Waterproof camera?

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
Going to be going on a trip involving kayaking, snorkeling, rafting, and other such fun. Rather than waste my limited bag space on a bunch of disposable waterproof cameras, I figure I'd rather just buy a digital one I can use on future trips.

In a perfect world, I'd like to spend as little as physically possible on the camera, as I already have a wonderful Rebel XSi, and a quite capable Powershot a710IS, however I'm willing to splurge a little for something that promises to be a little more water resistant than others.

Currently I'm looking at various models from Olympus, the Pentax W60, and the comparatively expensive Canon D10 (which may not even be out in time for my trip - end of May).

Anybody have any suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance :)

GrJohnso

Jun 18, 2004
I would stick with the Olympus and Pentax line for now, as they have a good track record. You don't need the latest model of either to get a good camera that works down to 10ft, the most recent will go as deep as 30ft and add a bit more shock proofing. Image quality is about the same on both, and they offer specific modes for underwater shooting...

I use an older w10, and it's been fine for a few years of snorkeling, river rafting, and snowboarding in both wet and cold temps... So, just pick your price point and go for it..

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
I have an Olympus 1030SW: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/...s_1030_SW_Digital.html

No matter what camera you get, buy a float strap and use it! For the same reason as float bobbers on boat keychains, if you drop the camera in the water it will float instead of sink to the bottom. I use the Olympus OEM accessory one. The whole kit held up perfectly on a whitewater rafting trip, including splashing and going overboard with me during the calm-water inter-raft boarding actions. A tip that a guide gave me was to buckle the top buckle of the life fest through the float strap; that way the camera is at the perfect height for taking pictures if you lift it up, otherwise it is dangling out of the way.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Looking into this as well. Recently picked up some Kayaks and figured since were upgrading our Point and Shoot, might as well get one we can take with us anywhere.

I've actually been eyeing the Fuji waterproof model, but i haven't read any reviews yet.