Watch the U.S. back down to avoid war with China

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So why did the American president AND our military leadership agree with ME?

(Not you folks)

"Appeasement" and not being a dick are two different things.
you're completely missing the subtext.

biden didn't say pelosi musn't go. he didn't order her to not go- he can't in the first place, of course. he said "The military thinks it’s not a good idea right now”

what this says is
1) i am not explicitly telling you it's a bad idea
2) i am not actually telling you it's a bad idea
3) i am not ordering or telling you to NOT go
4) you can go.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm done with this thread sorry.... I've had enough "Point, counterpoint" for one day!

We can re-visit when the next Taiwan-related crisis pops up.... it won't be long don't worry.

HOPEFULLY everyone will get their big chance to tell me "I told ya so". ;)

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The visit is over. We have return our trays to the upright position. When that's done, resume shouting "expletives deleted."
It doesn't matter if the visit is over, that has nothing to do with your argument or position about how much time Pelosi spent there. So all you are doing, is showing all of us, that you have no argument, which makes your position nothing of substance. Otherwise you would have an actual legitimate answer, countering what I said, having a sound reasoning why you believe Pelosi should have equal or higher expectation as the President himself. Basically you are just full of shit that sounds like the echoes of a baby who needs their diaper changed, and can't admit you are wrong.

Last edited:

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Duck,dodge,dip,dive...and dodge

Just accept that you were wildly wrong

The visit is over. Brittney Griner is a civilian hostage, just as I said. The price for her ransom may be very high, as I've warned.

Oh, and Adolf Hitler was not executed for his failed Putsch.

I guess Romper Room has been renewed for another season.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
So you "experts" really are claiming that tensions are LOWER now? :D

But I have no idea how things work.... just precious. (at least I'm not on the same side of the argument as Roy Blunt and the Dumpster!)

Not a single shot was fired, I think you can rest easy now. About time country has the balls to stand up to Xi.

Reactions: feralkid and Drach

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Honestly, I would hope the complete opposite. The best outcome would be for the issue to sputter out and be forgotten.

China would goes its own way, stops invading people, and we would all live happily ever after.

To much to ask, I know.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm done with this thread sorry.... I've had enough "Point, counterpoint" for one day!

We can re-visit when the next Taiwan-related crisis pops up.... it won't be long don't worry.

The Taiwan crisis has been there for decades. Just because you are not paying attention doesn't make it not exist.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Honestly, I would hope the complete opposite. The best outcome would be for the issue to sputter out and be forgotten.

China would goes its own way, stops invading people, and we would all live happily ever after.

To much to ask, I know.

Actually what I'm hoping for is that folks will be able to tell me I was wrong and China really was only bluffing.

I do agree with you that it would be wonderful if we all could just get along though!

;)

Reactions: cytg111

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

So who's the ignorant slut?

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So who's the ignorant slut?

Jane obviously! ;)

*(in order to be a "slut" you need to be having sex which rules out most folks around here!)

55965b51d59c3.jpeg

Last edited:

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Probably mentioned earlier, but it seems China has a brewing financial crisis. Where property owners are not paying off their mortgages and some banks have been running out of cash due to mass withdrawals of funds. This has led to unrest in some cities and it poses a serious challenge to the Chinese leadership. Have strong feeling the Taiwan issue is a diversion tactic to take the countrys attention away from this.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: pmv and Thump553

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Probably mentioned earlier, but it seems China has a brewing financial crisis. Where property owners are not paying off their mortgages and some banks have been running out of cash due to mass withdrawals of funds. This has led to unrest in some cities and it poses a serious challenge to the Chinese leadership. Have strong feeling the Taiwan issue is a diversion tactic to take the countrys attention away from this.

I've been waiting for this to happen for years. When I heard about the Chinese housing market ten years ago it seemed destined for failure.

Then again I thought it was going to fail like 8 years ago so had I been one of the big short guys I would be bankrupt long ago.

Reactions: pmv

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
You must really think the Chinese are clueless. (it does appear that way sometimes!)

The id10t's in charge of 'murica's long-term strategy have allowed us to be put in a place where mission-critical tech for our national security is almost EXCLUSIVELY made on an island that belongs to (arguably) our strongest enemy. (this IS what happened)

You think the Chinese don't know this? If TSMC alone gets taken out for ANY reason we are well and truly screwed.

But lets keep poking the monkey.

TSMC is not that mission critical for national defence. Other fabs are quite capable of making the components for advanced weapons. Economically yes it’s very important, but not mission critical. If the PRC were to stage for an attack I would not be surprised if the key people in those industries were not offered passage to the USA. Also what was the US Government to do, you think they knew that Intel would kinda shit the bed for a protracted period? Should they have given Intel billions? Tax breaks? Courted TSMC harder longer ago? Maybe, but hindsight is 20/20 and all.

PRC ability to replace TSMC’s production domestically is orders of magnitude lower than the USA’s.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Also what was the US Government to do, you think they knew that Intel would kinda shit the bed for a protracted period? Should they have given Intel billions? Tax breaks?
But what will these new Intel fabs produce? Like what percentage of their fabs actually produce non Intel product lines?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Wound? Meh. That implies damage. Nothing in China has been harmed except for the feelings of CCP assholes bent on conquest.

Kudos to Ed Markey. China doesn't get to decide where US diplomats go and who they talk to. These visits should increase so they understand that. Beijing is losing friends, not making them, and they have only their own belligerent behavior to blame for it.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Don't worry the Chinese are poisoning their people.

American corporations are in good company then. The contempt they've shown to the health of American consumers is a topic worthy of it's own thread.

"Ice cream" that doesn't melt has been in American stores for at least the last 8-10 years IIRC. Certain varieties of Breyers also Walmart ice cream sandwiches come to mind.

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Wound? Meh. That implies damage. Nothing in China has been harmed except for the feelings of CCP assholes bent on conquest.

Kudos to Ed Markey. China doesn't get to decide where US diplomats go and who they talk to. These visits should increase so they understand that. Beijing is losing friends, not making them, and they have only their own belligerent behavior to blame for it.
I mean, historically the people youd most like to piss off are narcissistic megalomaniacs who control giant armies.

That said, they deserve to have their nose tweaked. Their claim about those who play with fire will perish by it is a diplomatic fuck you and they should absolutely be kicked in the nuts.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I mean, historically the people youd most like to piss off are narcissistic megalomaniacs who control giant armies.

That said, they deserve to have their nose tweaked. Their claim about those who play with fire will perish by it is a diplomatic fuck you and they should absolutely be kicked in the nuts.

China should have expected this, Xi's desire to have things stay calm for awhile longer is well known. As long as we're helping Taiwan stockpile and train I'm happy, and China should get used to the feeling of those kicks. They try to invade they're going to get kicked so hard Taipei will lose a shoe. A 3 Gorges dam failure would be more costly than a nuclear strike. I do hope Xi starts to care more about his people than the chip on his shoulder over lost national face. China profits from having trade with Taiwan and a West to sell to and steal from.