Water Stuck In Ear

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
EAR LAVAGE

You can do this with a bulb syringe in the shower............(Yes, you're forcing more water into your ear to expel the water that's currently stuck in there)...........or you can go to a doctor and they will do it with a much more powerful lavage device.

Problem is more likely that you have a 'plug' of wax in your ear and the water has made its way 'behind' this plug. A good ear lavage is the only thing that will clear it out. It will be disgusting and the site of it will probably make you gag. However, once cleared out you will hear like you've never heard before........seriously!

If you do it with a bulb syringe in the shower just be sure to use luke-warm water. Cup some water with your hand next to your chest and syphon the water into the bulb and then squirt it into your ear canal. Too hot or too cold could make you a little dizzy, but nothing to worry about. It may take several attempts to clear the wax plug out of your ear this way. A doctor can do it more efficiently but of course you have to...........well.........go to the doctor for that.

No bull.

I've had to get this done from a doctor before. Very simple process and it definitely got a ton of wax out of my ear... pretty gross but amazing effects. So should I bypass this whole swimmer's ear from CVS stuff?

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
All I do is tip my head, shake it and it gets unstuck, eventually. Sometimes it takes a while though.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Spooner,

Yes! Especially if you've been prone to overproduction of earwax before. For a lot of us, we swam as kids........(in my case I grew up w/ a pool so I was a fish out of water during my teen years)........and then as we grow up & move on in life we don't swim every day, ever week, or even every month. Heck, sometimes we may not swim all year.

Well, the body is still producing a ton of earwax to combat the environment we were in as kids and produces a lot f earwax. While we're dry it's fairly harmless, but once we get water behind this "plug" of wax, it becomes a problem.

I would highly suggest (assuming you've got insurance) just going to the doc & pretending your $10 co-pay is for a massage of sorts. (I actually found it uneventful besides the gross site of a 'plug' of wax) Or just be diligent in the shower with a bulb syringe 'til you get it cleared out. Either way I'm 99.9% sure that will resolve your problem!!

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
You need to break the surface tension of the water. Use the 'turn your head sideways' method, then gently insert a toothpick about half of its length in. Don't push it any further, you don't want to puncture your brain!

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I have to go scuba diving for work all the time. Rather than spending money on ear drops, we all use a 1:1 mix of vinegar and isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol will dry out the ear and the vinegar kills off whatever the alcohol doesn't.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
EAR LAVAGE

You can do this with a bulb syringe in the shower............(Yes, you're forcing more water into your ear to expel the water that's currently stuck in there)...........or you can go to a doctor and they will do it with a much more powerful lavage device.

Problem is more likely that you have a 'plug' of wax in your ear and the water has made its way 'behind' this plug. A good ear lavage is the only thing that will clear it out. It will be disgusting and the site of it will probably make you gag. However, once cleared out you will hear like you've never heard before........seriously!

If you do it with a bulb syringe in the shower just be sure to use luke-warm water. Cup some water with your hand next to your chest and syphon the water into the bulb and then squirt it into your ear canal. Too hot or too cold could make you a little dizzy, but nothing to worry about. It may take several attempts to clear the wax plug out of your ear this way. A doctor can do it more efficiently but of course you have to...........well.........go to the doctor for that.

No bull.

This works!!!
I saw this on a thread earlier this summer and I tried it. I had a bad ear infection. It was causing my throat infection due to the drainage. I used a bulb/ear syringe a couple of times. It dislodged a ton of wax, and then I could feel the water shooting through. It was a day/night difference.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: Spooner
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Dump rubbing alcohol in there
no? :roll:

Serious yo

Alcohol will mix with the water, alcohol will evaporate, no more stuck water

Not to mention that the alcohol has much less surface tension.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
turn your head to the side and jump up and down. i know you think i'm joking, but this works every time for me.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Canai
Umm qtip or hairdryer or roll up a piece of toilet paper (a little one) and kinda fish around until it absorbs some of the water. Otherwise just sleep with that side down or sit next to a fan for a while. I used to get water stuck in my ears when I went swimming, turned out there was a bunch of wax built up.

Ear candles ftw.

ear candling is a scam.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: bersl2
Originally posted by: Staples
Just position your ear horizontal to the ground. The water will come out in 30 seconds or less.

I have to jump up and down to make that work. People look at me like I'm strange (well I am, but that's beside the point), but whatever works...

I do this as well, sometimes simultaneously shaking my head. Works everytime.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz
You need to break the surface tension of the water. Use the 'turn your head sideways' method, then gently insert a toothpick about half of its length in. Don't push it any further, you don't want to puncture your brain!

ouch.