Was reading a relay data sheet and noticed something kind of funny

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g5rl_uk.pdf

At the very last page it talks about the coil temp rising if the voltage is applied continuously. (It's a latching relay so it only needs a pulse)

The graph shows the temperature rising over time as you'd expect with a resistive load, and then at 25 minutes it starts to drop. Is it because the coil failed open? :awe: I can't see any other explanation.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Nerd alert.

.... Back to finding values of caps to lower the farking pf now. :awe:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Nerd alert.

.... Back to finding values of caps to lower the farking pf now. :awe:

what do you expect? He's Canadian! it's boring up there. he either has to fuck moose or get excited about stuff like this. oh and hockey.

RGUN

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2005
Table looks like it's giving both the heating and cooling rate. Takes ~25 min to hit up to max temp and ~30 min to cool without voltage applied.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
what do you expect? He's Canadian! it's boring up there. he either has to fuck moose or get excited about stuff like this. oh and hockey.

It is the Stanley cup playoffs, hockey is over for Canada.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Table looks like it's giving both the heating and cooling rate. Takes ~25 min to hit up to max temp and ~30 min to cool without voltage applied.
That is how it looks to me. It looks like they had it turned ON for 25 minutes, then turned OFF for 30 minutes. I don't see indications of failure anywhere on a first glance.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g5rl_uk.pdf

At the very last page it talks about the coil temp rising if the voltage is applied continuously. (It's a latching relay so it only needs a pulse)

The graph shows the temperature rising over time as you'd expect with a resistive load, and then at 25 minutes it starts to drop. Is it because the coil failed open? :awe: I can't see any other explanation.

Just showing the temperature response to applying power and then removing it. Info could be useful if you were cycling power to the coil multiple times (like you would in relay control panel). The relay heats up quickly at low temperature, but it also cools off slowerly at a lower temperature. This would help define the duty cycle (how many pulses per minute and what pulse width) you can apply before it overheats the coil. Minimum pulse width is 30 ms, so it won't heat up much with a short pulse. Maximum pulse width is 1 minute, so it would overheat the coil if you didn't give sufficient cool down time between 1-minute pulses.

May 11, 2008
It sure has that nice natural logarithm (e) curve in it. Looks just like a capacitor charge and discharge diagram.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It is the Stanley cup playoffs, hockey is over for Canada.

Boooo burn. It is sad that our teams suck so much though, it's our sport! But lot of American team players are Canadian... :p

That is how it looks to me. It looks like they had it turned ON for 25 minutes, then turned OFF for 30 minutes. I don't see indications of failure anywhere on a first glance.

Yeah I think that's what it is too, but just thought it was kinda funny, you'd think they would have put some kind of indicator showing they turned it off. The graph makes it look like they set it up, recorded the data, it died, and they just kept recording. :D But they probably turned it off and then kept recording.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The section above the graph explains it very clearly.
When the coil is applied continuous current for a long time, the
coil would be heat too much.
The heat at 25 minutes was being too much, so they continuously didn't applied current in after time from 25 of the minutes.

And then at the bottom:
Note: Do not use this document to operate the Unit.