Watch the first 5 minutes of The Golden Compass

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: daveymark
you fundies have it wrong - the movie does NOT entail kids killing God.

the BOOK is about questioning religious authority. Zealots are worried that the kids will like the movie and then the parents will go and buy the book for the kids, which will cause the kids to think for themselves.

God forbid.

Straight from the author's mouth:

In a 2003 interview he said, "My books are about killing God" and in a 2001 interview he said that he was "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief."

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy

the BOOK is about questioning religious authority. Zealots are worried that the kids will like the movie and then the parents will go and buy the book for the kids, which will cause the kids to think for themselves.

God forbid.

In a 2003 interview he said, "My books are about killing God" and in a 2001 interview he said that he was "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief."
So are your beliefs so weak that watching a movie will corrupt them?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

God forbid.

My post has nothing to do with my beliefs. I haven't talked about my beliefs one way or the other in this thread. I'm just pointing out what the author himself has said.

As Sgt. Joe Friday would say, "Just the fact the ma'am."

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

God forbid.

My post has nothing to do with my beliefs. I haven't talked about my beliefs one way or the other in this thread. I'm just pointing out what the author himself has said.

Sorry, I confused you with one of those Fund A Mental Cases.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: AUMM
Originally posted by: blamb425
90% of the posts in this thread have turned into a religion slugfest. Back on topic, boys?

I read the trilogy when I was little, and absolutely loved it. I'm going to see it ASAP!

I LOVED the books as well, even read them twice which i've never done with any other book... i didnt enjoy the movie very much, I think there is too much detail to fit into a 2 hour movie, they also changed some of the ending....

again, have you guys that are discussing this work read the actual books?

Are these books something an adult could enjoy? I grew up reading fantasy/sci-fi lit so it looks like something I would be interested in. I just don't want to deal with something that reads obviously as a children's novel.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
I thought they killed God at the end of Unforgiven?

Someone says or implies God is real and no one bats an eye. But someone says he isn't and all of a sudden people act like I just took a shit in their living room. When are you going to grow out of this ridiculous double standard?

You must not read a lot of these threads here as the reverse is quite the truth.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: Anubis
no thanks. not interested in a movie made for kids where the story involves killing God.

kinda hard to kill something that never existed inst it:confused:

That is one of the author's stated intentions behind his writing the trilogy. He was upset over the Christian subtext in the Narnia novels.

:roll: the guy is a coward and pussy.

So why just Christian beliefs? i would love to see him try this with Islam.

the Muslim fanatics are doing a good enough job at that already

he isn't a Muslim fanatic, he is a atheist and God is God right? so again why do atheist only pick on Christian beliefs?

He probably picks on Christianity more for the same reason I do. Because I am a Westerner and christianity is the predominant religion. The Mulim religion doesn't affect me much on a day to day basis. Christianity does so why would he complain about something that doesn't really affect him?

nace186

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2006

God forbid.

I think his comment is misinterpreted by a lot of people. I have read the trilogy recently and I must say his comment of killing God is more about killing the God that people use as a reason for their actions, either bad or good.

spoilers:

It is stated explicitly in the book that whoever created the world (God), left after it was created.

end spoilers

So, the story wasn't really about killing the actual God, it's about killing people that use God's name to commit atrocities.

Also, the story is more about a girl coming of age story than religion. And it's definitely more of an adult story than an children's story.

Damn, the ending is so freaking sad and bittersweet. I almost have tears in my eyes, but it was the sand.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: shadow9d9
no thanks. not interested in a movie made for kids where the story involves killing God.

kinda hard to kill something that never existed inst it:confused:

That is one of the author's stated intentions behind his writing the trilogy. He was upset over the Christian subtext in the Narnia novels.

:roll: the guy is a coward and pussy.

So why just Christian beliefs? i would love to see him try this with Islam, but he wont because he is a pussy. he can pick on Christian beliefs because he know nothing is going to happen to him.

Well, he was brought up christian so is familiar with its hypocrisy... Troll more?

People are hypocrites, not the religion. Troll more?

Your opinion.. obviously not the author's... i guess the author was trolling when he wrote his books, right?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: paulxcook

Someone says or implies God is real and no one bats an eye. But someone says he isn't and all of a sudden people act like I just took a shit in their living room. When are you going to grow out of this ridiculous double standard?

Are you blind or just stupid? Someone says or implies God is real and the ATOT Atheist Zealot Brigade immediately jumps in to flame and mock the person for not believing what they do. Or... for not not believing what they don't, I guess.

I'ma go ahead and skip this flick.

As I already pointed out.. there is no group of atheists... anyone who says anything that isn't of the opinion of the christians are automatically labeled "atheist" so it is easier to accept their different views than your own...

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: Homerboy
I notice this also.

It's like being Atheist is a religion just like any other.

Damned near Evangelical to most.

Those preaching no religion seem to do much more preaching than those practicing religion. It would be ironic if they had half a clue.

How many atheists have knocked on your door in the past/ I've had 20+ christians in the past 3 years alone...

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO

You must not read a lot of these threads here as the reverse is quite the truth.

He is talking about RL.. not one isolated set of forums on the internet.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
I notice this also.

Those preaching no religion seem to do much more preaching than those practicing religion. It would be ironic if they had half a clue.

How many atheists have knocked on your door in the past/ I've had 20+ christians in the past 3 years alone...

Oh God no....Whoops. How can you possibly live that? Approximately 7 Christians per year knocking on your door taking up 5 minutes or less of your time. Why, that's 0.000006659% of your time of the year! That's just...just horrible!

You must go really apesh!t when Girl Scouts, Newspapers, Utility Company Salesman, or any one else knocks on your door.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
kinda like rain on your wedding day?

ya know, when I was typing that I realized "this isn't technically 'ironic'", yet I figured I will type it, the vast majority will fully understand what I meant, and a few idiots will point out the inaccuracy.

Pointing out a mistake makes you an idiot? :confused:

Wow...

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I notice this also.

Oh God no....Whoops. How can you possibly live that? Approximately 7 Christians per year knocking on your door taking up 5 minutes or less of your time. Why, that's 0.000006659% of your time of the year! That's just...just horrible!

You must go really apesh!t when Girl Scouts, Newspapers, Utility Company Salesman, or any one else knocks on your door.

0 Atheists do it and 20 christians do... how can you claim that in RL atheists preach? The point is not whether ti bothered me, but that it is christians that do preaching in real life... they always have, always will... how many missionaries are sent with invading armies of atheists?

but you knew that already...

Seriously.. people here mostly just troll. The guy said that atheists are the preachers.. I give rl evidence of the contrary and EVERYONE knows that in real life there are no preaching atheists that go and knock on peoples' doors..

What response do I get? "Why does it bother you!".. umm.. WTF does that have to do with the actual discussion!? People here are just.. wow... what a waste of time.

I mean, I guess Queasy wants to divert from the argument or justify preaching...

Read it with me Queasy-

"Those preaching no religion seem to do much more preaching than those practicing religion. It would be ironic if they had half a clue.

How many atheists have knocked on your door in the past/ I've had 20+ christians in the past 3 years alone..."

I prove it.. and what do you do? Divert... IQ tests are needed in these forums.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Thank you, I am now going to watch the movie and get the books!

Thanks for the Xenogears recommendation as well!

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
I notice this also.

0 Atheists do it and 20 christians do... how can you claim that in RL atheists preach? The point is not whether ti bothered me, but that it is christians that do preaching in real life... they always have, always will... how many missionaries are sent with invading armies of atheists?

Seriously.. people here mostly just troll. The guy said that atheists are the preachers.. I give rl evidence of the contrary and EVERYONE knows that in real life there are no preaching atheists that go and knock on peoples' doors..

What response do I get? "Why does it bother you!".. umm.. WTF does that have to do with the actual discussion!? People here are just.. wow... what a waste of time.

I mean, I guess Queasy wants to divert from the argument or justify preaching...

Read it with me Queasy-

"Those preaching no religion seem to do much more preaching than those practicing religion. It would be ironic if they had half a clue.

How many atheists have knocked on your door in the past/ I've had 20+ christians in the past 3 years alone..."

Atheists preaching by going and knocking on people's doors? No. Atheists 'preaching' by writing books, making movies, talking on speech circuits, putting up billboards, etc etc. Yes.

And you're right, Christians do preach. It is one of the basic tenets of the religion - Evangelism. Getting the message out.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
The fans of science fiction novels have learned that to appreciate the art form one must make a commitment to suspend disbelief and allow the author to transport you to a place where the real world doesn't interfere. This takes real effort for most readers.

When arguing points of interpretation of these works, we must not let our personal beliefs taint the enjoyment of the work itself.

CLIFF'S:

The purpose of literature is to make you think.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Zedtom
The fans of science fiction novels have learned that to appreciate the art form one must make a commitment to suspend disbelief and allow the author to transport you to a place where the real world doesn't interfere. This takes real effort for most readers.

When arguing points of interpretation of these works, we must not let our personal beliefs taint the enjoyment of the work itself.

CLIFF'S:

yeap. sounds like a good series to me.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Zedtom

Meanwhile, most religions insist on belief rather than rational thought.

And there lies the problem.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

God forbid.

So... how about dealing with facts then, rather than spouting out selected quotes with no context? ;)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Atheists preaching by going and knocking on people's doors? No. Atheists 'preaching' by writing books, making movies, talking on speech circuits, putting up billboards, etc etc. Yes.

And you're right, Christians do preach. It is one of the basic tenets of the religion - Evangelism. Getting the message out.

Would you mind linking to a pic of one of these atheist billboards? I've never seen one, I've only seen the religious ones.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
I notice this also.

Read it with me Queasy-

Do you think that this is a problem? Would you censor/ban such material from children (or everyone)?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Would you mind linking to a pic of one of these atheist billboards? I've never seen one, I've only seen the religious ones.

I'd have to drive by and take a picture of it. It is on Peachtree Industrial Blvd north of Atlanta. It says "FREEDOM FROM RELIGION" and gives some various information on some organization fighting against religion/religious groups.