Watch a Trump official argue in front of judges that sleeping on concrete, no soap/blankets is 'safe and sanitary'

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
"Furthermore, your Honor, why don't you just let some strangers off the street stay in your house? They are hungry and sick and need your help. Also I assume your house don't have any fences or doors either?
Also could you let your neighbors know to not come to the evil state of Texas. They are coming to Texas like rats fleeing a sinking ship. I guess they are tired of the safe places where junkies can shoot up heroin. I suppose that's better than them shitting in the streets in tent cities like it's medieval times again."

That's some Grade A Crazy Shit.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I look up standards for prisoners of war under the latest Geneva Convention stndards. As you will see these kids are not being subject to the minimum standards of POWs when it comes to food, bedding, hygiene.
Article 26The basic daily food rations shall be sufficient in quantity, quality and variety to keep prisoners of war in good health and to prevent loss of weight or the development of nutritional deficiencies. Account shall also be taken of the habitual diet of the prisoners.The Detaining Power shall supply prisoners of war who work with such ad-ditional rations as are necessary for the labour on which they are employed.Sufficient drinking water shall be supplied to prisoners of war. The use of tobacco shall be permitted.Prisoners of war shall, as far as possible, be associated with the prepara-tion of their meals; they may be employed for that purpose in the kitchens. Furthermore, they shall be given the means of preparing, themselves, the ad-ditional food in their possession.Adequate premises shall be provided for messing.Collective disciplinary measures affecting food are prohibited.Article 27Clothing, underwear and footwear shall be supplied to prisoners of war in sufficient quantities by the Detaining Power, which shall make allowance for the climate of the region where the prisoners are detained. Uniforms of en-emy armed forces captured by the Detaining Power should, if suitable for the climate, be made available to clothe prisoners of war.The regular replacement and repair of the above articles shall be assured by the Detaining Power. In addition, prisoners of war who work shall receive ap-propriate clothing, wherever the nature of the work demands.Article 28Canteens shall be installed in all camps, where prisoners of war may procure foodstuffs, soap and tobacco and ordinary articles in daily use. The tariff shall never be in excess of local market prices.

https://www.icrc.org/en/doc/assets/files/publications/icrc-002-0173.pdf

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Sleeping on concrete can be completely safe and sanitary, just not comfortable or pleasant. That said, even my dog has a comfortable bed, seems like we could do something along those lines for kids.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Sleeping on concrete can be completely safe and sanitary, just not comfortable or pleasant. That said, even my dog has a comfortable bed, seems like we could do something along those lines for kids.
However failing to provide soap and toothbrushes is not safe an sanitary yet Trump is arguing it is.