Wave goodbye to my VW, say hello to... *edit: just got back from the dealer*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Atlantean
Nice car... you posted the license on the net for everyone to see though.

Not my car.

I figured more people might pick up on that, seeing as the leaves changed here about 5 months ago. :D

Murphy Durphy

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2003
Nice car... you posted the license on the net for everyone to see though.

Why does everyone blur out their license plate? What exactly can you even do with that? You'd think if it was so dangerous to have someone's license plate numbers they would cover them up on a regular basis....

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Did you pay cash? If not, it was a bad decision.
I probably won't be able to convince you of that, however.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Gyrene

Nope, I did not pay cash although I am open to hearing your thoughts.

What exactly makes it such a bad decision?

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
What exactly was wrong with the tdi golf? I am thinking about getting one... maybe I will reconsider now.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
What exactly was wrong with the tdi golf? I am thinking about getting one... maybe I will reconsider now.

Nothing major, just a couple of problems with trim that the dealer kept beating around the bush on fixing.

In addition, I no longer commute so the amazing mileage provided by the TDI drivetrain was no longer a neccessity.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
Isn't 34k CDN MSRP for the RX8??

Wat options did you get? When are you picking it up? When can I get a ride?

MSRP for the base GS model is $36,795CDN. No options, although i'm considering switching to the GT model as it includes a number of features that are of interest to me.

I plan on picking it up during the first week of April, as i'm too lazy to put the snow tires on right away. :eek:

And yes, i'll give you a ride. :D

so you haven't bought the car yet? As in haven't signed the papers?

You live in Oakville area right? I'll be moving there this Sept/Oct..whenever house gets built.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002

Nope, I did not pay cash although I am open to hearing your thoughts.

What exactly makes it such a bad decision?

Financing something that depreciates in value? Assuming 5.9% for 60 months and a $2600USD downpayment, you're going to be paying $3600USD more than what you settled on. With cash, near-invoice would have been the final price. I've always been taught to buy only what you can afford. If you can't afford it, save up for it, don't become tied down to payments.

Regardless, you have a sweet ass car.

Originally posted by: SampSon
Gee, now you can't be a VW zealot anymore.

Nope, I guess not.

I thought this may come as a surprise to some of you. ;)
Naw, now you will just be a mazda zealot. :)
Maybe just a rotary zealot. :D
Until you have to get the brushes on the rotary replaced/refinished.

Financing something that depreciates in value? Assuming 5.9% for 60 months and a $2600USD downpayment, you're going to be paying $1000USD more than what you settled on. With cash, near-invoice would have been the final price. I've always been taught to buy only what you can afford. If you can't afford it, save up for it, don't become tied down to payments.

Regardless, you have a sweet ass car.
Here in reality, most of us can't afford to pay cash for everything.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

MSRP for the base GS model is $36,795CDN. No options, although i'm considering switching to the GT model as it includes a number of features that are of interest to me.

I plan on picking it up during the first week of April, as i'm too lazy to put the snow tires on right away. :eek:

You live in Oakville area right? I'll be moving there this Sept/Oct..whenever house gets built.
Nope, not just yet. The papers are drawn up and waiting for my signature. My only hang up is whether to step up to the GT trim level from the GS. The difference is only $2,800 and it includes:

- Dynamic Stablilty Control
- Traction Control
- Leather seats
- Xenon headlamps
- Heated seats
- Auto-Dimming rear-view mirror

You get alot for the extra money. :confused:

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002

That's a cop-out. You just can't afford the stuff you want.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

So true.

While I agree with your ideas in principle, the bottom line is that it would take me far too long to save up $36,000. :D

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002

So true.

While I agree with your ideas in principle, the bottom line is that it would take me far too long to save up $36,000. :D

It all comes down to priorities, and if you're a car nut, then I can understand. That's a very nice car.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Nope, not just yet. The papers are drawn up and waiting for my signature. My only hang up is whether to step up to the GT trim level from the GS. The difference is only $2,800 and it includes:

- Traction Control
- Leather seats
- Xenon headlamps
- Heated seats

Go for it!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

- Traction Control
- Leather seats
- Xenon headlamps
- Heated seats

I figure Dynamic Stability Control and Traction Contorl would be quite useful if you plan on driving this all year long. I'd like HIDs and heated seats as well. Go for the GT.

Wat area of GTA do you live in? I ask..casue I thought u were in Oakville..and if you are..was wondering if you could give me some insight on wat its like to live there (I'm from Scarborough..and I enjoy having everything nearby).

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

- Traction Control
- Leather seats
- Xenon headlamps
- Heated seats

I figure Dynamic Stability Control and Traction Contorl would be quite useful if you plan on driving this all year long. I'd like HIDs and heated seats as well. Go for the GT.

Wat area of GTA do you live in? I ask..casue I thought u were in Oakville..and if you are..was wondering if you could give me some insight on wat its like to live there (I'm from Scarborough..and I enjoy having everything nearby).
That's what I was thinking. This will be a year round daily driver and in spite of the fact that I already have snows for it, DSC and TC could come in REALLY handy.

As for my location, i'm located in Kitchener-Waterloo. I used to live in Missisauga, and I worked in downtown Toronto for 3.5 years. As far as Oakville goes, I don't know the city too well so I don't have much insight to give you. :(

So true.

It all comes down to priorities, and if you're a car nut, then I can understand. That's a very nice car.
No it's not a cop-out at all. Most younger poeple can't afford to pay cash for large ticket items such as a car.

With my job I NEED a car that is in tiptop shape. By no means would I have been able to afford to ever pay cash for it.

So, your "pay cash for everything" is more cliche than you would like to believe.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

- Traction Control
- Leather seats
- Xenon headlamps
- Heated seats

That's what I was thinking. This will be a year round daily driver and in spite of the fact that I already have snows for it, DSC and TC could come in REALLY handy.

As for my location, i'm located in Kitchener-Waterloo. I used to live in Missisauga, and I worked in downtown Toronto for 3.5 years. As far as Oakville goes, I don't know the city too well so I don't have much insight to give you. :(

I can attest to snow tires being handy on a RWD coupe. I wish our 240 had traction control or VSC...it might have still been here today.
Oh I guess I mistook you for another ATOTer who was in Oakville.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

i guess you dont believe in credit also?

if you live in the USA you are screwing yourself.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIANI can attest to snows being handy on a RWD coupe. I wish our 240 had traction contorl or VSC...it might have still been here today.
Oh I guess I mistook you for another ATOTer who was in Oakville.

:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q

What happened to the 240?