Watch the U.S. back down to avoid war with China

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
OMG!! Nothing is going to happen! China wants a war with the US about as much as they want to set themselves on fire. Typical Chinese bluster. That’s all. This has happened over and over again and yet most people just fall for the stupid hype on SM or the news.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I've been applauding her lately, not something I'm used to. The genocidal CCP that has been in constant bully mode in the SCS can do all the exercises it wants, bravo to her for telling them to toss off. Taiwan wants nothing to do with your autocratic regime in Beijing, has the US and Japan backing it up. Better take the Ukrainian example to heart, wouldn't want that pithy advice to apply to you now would we Pooh Bear? You have less war experience than Russians, and more to lose. STFU and enjoy your lifestyle and achievements, 21st century democracies are about done with you Stalin holdovers. I expect that's why China won't do shit beyond scramble poorly trained troops and pilots for a rehearsal. Aren't there some banks your military should be protecting?

But I love how contorted the magats are over this too. So invested in trying to project Trump's corruption and subservience to Xi onto Biden and Democrats, and now this. Yes, Xi Xinping sounds absolutely thrilled with the Biden admin. Secret private bank accounts in China for alll the Bidens, even the dogs.

Reactions: hal2kilo

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Can't we just spend a couple of min to give Pelosi a thumb up to call Xi's bluff?

Ya got to give her credit. I wouldn't have enjoyed being in her shoes when Joe said "Hey, Nancy, I've got a little favor to ask of you. The Chinese are making noise about shooting your plane down if you visit Taiwan. I know, I know, they PROBABLY are bluffing and, if so, you'll be golden. If not, well... on the way down you can take solace in the idea that your state funeral will be a doozy. Best of luck."

• Haha
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
When I mentioned potential for "accidental" trouble that escalates, it was this sort of thing I was referring to.

:oops:

However if you want some cold-comfort, remember China is extremely patient. They WILL end up in full control of Taiwan one way or another and they know it too but they're not in any serious rush.
if that's true, then there's no reason to huff and puff and risk an international incident which china would be 100% responsible for.

china doesn't have to scramble planes of any kind. it can let Pelosi visit Taiwan without issue. it is CHOOSING to create the dangerous scenario.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Can't we just spend a couple of min to give Pelosi a thumb up to call Xi's bluff? Posters here have been calling for some actions on China for years/decade and now Pelosi has finally done(pending) it, so....
gotta say, I can't imagine Pelosi would be allowed to do this today under Xi, but I'll be damned if she doesn't have some courage:

In 1991, Pelosi unfurled a banner in Beijing's Tiananmen Square to commemorate victims of the 1989 massacre of pro-democracy protesters.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
Exactly - China was very stupid to try and pull this stunt, at least from an international sense. Anyone with a brain knew that it would ensure a US visit. Seems like maybe China is experiencing some internal turmoil and are trying to change the subject.
Exactly - China was very stupid to try and pull this stunt, at least from an international sense. Anyone with a brain knew that it would ensure a US visit. Seems like maybe China is experiencing some internal turmoil and are trying to change the subject.
Here's China's chance to see how well their weapons are made. If they make their weapons like their Tofu-dreg projects. America has nothing to worry about.

• Wow
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This is just theater.

I sincerely hope you are correct in this assumption.... after the last two years I'm inclined to think "worst-case" could easily become reality.

I read recently that China was planning a large military exercise to coincide with Pelosi's visit so ostensibly that would the the "rational" explanation for the troop/equipment movements.

Most likely nothing too serious will happen BUT anytime you put a bunch of heavily armed and poorly trained troops in a position where one trigger-happy pilot can start a war it's not good thing.

Air and opportunity are all that stand between us and disaster.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yep.... nothing to worry about its all just talk. :D :oops:

It's only huge armies of a country with tons of nuclear-weapons making a potentially aggressive move towards Taiwan .... what could go wrong?

Somehow I don't find the idea that "we can take em!" to be of much comfort here.
China would be stupid to make a move against Taiwan.
Russia's aggression has shown the west can and will unite quickly. The entire Southeast Asia/pacific region would do similar I think if China shot down Pelosi and/or invaded Taiwan right now.

Basically, China is doing all this to save face. It's put itself into this position and no one else. China could have had its ambassador to the US officially object to the trip and left it at that. But nope, here we are.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I sincerely hope you are correct in this assumption.... after the last two years I'm inclined to think "worst-case" could easily become reality.

I read recently that China was planning a large military exercise to coincide with Pelosi's visit so ostensibly that would the the "rational" explanation for the troop/equipment movements.
An amphibious invasion of Taiwan would be a Herculean undertaking, one that would take months to prepare for and would be impossible to hide. We would need to see this times 100 to think that was likely.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
An amphibious invasion of Taiwan would be a Herculean undertaking, one that would take months to prepare for and would be impossible to hide. We would need to see this times 100 to think that was likely.

See the problem here is everyone assuming "sanity" will rule the day just because it has every other time this sort of thing has happened recently.

Every time you push your luck there's a chance of coming up snake-eyes.

I've said several times that I don't believe China/Xi will INTENTIONALLY
start a war over this but the situation is absolutely not "under control".

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
OMG!! Nothing is going to happen! China wants a war with the US about as much as they want to set themselves on fire. Typical Chinese bluster. That’s all. This has happened over and over again and yet most people just fall for the stupid hype on SM or the news.

False. Actually, the old timers in the CCP military structure have not been shy about their desire to "settle scores" with both the US and Japan. China has a severely toxic nationalism problem, just like we do. This promotes military adventurism, as we've seen.

You remind me of the people saying Putin would never jeopardize his country with an invasion of Ukraine. Just bluster right? Womp womp.

People like to say China would never go to war because of their economy, the trade losses would be too high. Those people should read more history, understand that trade hasn't prevented war between countries before. Understanding China's massive butthurt about their lost century and how much maintaining face matters to them could go far, might spare them from making ignorant statements in an attempt to downplay the severity of the Taiwan situation.

Taiwan would allow them to make jumps in chip production (assuming those places taken intact) and would provide them deep water access beyond first chain. They want sub bases on Taiwan, like what they have at Yulin. The deeper waters at the south eastern end would afford more secrecy to the coming and going of subs. Both of these are seen as crucial steps in both cementing CCP power at home and implementing Pacific hegemony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
See the problem here is everyone assuming "sanity" will rule the day just because it has every other time this sort of thing has happened recently.

Every time you push your luck there's a chance of coming up snake-eyes.

I've said several times that I don't believe China/Xi will INTENTIONALLY
start a war over this but the situation is absolutely not "under control".
I'm not sure, do you have any examples? If you're going to say Russia invading Ukraine no - people were VERY aware ahead of time that this was a major risk.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Taiwan would allow them to make jumps in chip production (assuming those places taken intact) and would provide them deep water access beyond first chain. They want sub bases on Taiwan, the deeper waters at the south eastern end would afford more secrecy to sub operations. Both of these are seen as crucial steps in both cementing CCP power at home and implementing Pacific hegemony.

I'm sure China would prefer those fabs intact but I'm equally confident they'll trade that for absolutely crippling the entire tech-industry in the rest of the world. (which they could then potentially take over)

Far from preventing wars, historically trade is more often the cause of them!

I'm not sure, do you have any examples? If you're going to say Russia invading Ukraine no - people were VERY aware ahead of time that this was a major risk.

The example is that we're all still here.... that's how you know "sanity" has prevailed every time we came close to WWIII.

One of these times it won't.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Most likely nothing too serious will happen BUT anytime you put a bunch of heavily armed and poorly trained troops in a position where one trigger-happy pilot can start a war it's not good thing.

Air and opportunity are all that stand between us and disaster.
Why does no one understand that China will not engage the world’s greatest military power who’s readiness is only matched by the tiny country of Israel. We our troops put in more training hours than any other major power - by a long shot. Oh, and we have what, over 10,000 nuclear Warheads in our triad.

China will bitch and moan, make a show of their military strength (which is pretty awful actually) and then sit on their hands. Honesty, look how intimidated they are over a visit from the speaker of the house - clearly a sign of a great power 🙄.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Why does no one understand that China will not engage the world’s greatest military power who’s readiness is only matched by the tiny country of Israel. We our troops put in more training hours than any other major power - by a long shot. Oh, and we have what, over 10,000 nuclear Warheads in our triad.

China will bitch and moan, make a show of their military strength (which is pretty awful actually) and then sit on their hands. Honesty, look how intimidated they are over a visit from the speaker of the house - clearly a sign of a great power 🙄.

More "we can take 'em so no worries" ?? :oops:

The US military does not share your optimism.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm sure China would prefer those fabs intact but I'm equally confident they'll trade that for absolutely crippling the entire tech-industry in the rest of the world. (which they could then potentially take over)

Far from preventing wars, historically trade is more often the cause of them!
Trade ties between countries generally lessen the likelihood of war as they make war more costly for both sides to engage in.