watch out for remote controlled planes...terrorist threat?

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
I was just thinking today what if they used small remote controlled planes to deliver a chemical weapon.
Then on tim russert on cnbc just now they had the former director of the CIA talking about the exact same thing, saying they could use a remote and an aerosol can..

this kind of sh!t pisses me off...is vigilantism bad?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: bentwookie
I was just thinking today what if they used small remote controled planes to deliver a chemical weapon.
Then on tim russert on cnbc just now they had the former director of the CIA talking about the exact same thing, saying they could use and remote and an aerosol can..

is vigilantism bad?

There's nothing wrong with having a shoulder-mounted missile launcher in your home arsenal.....

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
there are a lot of other ways to deliever chemicals.. why the heck worry about this?

remote control planes cant handle sh!t for payload anyways.. thats why theyre made out of balsa wood, etc.

besides.. you get like 10 grams of stuff spread per hour.. just not efficent.

who the heck flies a RC plane downtown or in suburbs anyways? dont you usually go to a park or out of town?

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Colt45
there are a lot of other ways to deliever chemicals.. why the heck worry about this?

remote control planes cant handle sh!t for payload anyways.. thats why theyre made out of balsa wood, etc.

besides.. you get like 10 grams of stuff spread per hour.. just not efficent.

who the heck flies a RC plane downtown or in suburbs anyways? dont you usually go to a park or out of town?

Umm...yeah....the CIA hasn't had any luck with their remote controlled planes. The Predator doesn't carry Hellfire missles that haven't been used in combat :confused:

I remember reading a thread here at ATOT about Saddam Hussein having RC planes which could carry Biological Weapons. There was even a link to CNN about it.

Jan 18, 2001
thats nuts!

1) the payload capacity of a plane would limit the amount of substance... they would need something very potent to do any real damage.

2) assuming the first point #1 is true, the range on RC is so limited that terrorist would likely be exposing themselves to whatever they are using.

3) How are you going to get a RC plane into a densely populated area? anywhere there are a lot of people (ie a stadium, a business complex, a church) would not be conducive to flying a RC plane (i think the takeoff would be the biggest problem, considering the extra weight of the contamenant).

4) all the tailgaters in the parking lot would kick their stupid little asses before they had the chance to get the plane off the ground.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
Sounds like we have some remote control plane experts in here.

Why can't the plan be navigated by way of cruise control after takeoff?

You think there aren't large remote control planes?

Think they wouldn't try it?

What about this insanity?

Police probe D.C., Md., blowgun attacks

and

Total Number of Injuries Reaches 19 in D.C., Prince George's

yeah man, seriously-- they have some big ass remote control planes that can carry some serious payloads.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Plus, I believe that radar cannot detect small planes flying that low

Israel fears an attack by Palestinian Terrorist using these planes.

And the US has already been warned in the past that these planes can be used as methods for an attack.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
Plus, I believe that radar cannot detect small planes flying that low

Israel fears an attack by Palestinian Terrorist using these planes.

And the US has already been warned in the past that these planes can be used as methods for an attack.

i think the US has used planes like this in the past, if not for attacks, at least for reconosaince. (sp?)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Remote control aircraft would not be an effective means of executing a terrorist attack, but they could be used to kill an individual.

Viper GTS

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
theres remote controlled airplanes bigger than you can pick up with your hands.

a large remote controlled aircrafts farmers use to spray their crops can carry enough chemical or bio weapon to do some wacko damage.

chansen

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
RC aircraft are notoriously unstable, but anything's possible. Theres a group of modelers on Canada's east coast that are trying to get their craft to autopilot itself across the Atlantic. I've built a few, and a 10 lb payload is not out of the question, given an 8-10' wingspan and a decent gas or glow engine. There's actualy a law against flying a RC aircraft above 55 lbs, so terrorists hoping to carry a large payload would be frustrated by that limit.

And if you wanted to kill a person by RC aircraft, you would need explosives, an expert pilot, or Henry from my local flying field. He scares the heck out of me. I gotta believe there's a better way. Ask the NRA - they'll know.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: chansen
RC aircraft are notoriously unstable, but anything's possible. Theres a group of modelers on Canada's east coast that are trying to get their craft to autopilot itself across the Atlantic. I've built a few, and a 10 lb payload is not out of the question, given an 8-10' wingspan and a decent gas or glow engine. There's actualy a law against flying a RC aircraft above 55 lbs, so terrorists hoping to carry a large payload would be frustrated by that limit.

And if you wanted to kill a person by RC aircraft, you would need explosives, an expert pilot, or Henry from my local flying field. He scares the heck out of me. I gotta believe there's a better way. Ask the NRA - they'll know.

Somehow I don't think terrorists would lose much sleep over a 55 lb weight limit.

"Hey Osama, can you re-do that in carbon fiber? We need to shave another three oz to make this thing legal."

If I were going to do it, I would mount two video cameras in the front of the plane at the same distance my eyes are apart. I would broadcast two video signals & feed one into each eye of a pair of LCD shutter glasses. That way I wouldn't have to be (too) near it to see what I was doing.

Viper GTS

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Another evil instrument of terror. We need to ban them. We have to act pre-emptively While we are at it, RCc cars too. Could put nitro or something in one. Run it into a Walmart entrance. BOOM. I know this hasnt happened yet, but it could, and our national security is at stake after all.
rolleye.gif

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Somehow I'd be more worried about a cropdusting biplane flying over a crowd in a stadium spraying some chemical or biological agent.

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Somehow I'd be more worried about a cropdusting biplane flying over a crowd in a stadium spraying some chemical or biological agent.

yeah most small airports aren't even guarded or gated...My local news just walked right onto one in the middle of the day.

chansen

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Somehow I don't think terrorists would lose much sleep over a 55 lb weight limit.
Ahh, you found the sarcasm. Very good.

Jan 9, 2002
Remote controlled planes? Aeresol cans? You've gotta be kidding me. What kind of damage can you do with an aeresol can? I'm sure anyone with a firearm could take one of these out of the sky from their porch. With one arm. While drinking a beer.

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
You ever noticed those little blimps at Hockey games? Yea, the ones that drop coupons/tickets. Watch out...

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
might as well watch out for RC cars/trucks/and boats... you do realize that the range that one can fly one of those things is very very short... if he was going to blow something up or spread some chemical, the chances of the operator getting hit to are good... would be a waste of time.

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: stev0
might as well watch out for RC cars/trucks/and boats... you do realize that the range that one can fly one of those things is very very short... if he was going to blow something up or spread some chemical, the chances of the operator getting hit to are good... would be a waste of time.

I think the hijackers found that out.
rolleye.gif

and the aerosol cans were for biological threats not chemical...