walked into a mortgage lender right now, I would walk with a better deal than you, due to credit usage history. Credit isn't a debt trap if you know what you're doing.

I don't care how you live you life, and I don't care if you think that you are superior in any fashion. I'll be able to retire in about 15 years because of my plan. So you go ahead and put everything on credit right now, that's fine by me.

You could be dead in 15 years. Is that the way you want to live? Live today buddy and don't worry about whats going to happen in 15 years.

:)

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
i want the RX-7 Back! that will look so much better than the RX-8 with its messed up looking suicide doors.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Just noticed this thread from pics.bbzzdd.com ... hmmm... 5.9% finance ? My dad picked up a Mazda MPV 8 months ago for 0%... are you sure that was the absolute best they could do now ?

Nice car regardless.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Just noticed this thread from pics.bbzzdd.com ... hmmm... 5.9% finance ? My dad picked up a Mazda MPV 8 months ago for 0%... are you sure that was the absolute best they could do now ?

Nice car regardless.
Canada.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
whats with the thread crappers? both Freejack2 and Gyrene have to post showing how much smarter and better they are then the OP.

wtf shut up and let the guy enjoy his ride.

anyway. I had a RX-7 man i loved it. thought about getting a rx-8 but having a kid kind of killed off that idea.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
UPDATE:

Just purchased a Titanium Grey 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT, loaded with every option but Navigation ($3,000 option :disgust: ). Got it for $3,000 under invoice, but only got $16,000 trade on my TDI. :eek: