Watch out at Tweeter

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
I have had the misfortune of dealing with Tweeter (a ?high end? home theatre store here in Charlotte) for just over a month now, and wanted to warn ATers to use caution when dealing with these ?people?. Here is my tale of woe.

All dates are approximate and recalled to the best of my ability. I do not have the records at hand, but the dates/numbers/times/names should be fairly close.

On the Sunday after Thanksgiving, my wife handed me an advertisement for Tweeter that included a swell Yamaha AV receiver (HTR5550 I think) that listed for $399.99 on sale for $199.99. I checked OL, and found it to have everything I needed for our new system. For a variety of boring reasons, we needed to buy a new VCR/DVD player, TV and AV Receiver. So I was very happy to see this for sale for half off! In retrospect, I shoulda smelled a rat right away. Problem is, that Tweeter does not use the standard high-pressure feel to their ads, so one thinks they are a reputable shop. It?s all part of their larger scheme.

So I called the closest store that morning. They wouldn?t open until noon, so I called another to check inventory. Neither this new store, nor the closest had any in stock. Joe the salesleech told me if I put money down I could get one on order by Tuesday. Happy that I didn?t have to run all over town to track this thing down (there are several of these rip-off joints in our town), I agreed and put 20% down. Joe made a strange calculation error and originally asked for more than 20% down, but realized his mistake when I questioned him. And I still didn?t figure this out (I know, I?m a bonehead).

Then I called on Tuesday, nope no receiver. Then I called on Friday. Joe said nope, no receiver. And he had some ?good news and bad news?. The bad news was they had sold out of the receiver I had put a deposit on (read partially paid for). The ?good news? was that they would sell me a model that was one grade lower but from this year for the same price. This model (RX-V440) lists for $299.99 and they would sell it to me for $199.99. The one I wanted was the second in the line by Yamaha standards. This one was the 4th (last) in line. It didn?t have the connections I wanted, so I was pretty disappointed. The one thing it had (as I recall) was DTS Neo (WTF that is, I just wanted to watch DVDs). But it had a lot less connectivity going on. Check out the comparison chart at Yamaha.com. The RX-V530 has the same connections, lists for the same price (399.99) and is in the same place as the on sale model in the line, but they would not substitute it.

So I wrote to corporate. Never heard anything back (to date 12/29/03).

Bonehead that I am, I *still* do not realize what sort of outfit I am dealing with. Too deal hungry, perhaps. Anyway, I noticed at their website that they had (and still have, I might add) a RX-V530 for $199.99 (?Available In-Store Only? ? which means you ain?t getting it; we?re just teasing you, but I didn?t know that then). It was just the receiver I wanted, identical to the advertised one, except with more warranty. Non-techies can skip to the next paragraph. You see, Yamaha has an HTR line and RXV line. The HTR is from mail order (typically) and does *not* include the Yamaha Warranty. RXVs are sold only by authorized dealers, but do include the warranty. The RX-V530 was exactly the same model as the advertised one (HTR-5550?) except it has Yamaha behind the warranty.

So I called around, and found that this RX-V530 was unavailable at stores as well. Gee, what a surprise. Then I cancelled my ?deposit? on the HTR-5550(?). I do not know for sure that the deposit has actually been cancelled. And I emailed corporate. And they did not respond.

However, I had noticed they had this swell Apex DVD/VCR player for $99.99 with free shipping and 10% off due to this email coupon. Yeah, I know ? at this point, I?m an idiot to trust these jokers. I?m just a sucker for a deal sometimes.

So I call them up on Sunday (12/22). You see, I?ve got this Amex GC that expires the end of the year good for $75. And the player is gonna cost more. Of course, Tweeter has absolutely no freaken way of entering two CC numbers in to pay for one order. At this point, I turn from bonehead to idiot to flaming moron and say ?What about a GC?? (My only excuse is the whiskey I was drinking)

The CR on the phone tells me that they might be able to do that, and after considerable discussion, we get an order entered for a $75 GC. First of all, let me come clean and state that half the problem with this last (lengthy) discussion was that Amex (or whoever) had printed the 4 digit security code in black on dark purple ? it was impossible to find in my LCD illuminated office. So I was to blame for half that lengthy call (next time, 1000 watt spotlight on the card, sheesh). But the other part was due to Tweeter not knowing how to handle these sorts of things. Anyway, they promised to send me the GC codes via email in 24 hours.

Of course, that did not work.

At this point, I am starting to realize just how stupid I am to deal with Tweeter. But I figure, if I just ignore them, they will go away. No such luck. A few days later, I am at Lowe?s, trying to buy some home improvement stuff. I use my Amex GC (after all, only got `til the end of the year to use it up). Charge Denied. Geez!

Called the GC CR. Balance: Zilch. Of course, it was Tweeter that had a charge for $75 on my $75 GC that expires in a few days. Even though they couldn?t send me a Tweeter GC. But, if they did not send a receipt, it would cancel in 7 days and I would have all my credits back.

I sent another email to Tweeter, and they said that if I sent my Amex GC number, they?d see the charge was removed. Two hours later (after laughing hysterically about the idea of sending them the numbers again thru email none-the-less), I deleted that email without responding.

So that?s where it stands as I write this. I?m only out a lot of time and frustration (so far). But Tweeter has not so much as apologized for all their misdeeds, and is still running that unobtainable special of a RX-V530 for $199.99 on their website. Sweet Deal Just wanted to warn my fellow ATers to be careful with Tweeter ? yer taking some big chances dealing with them.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TGregg

Too Long...

I've used Tweeters for the majority of my home theater purchases in the past year and half. They went as far as to match the lowest price i could find on Mysimon or pricegrabber for a whole set of RC5's for my home theater. Furthermore I purchased my DTV HD Reciever and my DVD player at a price that beat everyone in town.

Notice in your post you were 1. Drunk 2. "oh my mistake" 3. I quit trying.

Sounds like a bunch of rubbish to me. Tweeters has done me very well in the past.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

Too Long...

I've used Tweeters for the majority of my home theater purchases in the past year and half. They went as far as to match the lowest price i could find on Mysimon or pricegrabber for a whole set of RC5's for my home theater. Furthermore I purchased my DTV HD Reciever and my DVD player at a price that beat everyone in town.

Sounds like a bunch of rubbish to me. Tweeters has done me very well in the past.

I love Tweeter's HDTV setup. Well done, it is.

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
not to be mean, but it happens, every single retailer out there has good and bad stories about t hem, and i'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, good luck in future experiences with this company though, if you do indeed have any future dealings with them.

MG

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003

Too Long...

1. Nope, you are wrong on that one. Drank some whiskey that prompted me to continue with this store is all. A (perhaps poor) attempt at humor. Obviously missed by the great unwashed.

2. My "mistake" was corrected (sorry you missed that in the narrative)

3. I'm open to suggestions on future actions. Didn't seem to notice any in your critical post.

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
Originally posted by: bonk102
not to be mean, but it happens, every single retailer out there has good and bad stories about t hem, and i'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, good luck in future experiences with this company though, if you do indeed have any future dealings with them.

MG

Yeah. I mean, I didn't lose anything but time and frustration. It would have been nice if Joe could have told me the truth that he could not order that on-sale (closeout - but not IDed as such) system, and said "Check around and snatch it up man." But I had this misguided impression from the ads that Tweeter was a decent store. It was a big surprise.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Too Long...

1. Nope, you are wrong on that one. Drank some whiskey that prompted me to continue with this store is all. A (perhaps poor) attempt at humor. Obviously missed by the great unwashed.

3. I'm open to suggestions on future actions. Didn't seem to notice any in your critical post.

I didn't miss the "mistake" was corrected. But you made a mistake and it had to be corrected. As with any retailer and store, you have to give them a chance to correct their mistakes. If you honestly believe a store is to be avoided at all cost because of a mistake, then you'll never shop again.

As to your post. You never spoke to a manager or called the corporate headquarters. Emailing them is only going to get lost in the mass of emails they get around the holidays. Someone probably read it, meant to reply to it, and forgot (as everyone has done).

Yes the joke was a poor attempt.

1. Speak to the Manager of the store. Go as far as the owner of that franchise store if you have to
2. Speak to a supervisor of their customer service line or someone in management.

Here's another question?

"So I wrote to corporate. Never heard anything back (to date 12/29/03)."

"I sent another email to Tweeter, and they said that if I sent my Amex GC number, they?d see the charge was removed."

Did you email tweeters corporate? It appears you got some response back in email (after stating you never heard anything back).

Also seems like more stupidity on your part. You state that the CR says they will email you GC Codes within 24 hours. Then say "of course that did not work" then state you went to use the card and it was denied? Now I honestly don't have a clue about these Amex gift cards, but wouldn't you NEED these codes you were waiting on and never got? You state you just decided to ignore them, then use the card, which was declined.

Doesn't exactly add up.

EDIT: FYI: Joe, your salesman, probably didn't know it was being phased out (if it is). Their sales people don't know all the buying aspects of the company and what the company choose to quit stocking. He more than likely was only going from a computer screen that stated they had them in stock at a warehouse or another store which he could order from. I know for fact they do this cause I had them searching for some extra Klipsch speakers before they quit carrying them.

As far as the website, tons of websites do the same thing. CC and Best Buy don't have products from their warehouses, but you can buy them instore. Same with Staples and Office Depot. This is common.

I'll call tomorrow morning and find out from the salesperson I work with. He's a pretty good guy and he was telling me about Klipsch being phased out months before it happened.

Feb 24, 2001
I purchased from them back when they were paired with Outpost.com (before they were bought by Fry's). I had a lot of good luck with them.

Best deal was an 80lb Sony Wega stand which matched my 32" Wega. Closest price was $179 at Sears, they had it for $59.99 shipped 2nd day. Outstanding :)

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003

Too Long...

I didn't miss the "mistake" was corrected. But you made a mistake and it had to be corrected. As with any retailer and store, you have to give them a chance to correct their mistakes. If you honestly believe a store is to be avoided at all cost because of a mistake, then you'll never shop again.

As to your post. You never spoke to a manager or called the corporate headquarters. Emailing them is only going to get lost in the mass of emails they get around the holidays. Someone probably read it, meant to reply to it, and forgot (as everyone has done).

Yes the joke was a poor attempt.

1. Speak to the Manager of the store. Go as far as the owner of that franchise store if you have to
2. Speak to a supervisor of their customer service line or someone in management.

Here's another question?

"So I wrote to corporate. Never heard anything back (to date 12/29/03)."

"I sent another email to Tweeter, and they said that if I sent my Amex GC number, they?d see the charge was removed."

Did you email tweeters corporate? It appears you got some response back in email (after stating you never heard anything back).

Also seems like more stupidity on your part. You state that the CR says they will email you GC Codes within 24 hours. Then say "of course that did not work" then state you went to use the card and it was denied? Now I honestly don't have a clue about these Amex gift cards, but wouldn't you NEED these codes you were waiting on and never got? You state you just decided to ignore them, then use the card, which was declined.

Doesn't exactly add up.

I got a response back from Customer Support saying they'd remove the charge if I sent my Amex number to them by email. I wouldn't count that as corporate (althought it might have been) because I was using two different forms of communcations. Yer right, I probably should have spelled them out. When I said "sent and email to corporate", I meant "Filled out a webform at Tweeter.com" cuz I didn't have a coporate email address.

As far as you being stupid, yep, you are. Note that there are not one, but *two* (count em on your fingers, one then two) GCs involved. Amex and Tweeter. But that's OK, you don't want to discuss, only to blame. I see you for what you are, I am not mad at you, only choosing to ignore you.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
1. If you don't consider the email "corporate", why exactly are you emailing them in the first place? Their CS number is clearly posted on the homepage of their website, and under the Contact Us Page.

Corporate Email and Phone numbers for you

2. Don't blame me for your convoluted piss poor story writing skills and expecting everyone to be able to interpret that shoddy 2 page long post.

Seems you only feel like doing a lot of ignoring and placing blame on everyone without actually trying to resolve the situation.

You didn't answer some of the questions I asked, you only got defensive.

Additionally I gave you some solid advice which you failed to notice or respond to.

GL in your fight against big brother?

EDIT: Here's the address, phone number, and driving directions to Tweeter Corporate Headquarters

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003

As far as the website, tons of websites do the same thing. CC and Best Buy don't have products from their warehouses, but you can buy them instore. Same with Staples and Office Depot. This is common.

Bzzzzz! Thank you for playing. You are wrong (of course, and probably no surprise to the rest of the ATers). You cannot buy this product in their stores, or on their website. Been advertised on their website for over a month now. Completely unavailable.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Bzzzzz! Thank you for playing. You are wrong (of course, and probably no surprise to the rest of the ATers). You cannot buy this product in their stores, or on their website. Been advertised on their website for over a month now. Completely unavailable.

Let me fill you in on something. The product shown in the ad is not available online. It is subject to store availability. The product is shown as an ADVERTISMENT for an item they have/had in stock at stores, which is available or previously was, if said store has product in stock.

Feel free to call the Rivergate Tweeter store at 615-855-0515. Ask for Mark (there are two of them, so ask for MARK PARKER) and he will be able to look up the list of available unit's and at what stores. He also will tell you what warehouses have the unit in stock. I spoke with him this afternoon and they have a few in Atlanta and some in serveral stores around here. They had the unit, but the Nashville West End didn't.

Good Luck in your fight against big brother. I gave you a good bit of helpful hints in how to fix the situation, but you want to continue with personal attacks. Make a few phone calls and find yourself OWNED. Ok bud?

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003

Say, thanks for the corporate phone number (seriously). Dunno how I missed that at their site. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Voice-to-voice is better than email-to-email. Unless their HQ is nearby, didn't check that. Face-to-face is way better.

Sheesh, they're in MA :(. No F2F. But I'll call them and report here.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I know someone who works in corporate there. I sent him a link to this thread. Maybe he will respond.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I know someone who works in corporate there. I sent him a link to this thread. Maybe he will respond.

Please do! Maybe they'll be able to give you more info and help solve your situation.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

Please do! Maybe they'll be able to give you more info and help solve your situation.

If it's the same company, he posts on another forum I belong to. He gave me a great deal on some outdoor speakers.

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003

Wow, thanks oldsmoboat, I certainly appreciate that. Anandtech rocks!

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
I didn't call them today (as I said I would), figured the important folks are mostly out of office. I plan to call them on Tuesday next week, figure that's the day most likely to get the best assistance. Unless y'all figure there is some advantage to calling them on 1/2?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
hmmm unusual story about tweeter....I never use them as they are not around, but I haven't heard any bad stories yet.

Somehow I think next week/month there will be a recommendation for a competitor that 'was so much better'.

Good luck if this legit.

Å

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have had the misfortune of dealing with Tweeter (a ?high end? home theatre store
Tweeter isn't exactly "high-end." While they do carry some good gear, they are more in the "middle" of the scale.

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
I have had the misfortune of dealing with Tweeter (a ?high end? home theatre store
Tweeter isn't exactly "high-end." While they do carry some good gear, they are more in the "middle" of the scale.

Cool, educate me. What is a "high end" place in Charlotte NC? I'm not being a jerk, I honestly don't know. And I certainly would like to know, as I have yet to purchase the TV.