Watch the U.S. back down to avoid war with China

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Its just incomprehensible any side could start a war. As someone mentioned earlier, all the major countries economic ties and interests are too deeply intertwined. There can be no winner, all sides LOSE.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and pmv

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
I swear if China shoots down Pelosi ... Biden is going to do the thing. Watch out.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
All this SHOOT DOWN PELOSI is a bunch of Fox News BS. Fox is running with this as their BREAKING NEWS - HIDE YOUR KIDS - MAJOR STORY because Fox would LOVE to report that Pelosi has been shot down even if that meant WWIII. And certainly the Q's have wished this for a long long time, the execution of Nancy Pelosi be it via firing squad or China missiles.

Fox News.... :rolleyes:
What else do they have to do? Report on the insurrection? Report on Trump's demise? Tell their viewers that they are all fools? It would take a WWIII for THAT.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Err no, China has no interest in picking a fight with USA. They are more than happy to just talk tough for their own citizen's ego. They are the Ferengi.
They don't need to pick a fight. They just order their useful idiot Progressive to back down at ever chance. I'm surprised Lebron James, the NBA, Nike, Disney, and Hollywood isn't telling people to shut up and stop being racist towards China.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Err no, China has no interest in picking a fight with USA. They are more than happy to just talk tough for their own citizen's ego. They are the Ferengi.

That seems to be the case. The CCP seems to turn nationalist sentiment on-and-off like a tap. Still seems to me that China and Russia are in very different situations as far as military mayhem are concerned. China's too integrated in and dependent on, trade and a stable global order. Russia is just a resource-extraction economy and has less to lose from outbreaks of chaos.

The only reason I didn't click 'like' is for the Star Trek reference, which I am not geeky-enough to understand (I always had the very vague impression that the Ferengi were considered a slightly anti-Semitic creation)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
China doesn't want to be destroyed anymore then we do no matter how much hot-air Xi spews. (it's all about the money)

China starts an all-out war with American over Taiwan and EVERYONE dies.

Shooting down a high-ranking US official would be more likely to lead to a nuclear exchange then even a Chinese invasion of Taiwan.

The "wildcard" here would be if Xi turns out to be more the "rabid-dog" kind of crazy then the "fox" and he really does believe China can "win" a war with the US.

In that case you can toss logic and reason right out the window. :oops:

Last edited:

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
They don't need to pick a fight. They just order their useful idiot Progressive to back down at ever chance. I'm surprised Lebron James, the NBA, Nike, Disney, and Hollywood isn't telling people to shut up and stop being racist towards China.
Proshevics, Piglosi, Bla Bla Bla. Typical "Lets go Brandonbullshit"

Reactions: Meghan54

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I believe the real danger is an accidental shoot down.

China can bide its time. It knows Saudi Arabia and Israel want to drag the U.S. into attacks and maybe even quick incursions into Iran.

Another Mideast war the world does need which will further bleed our military and drain our treasury.

One thing about the NeoCons, their PNAC plan came with long, long legs.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Watch the U.S. back down to avoid war with China

You really think so??? :rolleyes:

China doesn't like the optics of Pelosi (or other Americans of influence) visiting Taiwan, but shouting that they are pissed and will retaliate is straight-up bullshit.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
China doesn't want to be destroyed anymore then...

Russia committed suicide on the world stage, this year, 2022.
Do not tell us about nations making rational decisions. Because they don't.
Humans are irrational to the very core.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
China doesn't have the right to dictate who our leaders visit and when unless its inside their borders. If they take a shot at an official diplomatic aircraft they cut off their own hands.
Thats entirely their point; they claim soverignty over taiwan and thus to them this visit is very much inside their borders.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thats entirely their point; they claim soverignty over taiwan and thus to them this visit is very much inside their borders.

Yep.

And unlike North Korea China is an actual existential threat to America right now so we HAVE to tread cautiously.

Pelosi should have avoiding making this a public issue. Not smart.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yep.

And unlike North Korea China is an actual existential threat to America right now so we HAVE to tread cautiously.

Pelosi should have avoiding making this a public issue. Not smart.
Its certainly brinksmanship. Not sure if its smart, but china has been thumping their chest for the last 15-20 years, and im sure theyre recalibrating in light of the ukraine war events. Having a military doctrine built from or adapted off the soviet model with soviet equipment (by and large) and almost certainly aware of the gross extent of corruption within their own systems HAS to have them second guessing a number of things at the moment.

A tweak like this probably carries a lot of weight at the higher levels.

But poking a bear thats scared is a good way to light off a conflagration. Scared and unstable is not a good situation to antagonize.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Problem is weather Xi admits it or not the publicity has introduced an element of "bruised ego" to the equation.

I don't see how making Xi/China "lose-face" on the world stage helps anything.

:confused:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The Sky News in Australia has some harsh words for the Biden Administration.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Every conservative accusation is a confession.

The irony of the highly propagandized and delusional useful idiot calling others useful idiots...