Wasps everywhere

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Is it just me, or is this a banner year for wasps? I found and sprayed three nests today that weren't there a week ago. And these wasps are getting aggressive, too.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
In my area it seems to be a pretty down year for bugs. Don't know why, but bees, ants and skeeters all seem to be far less prevalent than recent years. We had such a wet spring that I was really worried that the mosquitos would be awful, didn't happen though.

bigfil

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2004
yeah we have had a few nests crop up
as far as them being aggressive havent noticed that

bugs in general are driven into our backyard due to the construction of new homes in the area
it will die down soon enough when the area behind our backyard is completely done

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We fight them all the time here. Nasty aggressive bstards too...Look like yellowjackets, but they're not "meat-bees", so the traditional ;"yellowjacket traps" don't work. Nothing you can do, but spray the nests when you find them...They nest anyplace they can find, inside the fenders of cars, under the eaves of houses, inside some of the PVC pipe I keep around for projects...etc...

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Certainly up in numbers here in Northern Cali. They have nests all over in the backyard, i've got family members who have nests by their houses....found a nicely sized hornets nest out at our ranch in the mountains...

I don't know why.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Once I stopped removing the wasp nest after the little fuskers were killed.
They never nested in that area again. Try it!! Leave the dead nest, works for me.

I got two bumble bee drones in my large glass of water one evening while out of doors.
Almost swallowed one, felt him wiggling in my mouth...YIKES!

...Galvanized

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003
Funny you mentioned this, a nest was made in my car's door hinge - got stung twice a few hours ago when I opened the door. Once on the ankle, the other on my calf. :(

Are you in Midland Tx?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
Once I stopped removing the wasp nest after the little fuskers were killed.
They never nested in that area again. Try it!! Leave the dead nest, works for me.

I do something like that. I leave a chalk outline of a dead body and a bloodied copy of "The Watchtower" on my front porch. The Jehovah's Witnesses leave me alone now.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Originally posted by: 0
Funny you mentioned this, a nest was made in my car's door hinge - got stung twice a few hours ago when I opened the door. Once on the ankle, the other on my calf. :(

Are you in Midland Tx?

Nope. Midland, MI.

I took care of a nest at my neighbor's today, too. They're getting annoying.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
The bastards took out my satellite tv! I'd been having intermittent signal loss for about a month. I finally called them to come out and look at it and the guy told me he had to empty 2 cans of spray on the dish because the nest was soo big. He pulled the nest down after smoking those bastards and now my sat signal is much better :).

That's the only nest though. I had some swallows build a nest under my front porch, wife said get rid of the nest but I let it stay so they could eat the buggers. I believe it worked because that was the only nest we had while our neighbors have had a bunch.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Midlander
Originally posted by: 0

Are you in Midland Tx?

Nope. Midland, MI.

I took care of a nest at my neighbor's today, too. They're getting annoying.

You should be all set then, since Dow's headquarters are there, just get some surplus bug killer....

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
We had 4 nest this year and they were very aggressive, then we had a heavy storm and they all got knock down and they did not come back.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
We always hang out those Bee Catcher things that we put DIet 7-up in and we catch hundreds. For nests and such, just be sure you spray them once it gets dark beacuse that's when they all return to the nest. If you spray during the day, most of the colony is out and it's useless.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Midlander
Is it just me, or is this a banner year for wasps?

It's been terrible in our neighborhood, wasps everywhere. We're thinking of opening a hot dog/horchata stand and see if that scares them away.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
We always hang out those Bee Catcher things that we put DIet 7-up in and we catch hundreds. For nests and such, just be sure you spray them once it gets dark beacuse that's when they all return to the nest. If you spray during the day, most of the colony is out and it's useless.

Do those bee-catcher jars really work? It seems like they'd just crawl back out the bottom. :confused:

Originally posted by: ironwing
It's been terrible in our neighborhood, wasps everywhere. We're thinking of opening a hot dog/horchata stand and see if that scares them away.

Given the frequency that those bastards show up at picnics, I think that would draw them in. :p

- M4H

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I got tired of tossing down big bucks at the store for wasp blaster, and started knocking them down with the garden hose early in the morning or late at night. It did not kill them, but they quit building in that area. Oh yeah, I blasted one at a time and ran like hell!:p

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: skyking
I got tired of tossing down big bucks at the store for wasp blaster, and started knocking them down with the garden hose early in the morning or late at night. It did not kill them, but they quit building in that area. Oh yeah, I blasted one at a time and ran like hell!:p

Years ago, I discovered that some brands of wasp killer take about 30 seconds to kill the wasps... 30 seconds of pissed off wasps is about 30 seconds too many. Minimal problems with them here this year... killed a carpenter bee early on while it was searching for a place to make a hole, and had one small nest of yellow-jackets build a home in a decorative birdhouse along my sidewalk; never noticed them until there were a lot of them. Honey bees in the side wall of my chicken shed have always been welcome here.

Dec 10, 2005
Best you can do is wait until the sun goes down or around that time and then spray the nests, so that way you also get the wasps building the nests.