Water Cooling Maintenance?

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Do Water cooling require any sort of maintenance? I would think that the system is mostly closed, so it shouldn't require any sort of upkeep, but I thought it was an interesting query.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I just check my reservoir from time to time to make sure there's still coolant. Other than that if the computer turns on and is dry, it's set it and forget it for me. :D (Just FYI, my advice may or may not be terrible, I didn't know anything about water cooling and just dove into it about a year ago, so far so good)

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Do Water cooling require any sort of maintenance? I would think that the system is mostly closed, so it shouldn't require any sort of upkeep, but I thought it was an interesting query.

If you're talking about a closed-loop cooler, like say, the Corsair Hydro series, or the NZXT Kraken's, etc, no, no maintenace is required.

If you're talking about a custom loop, here's some advice from our very own aigomorla:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=4596
Maintenance:Yes, like all computers, watercooling needs maintenance from time to time. Fluid levels should be checked every 24h for the first week, to be sure you don't have a micro leak anywhere (a small leak that evaps b4 a puddle can form). After the first week, fluid levels should be monitored on a 2 week, to 1 month basis. Remember, the tubing itself will allow fluid to evaporate slowly, so after 6-8 months, your bound to lose 1/8th of your coolant. Also Coolant flushes are recommended every 1-1.5yrs. I personally like to fill new coolant every 6 months. If you followed my guide, and installed both a reservoir + T-Line, reflushes shouldnt take longer then 15 min tops!
Radiator fins needs to be blown out with compressed air, every 2-3 months depending on the conditions of your room. If your room is dust free, and no carpet, this can be delayed even longer.

IF YOU ARE USING AN ACCELERATOR STYLE CPU BLOCK. AKA STORM or AquaXtreme's SP series waterblock, You will need to take apart your loop every 6-8months to inspect the impingment heads. These nozzles tend to get clogged if your water quality is poor, and can lead to a failed loop. If your new, stick with the D-tek Fusion or ApogeeGT, as these will perform fairly close with the Storm Rev.2 and have less maintenance involved.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's not custom. The system consists of a cpu pump/block, 2 hoses, and a radiator with fan.

That's a custom loop, that's something you're putting together. An all in one cooler is closed, you can't add coolant, you can't really modify the system, it comes with the pump, radiator, hoses, coolant, etc. that it comes with. An open / custom loop is your own build. There is more to those than the all in ones.

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
That's a custom loop, that's something you're putting together. An all in one cooler is closed, you can't add coolant, you can't really modify the system, it comes with the pump, radiator, hoses, coolant, etc. that it comes with. An open / custom loop is your own build. There is more to those than the all in ones.
I think you misunderstood. This is already in the prebuilt system. There's no reservoir to add coolant to. Upon further inspection yesterday, the hoses seem glued to the radiator.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think you misunderstood. This is already in the prebuilt system. There's no reservoir to add coolant to. Upon further inspection yesterday, the hoses seem glued to the radiator.

Ah, my mistake... thought you meant that you were piecing those parts together. If it's an all in one, closed system there shouldn't be anything special to do. I think the biggest worry with those is the pump failing without your knowledge. But barring that, it's a set it and forget it type of system.