Wasp class carrier catches fire for TOTAL LOSS. 1st loss of a non-decommissioned carrier since WWII. Sr Officers blamed for failure including Admirals

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

1634835544530.png

The $1.2 billion warship was a total loss — one of the Navy’s worst peacetime disasters ever — and was sold for scrap.

While a junior sailor faces arson charges, a Navy investigator recommends 36 service leaders also face punishment.

These factors, among others, were among the “repeated failures” the Navy cited.

Sidenote:
In 1964, Viet Cong commandos managed to strap explosives to the USNS Card, a decommissioned carrier used by the Navy with a civilian crew aboard. The resulting attack punched a hole in the hull and sank the Card 48 feet to the bottom of the Saigon port.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
And (allegedly) John McCain nearly sank the USS Forrestal and killed 130+ people in 1967.

Of course, it's been denied and "thoroughly debunked," but there still a lot of people who still believe it happened the way those making the claim say it did.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
And (allegedly) John McCain nearly sank the USS Forrestal and killed 130+ people in 1967.

Of course, it's been denied and "thoroughly debunked," but there still a lot of people who still believe it happened the way those making the claim say it did.

Also known as the USS Forrest Fire.

The little @SS that started this fire should get the maximum permitted by law.

I can understand somewhat the crew being untrained as they had been there for conversion for two years and turnover of the crew as some transfer and new people come aboard. Also the confusion of who should be taking charge of the firefighting during an extensive conversion I would think the shipyard would be in charge...

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ouch, that's got to suck! I would not want to be one of the people responsible.

I wonder how a steel ship even burns to that extent. I guess there would be a lot of fuel on board for the planes and what not.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

I wonder how a steel ship even burns to that extent. I guess there would be a lot of fuel on board for the planes and what not.

Lots of things in a ship isn't steel. Lots of fuel, insulation, plastics, paint, cloth, rubber, paper....

I see you have never been in a ship.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lots of things in a ship isn't steel. Lots of fuel, insulation, plastics, paint, cloth, rubber, paper....

I see you have never been in a ship.

I guess there is still enough fuel sources. Just surprised the sprinklers could not keep up. This is always how I pictured it would look like inside most military ships:

web1_L_Navy1_EDH_160911.jpg

But guess shit happens, either way. It was just a remark, that's all. No need to be condescending.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Fire on a ship is extremely dangerous especially if way out in the middle of the ocean.... not like there's anywhere to escape to beyond abandoning ship!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Hearing stories like this actually gives me a similar feeling to seeing pictures of people perched on mountain tops or the tops of buildings.

What I mean is, in that case I get a sort of 'vertigo-by-proxy' and feel a bit queasy, as if I were at risk of falling myself...and I feel something similar when hearing about people _really_ fouling up at work. Makes me shudder at the thought of it. (Not to mention remember again all the infinitely lesser, ways I've screwed-up in various jobs)

Reactions: Captante

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Wow, all that was needed to destroy this billion $ asset was one pissed off sailor.o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I guess there is still enough fuel sources. Just surprised the sprinklers could not keep up. This is always how I pictured it would look like inside most military ships:

web1_L_Navy1_EDH_160911.jpg

But guess shit happens, either way. It was just a remark, that's all. No need to be condescending.

I wasn't being condescending. Sorry if you took it that way.