Washington Mutual taken over by the Feds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Martin
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Interesting, the timing is more than a little suspect, all the others were announced on Fridays.

Theres not enough Fridays in the year for all the bank failures the FDIC has planned.

:laugh:

That was a good one.
I did an audible lol.

BTW, dave's last link said 9:20, but 9:26 is closest; he did mean 10:20, though.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Our resident chicken little didn't even call this one correctly?

So Dave, I guess you get to STFU, how about that?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
I hope McCain skips out on the debate.

Obama will get a 1 hour prime time town hall with America. A one hour conversation to slam McCain and Bush.

the idea of listening to Obama drone on, condescending for an hour makes me sleepy just thinking about it.

I can't really imagine McCain not showing up.

personally, I think the whole threatening to not show up thing was a ploy to get media attention towards the debates. Friday night is where television programming goes to die. most people probably weren't even aware that the debates were taking place, much less planning on giving up their Friday night plans to watch them, but now the whole thing has been catapulted in front of them. as a result, more people will be tuning in to watch the debate that best plays to McCain strengths than mght have otherwise.

which will be good for McCain if he can pull off a decent performance (and thanks, media, for setting the expectations so low for JSM by talking all week about how he's afraid to debate while the expectations for Obama still remain impossibly high). of course, if he sucks, it could blow up in his face (though 2000 and 2004 are good lessons in how much the debates actually matter)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
BTW, I agree with thump, if the apparent freeze on progress with the bailout, if not distancing from closure, remains until open tomorrow along with tidbits like this, DOW won't be closing up tomorrow and I think that's probably an understatement :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
the idea of listening to Obama drone on, condescending for an hour makes me sleepy just thinking about it.
Me, too. I want him as pres but I'd rather sniff glue than listen to him or in fact any candidate ramble with a pre-scripted speech at this point. We know their positions. Watching them drone is just wasted time.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000

Obama will get a 1 hour prime time town hall with America. A one hour conversation to slam McCain and Bush.

Do you honestly think people will bother watching that? please I would rather watch a rerun of some crap like Ghost Hunters than see Obama masturbate on TV

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Wow, I've got a CC with WaMu, wonder if the outstanding balance will transferred to a new bank.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Just read that the FDIC may not have the funds to cover WaMu deposits.. WaMu has $180 billion in liabilities, FDIC current cap is $45 billion.

I guess Congress will have a long night..

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: 43st
Just read that the FDIC may not have the funds to cover WaMu deposits.. WaMu has $180 billion in liabilities, FDIC current cap is $45 billion.

No worries, there is lots of money to go around.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Capitalizt

Is that true? Will they still give him the airtime?
Ole Miss spent $5+ million, including a lot of private donations, to host the debate.

There are hundred of volunteers and workers who were hired to make sure tomorrow goes off without a hitch.

It's on, with or without McCain.

LOL, yeah, it's "on" with or without him. Without him, it becomes just another campaign stop, nobody will bother watching him drone out by himself for an hour. It's only interesting if both of them are there and there's an actual debate.

With regard to WaMu going down, it's definitely not good news, but not completely unexpected either.

BigDH01

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2005
Originally posted by: 43st

JP Morgan purchasing WAMU. No money required of the FDIC.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Got my cash out tonight. I told the 17 year old who doesnt even have the authority to dispense cash (I had to go to a machine) that they were now Chase. He looked at me very wierd. *sigh* Back to BofA.

I went even though I heard that this wasnt an FDIC issue......are people's deposits screwed until the FDIC comes in? Link?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Got my cash out tonight. I told the 17 year old who doesnt even have the authority to dispense cash (I had to go to a machine) that they were now Chase. He looked at me very wierd. *sigh* Back to BofA.

I went even though I heard that this wasnt an FDIC issue......are people's deposits screwed until the FDIC comes in? Link?

Why the heck would you run and "get your cash out" tonight? First, it looks like JPMC is buying them out, so there should be no impact. Second, if a bank does fail, unless you have more than $100,000 there, you shouldn't have to do anything. Even if you have more than $100,000, odds are you'll get everything anyway.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Why the heck would you run and "get your cash out" tonight? First, it looks like JPMC is buying them out, so there should be no impact. Second, if a bank does fail, unless you have more than $100,000 there, you shouldn't have to do anything. Even if you have more than $100,000, odds are you'll get everything anyway.

I dont like Chase. I already have accounts with BofA, who I was trying to leave because they are assholes, so all it involves is me driving over there tomorrow and depositing. If I can stay away from Pechanga tonight, ill be OK. And I dont care to have any cash in a bank that is going to fail, FDIC or not. There are no guarantees in life.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Have no clue, if you can find it all the more power to you.

If you can't prove it, then stop posting it. If it isn't written down, it didn't exist. Now STFU.

July 2004 far back enough for you? :confused:

Now STFU :D

07/23/2004 11:26 AM My Economy thread where I am talking with Vic on the demise of WaMU

I didn't see any prediction there. Just a hope.

One of these days, GE will die too. Will I win a prize win they do?

Here is more that you and your kind have been selectively "forgetting" that I said.

This is what I said in 2004 well before the "Sub-Prime" meltdown

Dave's comment about banks giving away money to developers for massive subdivsions 02/18/2004 09:20 AM

Do you want a cookie? Seriously, I don't understand this whole "I called it!" mentality. Who gives a shit?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Well sh*t. I left a couple hundered dollars in checking, and came home to do a direct transfer of some of it to my BofA account, because they are linked. I just got this email from WaMu:

Hi D*** B***,

We wanted to let you know that one or more of your transfers or payments to or from a non-WaMu account was unsuccessful. To review your transactions:

Sign into your account on wamu.com.

Go to Transfer Funds.

Click on Transfer History.

Please contact us at (800) 788-7000 and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks again for choosing WaMu!

Sincerely,

WaMu

Are they freezing funds for now?????

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Calm down, Your money is still there. You are not going to lose anything. Your money is insured upto $100K. Everything will be fine with transfer and all by Monday.

Leon

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 1999
ust read that the FDIC may not have the funds to cover WaMu deposits.. WaMu has $180 billion in liabilities, FDIC current cap is $45 billion.

JPMorgan will take over all deposits.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

I guess it's a great time to be Bank of America / JP Morgan - you get to snap up competitors and get into new markets at bargain prices with gov't help too!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Should I go ahead and use up all of my WAMU credit card reward points? Or would they be safe?