Washington Governor Gregoire Endorses Barack Obama

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This is just part of the Obama momentum...Clinton is well known, and well liked, in the Democrat circles of the Northeast and California...any other state is up for grabs...and given the voter demographic of Washington, I think it plays to Obama's strengths.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Obama fills the Key Arena in Seattle -- capacity crowd of 17,000 waited hours to get inside with thousands more listening outside (in the rain).

Thousands pack KeyArena to see Obama

By GREGORY ROBERTS AND KATHY MULADY
P-I REPORTERS

Saying America was "hungry for a different kind of politics," Barack Obama addressed a capacity crowd at KeyArena Friday that had waited hours for the chance to hear the Democratic presidential candidate.

Just after 10 a.m. the doors were opened to let the first group of thousands of Obama supporters escape the cold. Whoops erupted from the very young crowd, many of whom skipped classes to attend the event.

By 11 a.m., the 17,000-seat arena was filled and authorities stopped the fast-moving stream of supporters from entering the building.

"This crowd is extraordinary," Obama told his cheering supporters when he took the stage just after 1 p.m. "As big as any crowd we've gotten anywhere in the country."

Obama spoke of the need to get more people health insurance and criticized the Bush Administration for its Iraq war policies.

He said Americans "want their cherished values and ideals restored."

As supporters waited to go in, they talked about the hope and unity their candidate would restore to the country. They lauded his charisma and called Obama the perfect candidate for the youngest generation of voters.

Lily Popalian, 16, a student at Holy Names Academy on Capitol Hill, spent nearly three hours waiting in line outside the arena.

"We are here to support the first African American president of the United States," she said. "I like that he's fresh and driven and truly has a passion for what he is doing."

She added: "It's been a bad eight years for the United States."

Early Friday Gov. Chris Gregoire endorsed Obama, picking the Illinois senator over Hillary Clinton because she said, "Obama has a unique ability to reach across all the artificial divides and divisions to move our nation forward."

Both Obama and Clinton are in Washington Friday, the day before state residents caucus to decide their choices for the Democratic and Republican presidential nominees. Washington has the West's second-highest number of nominating-convention delegates and Democrats will award 80 of their 97 delegates Saturday.

Clinton spoke to an enthusiastic crowd of 5,000 Thursday night on the Seattle waterfront. The New York Senator was to speak in Tacoma Friday.

Obama is expected to address the crowd at 1 p.m. Friday.

But outside, supporters were already singing the candidate's praises.

"This is the first time in my life I get to vote for a president instead of against everybody else," said Daniel Joram, 26, a precinct captain for the Obama effort in West Seattle.

Anitra Freeman of Seattle said she is usually "perfectly happy" just to read about candidates, but said she was inspired to attend the Obama gathering.

"I am ready to be uplifted, the whole country is ready," said Freeman.

Chris Vale, 18, is looking forward to voting for the first time in a presidential election, his teacher at Kingston High School in Kitsap County offered him extra credit to attend the rally.

"I think it is charisma, it gets people to trust him," Vale said of the candidate.

Many in the crowd were skipping classes to attend the rally.

"My class was cancelled this morning, it was obviously a sign that I should be here," said Zion Greenlee who was one of the early arrivals at the Obama gathering.

"He is so charismatic. He is the perfect representative of this generation," said Greenlee, 19.

While the crowd was filled with young faces, there were also a quite a few like Charles Costigan, 60, who remembers when presidential campaigns were invigorating, and was thrilled to see the youthful turnout. His own daughter is a student at Yale.

"He (Obama) seems to engage them, it is so wonderful to pass the torch to this younger generation,' said Costigan. "His message seems to go across all lines, people I would normally consider republicans are here to see Obama. I think he has a personal appeal."

"He isn't divisive, he wants us all to be one county again," said Colleen Curran, 53. After waiting in the morning cold, she was just a few steps from the arena entrance when security announced that the building was full.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Bitch is good for something. Actually as a Washingtonian I don't really know how good/bad she has been as governor (been out of country most of her term) but I was vowing not to vote for her next time around if she endorsed Clinton.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I thought Hillary was Hope, and Obama was Change? So Obama has both Hope and Change locked up? OMG, it's all over!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: M0RPH
I thought Hillary was Hope, and Obama was Change? So Obama has both Hope and Change locked up? OMG, it's all over!

Since when does hillary represent 'hope'?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hillary is running on experience ...................................... against John McCain.

I hear Popeye laughing.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
or it'll be a repeat of Kerry/Edwards in Mass.

guess we'll see :)

If her endorsement has even half the effect the ones in Mass had, it'll be a blowout.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: SViscusi
Originally posted by: loki8481
or it'll be a repeat of Kerry/Edwards in Mass.

guess we'll see :)

If her endorsement has even half the effect the ones in Mass had, it'll be a blowout.

if Obama doesn't win tomorrow, even Hillary would be stunned and amazed ;)

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I just keep getting the feeling that Pabster is playing us. He has made some pretty valid points over the last few weeks and his support for Obama looks genuine.

Am I being paranoid Pabsy or are you truly sold on Obama?

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005

Obama's likability is not a superficial quality despite what people like M0RPH seem to think. There is a lot to be said for treating political opponents with respect and attempting to compromise rather than complain. In other words, he actually cares about what conservatives think. It is not surprising that he attracts people from both sides of the aisle.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I just keep getting the feeling that Pabster is playing us. He has made some pretty valid points over the last few weeks and his support for Obama looks genuine.

I'm 100% sold.

The Hope Train is on a roll. Seattle was amazing. 17,000+ and thousands more waiting in the frickin' rain. Hillary could only dream of drawing such a crowd to hear a few words.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Hillary is running on experience ...................................... against John McCain.

I hear Popeye laughing.

:laugh: :thumbsup: :laugh: