watched the docmentary Bloods And Crips: Made In America

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by QueBert, Jun 7, 2009.

1. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

Directed by Stacy Peralta and narrated by Forest Whitaker. Touches on everything from the Watts Riots to the original gangs in the 60s, before they were called gangs. To the start of the Bloods & Crips, up into current day. Some of the interviews with gang members left me really thinking. And Forest's voice really makes the narration seem so powerful. I grew up in a middle class area, but went to high school in the ghetto, and ended up living there for about 15 years before recently moving somewhere better. Where I lived wasn't nearly as bad as the parts of South Central & Watts they show in the movie. But I saw a lot of similar shit happen. Even with the glimmer of hope this movie gives, it's still pretty bleak and depressing. But it's a very honest and real look at a huge problem in America, one that's not going to go away.

They interviewed the founding members of the original clubs (gangs) who said they formed them due to the fact they couldn't get accepted into the boy scouts because they were black.

one quote that really stuck out to me was about 2 difference research teams findings where the levels of post traumatic stress syndrome found children living South Central LA exhibit is even greater than children living in the Gaza Strip. The montage of Mothers who had to bury their, no words, just their faces with the name/age of their son underneath. I found this part truly heartbreaking. This is a great documentary for anyone to see, it digs a lot deeper than the news stories you hear about drive by shootings, it gets into the heart of the problem and addresses it head on.

2. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Lifer

Yawn. It's a documentary meant to tug at your heartstrings. It was filmed wit an agenda.

3. LikeLinus

LikeLinus Diamond Member

What was the "Agenda"? Just curious.

4. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

Probably, "Liberal".

5. krunchykrome

krunchykrome Lifer

I'd rather watch 2 hours of HGTV

6. TridenT

TridenT Lifer

I might watch it.. IMDB has 7.0/10 with 298 votes. I am a bit unsure of whether to see it. Oh and your post... yeah, tl;dr.(/didn't care)

7. FelixDeCat

FelixDeCat Lifer

I like watching shows like that. While I have no use for gangs or gang members I think it helps give a better understanding. I also watch MSNBCs Lockup:Extended Stay (a show about people doing time and their personal experiences in prisons around the country), History Channels Gangland (which profiles a new gang in every show from bikers to you name it).

Fascinating.

8. kevman

kevman Diamond Member

I believe it was executive produced by NBA star Baron Davis.

9. ballmode

ballmode Lifer

knife youuuuu

10. lupi

lupi Lifer

what part tries to convince you to forgive stupid people doing stupid things cause the man is keeping them down, I'll just fast forward to that point to get it over with.

11. NeoV

NeoV Diamond Member

"They interviewed the founding members of the original clubs (gangs) who said they formed them due to the fact they couldn't get accepted into the boy scouts because they were black. "

Total lie - sounds good in a movie though, doesn't it?

NO Excuse for their actions, period.

12. IGBT

IGBT Lifer

both of em are urban terrorist scum bags.

13. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

I believe the term you're looking for is "eco-KOOK."

14. Gibson486

Gibson486 Lifer

dear god....i'd rather watch the dvd.....

15. Phokus

Phokus Lifer

"hmmm, yes, these people are scum and get no sympathy from me" - says white guy who grew up in a privileged upbringing as he drinks his chardonnay

16. I Saw OJ

I Saw OJ Diamond Member

While its probably not the only reason for starting their little clubs and cliques, whats so hard to believe that black inner city children were denied access to join the boyscouts during the 1960s?

I'm not excusing their behavior, but its really easy to call them animals or maniacs, what have you when you really have no idea what they go through on a day to day basis.

17. Phokus

Phokus Lifer

It's probably a bit more complicated than that (although having integrated youth organizations would have helped), the overall opportunities for blacks during that time probably contributed a lot to the formation of these gangs. It's a shame that more wasn't done to reach out to the idle youth before these gangs started popping up:

18. IGBT

IGBT Lifer

if the shoe fits. in your case a mint flavored shoe is in order.

19. IGBT

IGBT Lifer

and the main vic's of their crimes is them selves. It's nearly all black on black crime.

20. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

And you're basing that off what?? You obviously have no knowledge of how gangs started yet that doesn't stop you from spouting off. Even in the 60s there were plenty of neighborhoods in LA and surrounding areas where blacks weren't allow to live PERIOD. They kept blacks contained to parts of South Central and Watts, there were definite lines separating neighborhoods blacks could, and couldn't go into. Look up the origins and you will see what what said in this movie isn't just something to sound good in a movie. Do you think the Watts riots started, and lasted a week because black people were happy about being treated fair? And for all who haven't seen this flick, there's no agenda. It doesn't paint a good picture at all, and never once does it give justification to anything gang members do. It's simply in sight. I'm glad NeoV knows more about gangs than the people who started them though. LAPD would pay you big bucks to work in their gang division with your wealth of knowledge.