Wave goodbye to my VW, say hello to... *edit: just got back from the dealer*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: SampSon
No it's not a cop-out at all. Most younger poeple can't afford to pay cash for large ticket items such as a car.

With my job I NEED a car that is in tiptop shape. By no means would I have been able to afford to ever pay cash for it.

So, your "pay cash for everything" is more cliche than you would like to believe.

You can find some reliable cars for around $3000. My "pay cash for everything" isn't cliche at all. I hardly make any money, and yet I'm able to have a paid-for car, free college education, and a high credit rating with no debt. It's possible to do it, most people just don't want to do the work required.

Originally posted by: Ameesh
i guess you dont believe in credit also?

if you live in the USA you are screwing yourself.

I believe in credit for things such as houses. Credit, otherwise, is a debt-trap. I use my CC because I get 1% cash back, and I pay off my CC at the end of every month. I live in the USA, and I'm hardly screwing myself.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIANI can attest to snows being handy on a RWD coupe. I wish our 240 had traction contorl or VSC...it might have still been here today.
Oh I guess I mistook you for another ATOTer who was in Oakville.

:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q

What happened to the 240?

My dad totalled it a year ago (acutally just over a year ago) on the Gardiner Expway. I figured you knew, as I had posted about it. He somehow lost control when he hit some black ice on the road, car fishtailed...and went hit the barrier then flew across the lanes and hit the other barrier. He was lucky the highway was almost empty at that particular section..and he's pretty lucky to come out unharmed. That car was very, very safe. I saw it in the junkyard (I wasn't there when this happened)..the front and rear was demolished...but the passenger compartment was untouched (well apart from the white stuff that comes from the airbag deployment).

But yeah, driving that car on Hakka1 snow tires in winter was a piece of cake..I actually preffered it to FWD. Only catch was you had to drive smoothly..meaning you can't just give gas..because if you do, you could suddenly fishtail while going straight. But if you drive slow and easy, it was fine.

As soon as I graduate & save up enough money, I'm buying another 95 240SX.

You can find some reliable cars for around $3000. My "pay cash for everything" isn't cliche at all. I hardly make any money, and yet I'm able to have a paid-for car, free college education, and a high credit rating with no debt. It's possible to do it, most people just don't want to do the work required.
I've had enough "reliable" $3000 cars. The money you have to put into them, would be better spent purchasing a superior car.
I need something more than a rust bucket to drive my 1000+ miles a week.

Free college? Tuition assistance? I guess that's ok if you go to a community college.
Now, I have some debt, and I also have a excellent credit rating. I'm willing to bet that if I walked into a mortgage lender right now, I would walk with a better deal than you, due to credit usage history. Credit isn't a debt trap if you know what you're doing.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: SampSon
I've had enough "reliable" $3000 cars. The money you have to put into them, would be better spent purchasing a superior car.
I need something more than a rust bucket to drive my 1000+ miles a week.

Free college? Tuition assistance? I guess that's ok if you go to a community college.
Now, I have some debt, and I also have a excellent credit rating. I'm willing to bet that if I walked into a mortgage lender right now, I would walk with a better deal than you, due to credit usage history. Credit isn't a debt trap if you know what you're doing.

I don't care how you live you life, and I don't care if you think that you are superior in any fashion. I'll be able to retire in about 15 years because of my plan. So you go ahead and put everything on credit right now, that's fine by me.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
N8, congrats. My fiancees sister is actually on her way to my house right now to show off her "new" 2000 Jetta TDI. 74k miles, 5spd. $8999 w/ 2 year warranty. I told her to avoid VW but she was set on getting a Jetta, TDI or otherwise. I think the TDIs are a little more reliable than the other flavors, no?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Nice car. What did you cross shop with?

Oh, and fsck the finance bashers. Not all of us have inlaws giving us $8,000 for a car or 7 digit estate in our name.

I'm not getting nasty, just stating the facts.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
you might want to check out the RX-8 forums to see how other people are finding their cars. People seem to be "flooding the engine". I absolutely love the car though and have been reading up about it.

RX-8 Forums

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Nice car. What did you cross shop with?

Oh, and fsck the finance bashers. Not all of us have inlaws giving us $8,000 for a car or 7 digit estate in our name.

I'm not getting nasty, just stating the facts.

I cross-shopped with a number of other vehicles, (S2000, Mazdaspeed Miata, WRX, etc.) and this car really stuck out as the "total-package" if you know what I mean.

It's not the fastest car on the road, but it is definitely quick enough for my tastes. ;)

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: TubStain
you might want to check out the RX-8 forums to see how other people are finding their cars. People seem to be "flooding the engine". I absolutely love the car though and have been reading up about it.

RX-8 Forums

Thanks for the tip, i've already been reading all the great information that has been posted over there. The "flooding" problem can be avoided if you're careful about when you shut off the car. It's best to let it sit for 30-60 seconds before shutting it down.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Freejack2
Probably, look closely at what you really paid. Odds are you got owned somewhere. Wether it be front end, back end, financing, or whatever, they got you somewhere. If you financed don't be suprised if you find out you could have gotten a loan elsewhere for a 1 or 2% less interest rate.
Anyways nice car, have fun with it.

No ownage by the dealer, and the finance rate was a reasonable 5.9%. My bank couldn't do much better, so I decided to just go with the manufacturers financing.

I even managed to avoid the window etching and scotchgard scams they usually try to pull when selling a car cheaper than usual. :D

I bought a 2004 Camry friday night. My Credit Union gave me 4.25% interest rate. when it came time to sit down with the finance guy the ass tried to get me to sign papers to get financed through Toyota at 5.9%. Then the usual scam started with an extra $1,100 bucks for an extended warranty. The ass didnt get the hint until i told him either takes off that charge or im walking.

I got it for $1500 below invoice and they tried hard to make up that cash.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001

RX-8 Forums

Thanks for the tip, i've already been reading all the great information that has been posted over there. The "flooding" problem can be avoided if you're careful about when you shut off the car. It's best to let it sit for 30-60 seconds before shutting it down.

So you mean, when you park the car and are ready to get out, instead you let the engine idle for 30 seconds and THEN turn it off and leave?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
do u have to replace the engine every tens thousand of miles like the old rx7??

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

RX-8 Forums

So you mean, when you park the car and are ready to get out, instead you let the engine idle for 30 seconds and THEN turn it off and leave?

That is correct.

This idea is similar to leaving a turbocharged car to idle before turning it off after a period of hard driving.