Washing clothes: Not separating colors from whites if using color safe bleach?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
if using color safe bleach (aka bleach alternative), ok to not separate colors from whites and wash all in one batch?

Why/Why not?

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
i run everything together and i dont use colorsafe bleach. or any bleach at all;)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As long as there's no chlorine bleach, you're good to go. Your tighty-whities will get dingy-looking over time, but they'll still be clean.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
jedi, I think it's time to change your sig: the surge has proved immensely useful and has helped brought down overall violence, and documents from Al Qaeda are showing the increased troop presence is giving them a very hard time.

on topic: I don't use bleach or color safe bleach. I just keep two separate loads and only use tide cold water.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I wash all of my clothes together, doesn't matter if they're white or not and just use regular detergent and cold water.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Colors can still bleed and affect the whites.

Personally I don't care for color-safe bleaches. My colors never need it and it doesn't whiten whites much.

In college and at laundromats you can tell who washes everything together. Their whites are all more grayish.

They are perfectly white, just not white.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
skip the bleach...
I wash everything in ammonia except for the delicates... and yes seperate:

denim
dark colors
light colors
whites

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
The only way I can tell my socks from my son's is that all his are gray. He is far too lazy to separate.

Feb 19, 2001
No don't use the colorsafe bleach. I've used it for 3 years straight and I've investigated thoroughly. Does it bleach colors still? Yeah. Those new shirts I get I toss in the tub first and colorsafe bleach it. Wow, and look at the navy come out of those navy t-shirts. I used Tide also... yeah. You don't want that stuff.

Seperate? Definitely. However I like to use it on my whites. It helps, and it's not devestating like regular bleach just in case you happen to throw some colors in there.

I think its a huge issue for first time washing using colorsafe bleach, and still it bleaches over time. After 20 washes, you're definitel;y going to have more fading than with regular detergent.

I still have some colorsafe bleach left, but I reserve it for whites only. I've mvoed to regular Tide for my colors.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
No. Separate the whites and use regular bleach on the whites that can be bleached.