Water shut-off valve is rusted...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManBearPig, Dec 24, 2007.

1. ManBearPig

ManBearPig Diamond Member

We're trying to install a new faucet in the bathroom and the right water shut-off valve will barely budge. I'm scared it'll tear open or something. I tried to spray it with a lubricant but that barely helped. Anything I can do? Thanks!

2. OUCaptain

OUCaptain Golden Member

shut the main off then turn a faucet on to release any pressure.

3. Crusty

Crusty Lifer

Is this valve inside the house or where your water comes off of the water main? If it's off the water main, call up your water company and they should take care of it. If it's one inside of your house just turn off the water to entire house and replace the valve. Or you could just call a plumber :)

4. flxnimprtmscl

flxnimprtmscl Diamond Member

PB blaster FTW! I don't know what to tell you other than that. I'm on well water and just shut off the pump whenever I have to do plumbing work.

5. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

Propane or Mapp gas torch FTW

6. ManBearPig

bump for more opinions?

7. Colt45

Colt45 Lifer

wd-40

if that doesnt work shut off the main, downstairs.. replace the seized valve.

8. ManBearPig

colt, if i shut off the main, will i have to let water drain out of the valves before i can replace anything?

9. Twista

Twista Diamond Member

Go tto an auto store and pick up an can of pb blaster. Its insane on rust and breaks anything rusted loose.

WD40 sucks compared to pb blaster when working on cars i know. THis stuff works almost instantly on rusted heated header bolts, so it should work on your problem.

10. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

get a home fix it book
    shut off the main...
    remove the entire shut off valve and replace it.
    if its a screw onto iron or whatever pipe its easy. screw it off holding the pipe and the faucet in two wrenches. same if it has compression nut. if its soldered on you will have to blow torch it loose which might be beyond u

11. Ozoned

Ozoned Diamond Member

barely is better than not.

Work it slowly, to and frow, gently, and little bit more each time, till it goes all the way. Probably wont even need to be lubricated. Heh heh

12. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

just like teh butt sex?

13. Ozoned

Ozoned Diamond Member

:confused:
    I think he wants to fix the faucet, not shove it up his ass.

14. imported_Baloo

imported_Baloo Golden Member

You don't have to replace the whole thing. It's probably just the handle that's rusted, You can buy new handles. If the valve itself needs replacing, you can buy those as well. If the valve seal is fubared, that too can be replaced. Replacing the whole thing - even a plumber wouldn't do that unless absolutely necessary.

15. ManBearPig

how could i replace the handle without water spilling all over though? or is this after i shut off the main water valve? if i shut off the main, will i have to let water drain out of the valves before i can replace anything?

16. ManBearPig

also, just to be sure that im doing this right and my house isnt retarded, left is ON, right is OFF, right (for each faucet)?

17. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

well the valve is maybe 4-5 bucks. its generally not really worth it to fiddle with the seal only, if you get that far you might as well take it the rest of the way off and just replace it. newer valves use a ball valve and shut off with 1/4 turn instead of the annoying many many turns of the older ones as well.

depends on the handle/valve. if theres a screw head on top of the handle then you can remove it without doing much else. the valve would remain intact. if you don't see a screw then i dunno. and if you do shut off the main, no you don't need to wait for draining before you can do anything. just keep a bowl or bucket around to catch the little water there is left in the pipe.

anyways unless your handle is designed in a way that corrosion really would lock it, i dont see it as the problem. whats stuck is further in. handles are basically tacked onto the outside of a valve.

post pics

18. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

lefty loosy righty tighty!

19. ManBearPig

It does have a screw in it. My brother in law is thinking that everything is going to get wet for some fucking reason, so i will let him do it. I think were going to try that PB blaster though.

20. Squisher

Squisher Lifer

Where that stem of the handle enters the valve itself there should be a cap that holds the valve together, loosen that cap a little and try it again.

21. randay

randay Lifer

hit it with a sledgehammer

22. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

Turn off the water to the house. Open the lowest faucet in the house (maybe an outside hose spigot) to help drain the system. Chances are that it isn't rust that is the problem but calcium carbonate build up. Faucet valves are cheap so replacing the whole valve is probably the easiest route if the existing one isn't soldered onto the riser pipe. If it is, consider slapping a new valve inline above the old valve and use new flexible tubing to attach to faucet. Cheesy? Yes. Better than calling a plumber on Christmas Eve because the riser pipe cracked while you tried to remove the old valve? Definitely.

23. db

db Diamond Member

What ironwing said. These valves only last so long, especially if they are not "worked" for many years. Just buy another one for 4 or 5 bux and replace the old one.
    Chances are that if you force the handle with a pliars, it will open ok, but then it will leak, so you would have to repair it anyway. Just buy a new one and move on with your life.

24. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

you don't have too, but I'd turn the faucet on first to drain it.

Almost all the interior valves of a home require semi-annual maintenance really...and most don't do that. Usually being rusted solid is rare, it's more or less once you turn them a bit they don't stop leaking.

25. Shawn

Shawn Lifer

smack it with a hammer