Watch recommendations?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Hi all! I am looking for a smart watch that:

— is simple — just for fitness. I don’t need bells and whistles. I am an Apple user for everything but the Apple Watch is too much.

— has gps so I can track runs/hikes.

— multi day battery life.

— is useful in both running and hiking. Maybe an altimeter?

— I don’t necessarily need on screen info but would love to know how I did after (connect to phone etc.)

— I will only wear it running or hiking. Won’t wear it normally.

Any suggestions for something? Budget is open.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Sounds like the Fitbit Charge 4 matches up with your needs.

- Charge line is focused just on fitness tracking and no other frills
- Charge 4 now has a GPS
- Lasts about a week on a single charge
- Has an altimeter to measure stair climbing and other elevation changes
- Has a small screen to display basic info like time, steps, heart rate, and other tracked vitals
- Smaller than smart watches and light weight

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Hi all! I am looking for a smart watch that:

— is simple — just for fitness. I don’t need bells and whistles. I am an Apple user for everything but the Apple Watch is too much.

— has gps so I can track runs/hikes.

— multi day battery life.

— is useful in both running and hiking. Maybe an altimeter?

— I don’t necessarily need on screen info but would love to know how I did after (connect to phone etc.)

— I will only wear it running or hiking. Won’t wear it normally.

Any suggestions for something? Budget is open.

Garmin Forerunner (button controls) or Vivoactive (touchscreen controls)
Grab whatever version suits your budget.
Vivoactive 3 can be had for low 100's now that the Vivoactive 4 is out.
Forerunners run anywhere from low 100's to 1K plus

Having used the Vivoactive for some time, as a runner I would recommend the Forerunner 235.
I think the buttons are easier to use than the touchscreen during runs and workouts. (Sweat)

Bonus is that they both look like watches so you can wear them around without the "I got this as a gift" look of all the blocky watches out there.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Garmin Forerunner (button controls) or Vivoactive (touchscreen controls)
Grab whatever version suits your budget.
Vivoactive 3 can be had for low 100's now that the Vivoactive 4 is out.
Forerunners run anywhere from low 100's to 1K plus

Having used the Vivoactive for some time, as a runner I would recommend the Forerunner 235.
I think the buttons are easier to use than the touchscreen during runs and workouts. (Sweat)

Bonus is that they both look like watches so you can wear them around without the "I got this as a gift" look of all the blocky watches out there.

Thank you! What about the higher model forerunners, like the 945?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
From what I've heard, a Forerunner 945 is serious business. Approaching if not smack dab in Fenix territory.
Battery life while on GPS is going to be a HUGE jump over the cheaper models. Feature set is obviously longer.
If you have the budget for it, I would definitely recommend investigating 945 route.
Garmins are highly regarded for the GPS accuracy. Software and customization is pretty good and it works with a lot of the major apps out there.

In my case, I used runtastic for years so it syncs right up with runtastic. The garmin ecosystem is pretty good

The one trade off is that the screens don't look as pretty as the OLED based watches. However...the pretty watches end up a on a charger every night or lack the accuracy out on a trail or run.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The Forerunner 945 is a Fenix 6 in a plastic case. I got one because I wanted it to last for an entire 100 mile race, and it's lighter than the Fenix 6. It's about as heavy and bulky as I want to go with a watch. Before that I had a Vivoactive 3. It was just fine, it would last for about any race I used it for up to a 50 miler. It looks like a normal watch. If you like Garmin I would choose a Vivoactive 3 Music or a Vivoactive 4s. The 235/645/945 look like running watches and are kind of plasticky and cheaper looking than the higher end Fenix line or the Vivoactives. There is also the Coros brand now, I don't have any experience using one of that brand. I have never had a Fitbit, but it seems like the wife's would always die from water or something, so she switched to a Vivoactive 3 also.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Thanks for all the advice! am leaning towards the Fenix 6X Sapphire at this point. Does anyone who has one ever run with it?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Thanks for all the advice! am leaning towards the Fenix 6X Sapphire at this point. Does anyone who has one ever run with it?
congrats on a 700$ tracker watch, id recommend carrying your cellphone and letting it do the work. Use that 700 towards a omega 3000-5000$ watch :)