Washing my car in my own apratment complex is a breach of contract... WHAT?

Um, car wash solvent IS environmentally safe. Seriously, 99% of all car wash soap is washed down storm drains when it's used. How could it be hazardous?

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
So did they threaten you with any actions?
They just probably wrote you up because some loser neighbor complained and insisted upon it.
I don't see how this will escalate.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
screw them! That's BS. And if they continue to insist ask them to reimburse you for the car wash centers. Then get the super ultra mega shiny delux wash.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fyleow
Originally posted by: ajpa123
So did they threaten you with any actions?
They just probably wrote you up because some loser neighbor complained and insisted upon it.
I don't see how this will escalate.

They just told me to stop citing some bullshi!t about how it's a "city law" and you can't wash it because it goes straight to the storm drains and that empties out into the ocean. Yes, you can't dump hazardous materials like motor oil down the drain because it screws up the environment but car wash is hardly toxic.

What about changing my own oil? If I do not drip a single drop onto the ground with a pan, dispose it at Kragen's etc how could I be violating their terms?

What pisses me off the most is I've been washing my car here for months, at least 2 dozen times. Other people wash it too, just not lately because it's winter and cold.

I'd keep doing it if I were you. What action are they going to pursue? Thave have no grounds for any actions.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Man that's pretty stupid. My dad's a lawyer so I could ask him what he thinsk of it when he gets back, but still, I don't see how they could get you into any trouble for it.

Just check out your soap and stuff to make sure it's not toxic at all and you should be fine.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
A friend of mine was looking over his lease one day... He cannot wash or repair a vehicle on the premesis nor can he use the residence for business.

These two rules kinda suck for a 23yr old freelance webdesigner with an '86 Oldsmobile.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
A friend of mine was looking over his lease one day... He cannot wash or repair a vehicle on the premesis nor can he use the residence for business.

These two rules kinda suck for a 23yr old freelance webdesigner with an '86 Oldsmobile.

Does it say that specifically? On mine it does not.

Is this something you really want to fight about?

Turkz

Dec 11, 2003
All apartment leases I have had specifically state that I could not wash or repair my car on the premises.

sweettart

Nov 23, 2003
I know my lease made mention that I could not wash my car on the premises, but when I asked management about it, they said they don't care. And the apartment complex across the street even has a section marked off with a vacuum and hose and stuff for washing. So I don't think there is an actual law or something, and I do live pretty close to the ocean (Orlando, Florida) Somebody must be fussing. Good luck!

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Who's water supply are you using?

It is their water supply, but there are water taps all around the complex and they have never complained before. The manager has even come by before and not said anything. She did not say anything about the water, only the soap. I can bring my own water using buckets just to spite them if it comes to that.

They might be able to get out of this by saying that the oil, brake dust, etc that comes off when washing could be hazardous to the environment.

no more than if it rained hard while you were parked there

i just use dish soap and water...and was dirt off my car...and i dont think anything bad has happened yet, except i got my socks wet...and it was cold outside, and my feet were freezing.

what the hell did their parents do, i wonder, to make some people so damned asinine.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Car shampoo isn't illegal to put into the ground as far as I know. That stuff goes down drains in every neighborhood. Tell your manager to fvck off.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
That's weird...our apt even has a car wash section for people who want to wash their cars.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: TwiceOver

Does it say that specifically? On mine it does not.

Yes it does. His lease is for a duplex. I think the landlord just pulled something off the internet and printed it up. The lease he signed is 20 pages long... 17 for the humans and 3 for the pet.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
I do not miss communal living. Have the manager point out the specific section that prevents car washing.