Watercooling Gigabyte GTX 460? Question

spymoose

Aug 15, 2010
Possibly a dumb question, but figured I'd ask here anyway.

Have 2 Gigabyte GTX 460s on the way, thinking about adding them to water cooling setup I am planning. Really like the Koolance water block, but it mentions that the board must fit the original reference design. Anyone know if the Gigabyte version does, or where I can find out?

Thanks

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
No the Gigabyte is not the reference design. I have mine watercooled and have used an old Maze4 GPU only block with a custom plate for the screws. A full cover block will not work because it is not the reference design. A GPU only block would work though, and considering the Gigabyte version has a separate heatsink on the VRMs as well, I'd say it is ideal for a GPU only block.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The best thing to do is email customer support of the block makers with the card you have and ask. I wasn't even aware they had non reference 460 cards out yet, but I am not in the market for a new card just yet.

llee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2009
Palit also has a non-reference GTX 460 lineup. They have the shortest GTX 460s available at 7.4"

spymoose

Aug 15, 2010
No the Gigabyte is not the reference design. I have mine watercooled and have used an old Maze4 GPU only block with a custom plate for the screws. A full cover block will not work because it is not the reference design. A GPU only block would work though, and considering the Gigabyte version has a separate heatsink on the VRMs as well, I'd say it is ideal for a GPU only block.

Good to know, thanks. Not planning on adding GPUs to the loop until next year, but I'm happy I'll have the option.