Watch the first 5 minutes of The Golden Compass

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Kill God? I read the books and it was war against corrupt beings masquerading as God. And to save the minute God?/soul/spirit particles bleeding out into the void.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis
reading that acticle that sounds like a really good thing they are doing

OMFG the kid they are talking about going to Atheist Sunday school is named "Damian", i mean way to go name your kid like he is the anti-Christ and then send him to Atheist school, I'm sure that will earn him TONS of friends in real life.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Couple of points that need to be made.

#1 - Billboard information that someone asked about:
http://friendlyatheist.com/200...-in-madison-wisconsin/

#2 - Why do Atheist always say they don't have groups or clubs

So help me understand this:

That is a list of all the Atheist Organizations out there for non-religious people.
http://friendlyatheist.com/wp-...07/04/Flow%20Chart.jpg

To me, any "organization" that holds seminars, support forums, conferences, get togethers, fund raisers, donations, radio shows, web sites, speaking engagements, Sunday services, Sunday schools and other events...is most certainly a religion/club/group/clan/whatever.

I mean...you guys sure seem to have a lot of churches for not having churches?
http://firstchurchofatheism.com/
http://www.acfnewsource.org/re...on/atheist_church.html
http://www.jefallbright.net/node/2924
http://www.atheists.org/conference/
http://atheistsunited.org/
http://www.rationalresponders.com/church_of_atheism

I could go on and on.

Atheist in itself is a religion. They will never call it that, but that is most certainly what it is. You just choose to believe in nothing....but in the end...it's still a "belief" that you share with a group of people. Maybe you don't participate in any of these churches or organizations, just like there are millions of Christians who don't actually go to church (like myself), but you are still part of that group and you preach their beliefs..or lack thereof.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Atheist in itself is a religion. They will never call it that, but that is most certainly what it is. You just choose to believe in nothing....but in the end...it's still a "belief" that you share with a group of people. Maybe you don't participate in any of these churches or organizations, just like there are millions of Christians who don't actually go to church (like myself), but you are still part of that group and you preach their beliefs..or lack thereof.

This is just silly, the fact that atheists might have get togethers or events does not make them a religion any more than republicans are a religion or the autoworkers union is a religion. A religion is something where your morals come from a divine God or else a book of scripture or some other mystical being. These other ethical frameworks like "humanism" are VERY similar in that they propose an ethical code just like any religion, but the point is that the ethical code is said to come from logical reasoning and not dogma. Now it is entirely fair to question the motives or rationality behind the ethical frameworks that a humanist might adhere to verse a Christian, but in the end no matter how similar they might be they are arrived at in completely different ways. I might agree with you that alot of these radical atheists behave in very similar ways to how a radical Christian might behave, but the two groups are coming from the argument at completely different angles and the fact that their methods are similar is due to the zealousness of their beliefs not the beliefs themselves.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: BrownTown

This is just silly, the fact that atheists might have get togethers or events does not make them a religion any more than republicans are a religion or the autoworkers union is a religion. A religion is something where your morals come from a divine God or else a book of scripture or some other mystical being. These other ethical frameworks like "humanism" are VERY similar in that they propose an ethical code just like any religion, but the point is that the ethical code is said to come from logical reasoning and not dogma. Now it is entirely fair to question the motives or rationality behind the ethical frameworks that a humanist might adhere to verse a Christian, but in the end no matter how similar they might be they are arrived at in completely different ways. I might agree with you that alot of these radical atheists behave in very similar ways to how a radical Christian might behave, but the two groups are coming from the argument at completely different angles and the fact that their methods are similar is due to the zealousness of their beliefs not the beliefs themselves.

I do agree with what you are saying, but -

Let me know when you find an UWA church. Where's the church of republicans? I wouldn't consider either one of them a "belief" in regards to a higher power or anything religious.

I can show you a list of atheist churches. He said there were no "clubs", that's simply not true.

Either way, I don't care. Atheist don't bother me and I don't bother them. What the hell do I care what you believe? I don't. I just hate a lot of atheist attitudes that trash on Christians with such pure blind hatered and ignorance.

You see stupid replies like
"oh now I know I'm going to watch it".

That right there makes you as big a piece of sh1t as the fundie christians who go door to door. You're no better and just like them.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

That right there makes you as big a piece of sh1t as the fundie christians who go door to door. You're no better and just like them.

I mean come on, this is ATOT, people say cr@p like that about EVERYTHING, if someone said a new movie was going to be about how great Hitler was someone would probably make a joke about how it was gonna be such a great movie. If you can't take someone making fun of you based on your views, then this is probably not the best forum. TBH I can't really think of anywhere on the internets where you can actually expect to have a thread that gets past more that a few replies without a bunch of trolls or stupid kids making some sort of stupid of comments.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: LostWanderer
I'm not intelligent enough to participate in this conversation, BUT I do know that I want the $6.50 I spent on this weekend's matinee back because this movie wasn't worth seeing. Yea scenery is good and Nicole Kidman just makes every scene she's in, but overall the story was weak and the director was intentionally aiming for a knock off somewhere in between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

My opinion, there are a lot of things in this world that I could get on a soap box for, but this just doesn't rank high on my priority list...If you feel inclined, more power to ya though.

How is it the DIRECTOR aiming for a knock-off when he is making a movie based on a book?

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: Queasy
no thanks. not interested in a movie made for kids where the story involves killing God.

kinda hard to kill something that never existed inst it:confused:

That is one of the author's stated intentions behind his writing the trilogy. He was upset over the Christian subtext in the Narnia novels.

In a 2003 interview he said, "My books are about killing God" and in a 2001 interview he said that he was "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief."

:roll: the guy is a coward and pussy.

So why just Christian beliefs? i would love to see him try this with Islam, but he wont because he is a pussy. he can pick on Christian beliefs because he know nothing is going to happen to him.

same "god" with all three? his book, Christian & Islam?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Haven't seen the movie so not sure how much the director tried to push certain aspects of the books, but this doesn't look so good.

The previous No. 1 movie, New Line Cinema's fantasy "The Golden Compass," nose-dived in its second weekend, coming in third with $9 million, down a dismal 65 percent from its less-than-expected $25.8 million debut a week earlier.

"The Golden Compass," which cost $180 million to produce, has done $90 million so far overseas but has proven a dud domestically with just $41 million.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
after reading the wiki entry, i am interested in reading the books now. Are they making all three in the trilogy or just this book?

It depends on how well the first movie does. One critic whose name I cannot recall said they hope it does poorly so the last two books don't get made into movies.

Having read the books and seen the movie, I wish they had drawn the movie out more. There was a lot of character development that they missed out on.

Exactly.

To all the people who are upset, as a person who has read the books, the movie barely even touches upon the development present in the novels. In fact I'm willing to bet that they've already taken much out of it in order to NOT offend you.

Citrix went crazy and so did a few other people over what was a very tame film from the reviews I've read. Seems to me that everyone getting so riotous about this and complaining fell into their own argument.

In all honesty the movie would actually be better if they made religion a larger part. It's central to the novels. And for people who haven't read the book I would suggest that you read the first 100 pages before you get so aggravated. Honestly one of my favorite series'.

Simple fact. The movie is tame. TTTAAAAMMMEEE. I don't even know how the would hide it if they went on to the 3rd novel. The last battle is literally a battle between heaven and the assembled armies of the multiple worlds last I remember. What seems to happen in this film is the church is after the little girl. OHNOES!

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
Originally posted by: Homerboy
no thanks. not interested in a movie made for kids where the story involves killing God.

how do you kill something that isnt real? :confused:

you have your belief and i have mine. lets just be happy and paint pretty pictures together.

Citrix, they can't. The atheists seem to voice their beliefs on these boards more than religious people do. Its ironic.

kinda like rain on your wedding day?

Or, like a thousand spoons and all you need is some chopsticks. (I'm asian)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Praxis1452
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
after reading the wiki entry, i am interested in reading the books now. Are they making all three in the trilogy or just this book?

It depends on how well the first movie does. One critic whose name I cannot recall said they hope it does poorly so the last two books don't get made into movies.

Having read the books and seen the movie, I wish they had drawn the movie out more. There was a lot of character development that they missed out on.

Exactly.

To all the people who are upset, as a person who has read the books, the movie barely even touches upon the development present in the novels. In fact I'm willing to bet that they've already taken much out of it in order to NOT offend you.

Citrix went crazy and so did a few other people over what was a very tame film from the reviews I've read. Seems to me that everyone getting so riotous about this and complaining fell into their own argument.

In all honesty the movie would actually be better if they made religion a larger part. It's central to the novels. And for people who haven't read the book I would suggest that you read the first 100 pages before you get so aggravated. Honestly one of my favorite series'.

Simple fact. The movie is tame. TTTAAAAMMMEEE. I don't even know how the would hide it if they went on to the 3rd novel. The last battle is literally a battle between heaven and the assembled armies of the multiple worlds last I remember. What seems to happen in this film is the church is after the little girl. OHNOES!

Well, I can tell you that apparently all the school kids in my town were well coached, my wife said something about the movie and my oldest daughter said "all the kids at school say it's about killing god". That one context-less sound bite has bitten this movie in the ass.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: BrownTown

I do agree with what you are saying, but -

Let me know when you find an UWA church. Where's the church of republicans? I wouldn't consider either one of them a "belief" in regards to a higher power or anything religious.

I can show you a list of atheist churches. He said there were no "clubs", that's simply not true.

Either way, I don't care. Atheist don't bother me and I don't bother them. What the hell do I care what you believe? I don't. I just hate a lot of atheist attitudes that trash on Christians with such pure blind hatered and ignorance.

What? Ignorance of what? You are the ones with an agenda of ignorance. How about you stop trying to teach your religion in my public schools and impose your religious beliefs on the legal system, and maybe we'll hate you less.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Saw this movie yesterday. Excellent story, excellent acting, excellent dialog, excellent direction, excellent design. However, the raw mechanics of the storyTELLING were not up to Lord the Rings par. There were plot devices that were not adequately established, and other plot elements that were established and then never utilized (probably setting things up for the sequels). And unlike LOTR, they didn't even attempt to make the movie stand on its own, separate from the trilogy. So they really leave you hanging at the end, waiting for a sequel. But overall, a very ambitious movie that pulled it off for the most part and was very enjoyable. And some of the best live/CGI interplay of any movie to date.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The movie didn't really end because they stopped the movie with about 50 pages or so of the book left to go so they could give the movie a happy ending. After being pissed off after seeing them happy up the ending of I am Legend I was hopeful when they all got on the balloon they were actually going to end Compass like the book but nope. I really wish Hollywood would quit making changes for no real reason. What the hell was the reason for swapping the order of the big bear fight and the experimental station? Made no sense at all to take her to the bears.

Just got around to seeing it today.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: rivanPerhaps because his problem is with Christianity, not Islam? I'll grant you, in today's day and age, it takes big nuts to throw water in Islam's face publicly - but his choice of targets doesn't imply anything about his nut size.

;)