Watch Paint Dry gets published without Valve's help.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Talk about lax security... just think if someone, with evil intent, could have laced their 'game' with malware.

I am just wondering if any of you guys saw this "game" on Steam this last Sunday?

If you were on the Steam homepage on Sunday night, you might have noticed a somewhat interesting new title available: “Watch paint dry”. This sparked a lot of controversy (and I, honestly, had a little bit of fun in the forum :p) on Steam as people were claiming that Valve/Steam had lost all quality control for games on Greenlight. But this game was never on Greenlight. In fact, I haven’t even paid the $100 “no time wasters fee” to post games to Greenlight. I think Greenlight personally is a great platform for people to get their indie games a lot of exposure and it has done and will continue to make working as an indie game developer a viable career option. And I’d like to apologise if I’ve caused any offense to indie game developers who are struggling to get their games on to steam. This is no more than a prank and was merely to test something I’ve been trying to report to Valve for the past few months — the ability to get any game you want on Steam, without Valve ever even having a look at it.

https://medium.com/@rubiimeow/watch...ve-ever-looking-at-it-2e476858c753#.zds86fgh7

(BTW, I didn't know where to post this, it could have been in OT, or Programming, or Security, or... so, mods, if you want, feel free to move it.)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I remember seeing "watch paint dry" the other day. I remember because I thought to myself that it was probably a stupid game that would end up being popular because of the "trendy" name. I didn't click to see what it was though.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Considering there was an "early access" game that was just a text file with promises of what the game would be, yes, there is little to no oversight on what goes up at this point.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
As long as Line of Defense is allowed to be on there, it's clear their QC of Early Acces titles is little to nothing.