Was Bruce Lee the greatest fighter of all time?

Pundit

Feb 28, 2002
I was watching the last 20 minutes of a TLC program (I think) that listed the top 10 martial arts disciplines. I only saw #2 which was Karate and #1 which was Shaolin Kung Fu.

Now, I've heard of some of Bruce's confrontations and that he never lost a fight. I read about how he appoached fighting and noticed it was done in a very scientific method, unlike some other disciplines with their "stances". It seems to me that the others are holding on to heritage and not approaching fighting in the most logical manner. But people just keep going to those disciplines.

So why hasn't everybody switched over to Jeek Kun Do if it's so effective?

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I read about how he appoached fighting and noticed it was done in a very scientific method, unlike some other disciplines with their "stances". It seems to me that the others are holding on to heritage and not approaching fighting in the most logical manner. >>

Many, many systems look at things in a logical manner, how exactly are stances not logical? Can you be a bit more specific as for stances since pretty much standing any way at all is considered a stance.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Doubtful. I highly doubt he could take on the world's top jiujitsu fighter. People often speak of bruce lee in awe like he was faster than the speed of light ain indestructable but there are many people across the world who are undefeated in martial arts.

In the end bruce lee was very quick, but not very strong. A good fighter no doubt but could he best the world's top fighters now? I doubt it.

Oct 16, 1999

<< Doubtful. I highly doubt he could take on the world's top jiujitsu fighter. People often speak of bruce lee in awe like he was faster than the speed of light ain indestructable but there are many people across the world who are undefeated in martial arts.

In the end bruce lee was very quick, but not very strong. A good fighter no doubt but could he best the world's top fighters now? I doubt it.
>>

Check out the home video footage on the Enter the Dragon DVD. The guy kicked like a pissed off mule. He was fast AND strong.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
There are plenty of Mixed Martial Art fighters (Ultimate Fighting Championship, PRIDE, etc...) that would be able to dismantle Bruce Lee in a big hurry.

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Bruce Lee was NOT the greatest fighter of all time. Coke was and still is!

tigerwannabe

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2001
well, i usually leave these martial arts threads alone, but i feel i must jump into this one :) mr. lee was an excellent athlete, among the best in the world. however, he was only an average martial artist. for those bruce lee fans, don't take my words as a slam against mr. lee. i'm stating professional opinion as a martial artist & facts of those who i know that knew mr. lee. he did lose an open sparring match some years before he died, so he was not undefeated. as for teaching us westerners, the old masters held grudges against mr. lee because they felt he was teaching in the east before he was given permission to teach; not because they weren't willing to share their knowledge(although some old masters are unwilling to teach us "round eyes" :) ). many of the old masters pretty much washed their hands of mr. lee, which was why he came to the U.S. in the first place. it's been many years since mr. lee died & things have a way of getting distorted over time. mr. lee really helped popularize the martial arts for everyone. regardless of his skill level, that was valuable for us all. sorry about the long post, just felt obliged to respond :)

GiGoLo

Oct 1, 2001

<< In the end bruce lee was very quick, but not very strong >>

i'd have to disagree... many historians (or specifically bruce lee "historians") claim that Bruce Lee was pound for pound the strongest man in the world. maybe he can't bench 500lbs, but do you know many people that can do over 100 one-handed 2-finger pushups?? bruce lee had incredible power. has anyone seen the A&E biography with footage of the 1" punch? now that's impressive :p

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<<

<< In the end bruce lee was very quick, but not very strong >>

i'd have to disagree... many historians (or specifically bruce lee "historians") claim that Bruce Lee was pound for pound the strongest man in the world. maybe he can't bench 500lbs, but do you know many people that can do over 100 one-handed 2-finger pushups?? bruce lee had incredible power. has anyone seen the A&E biography with footage of the 1" punch? now that's impressive :p
>>

First off the 1 inch punch has a lot more to do with body mechanics than flat out strenght. Also from what I have read they said bruce lee's legs were disproportionately weak to his upper body. Yes was in amazing shape, strong, etc, but light as a feather too.

Quaggoth

Jun 23, 2000
I think he would be like a fish out of water as soon as he hit the ground after a good Ju-Jitsu fighter put him there. No offense. Getting close enough would be challenging though..

Chipster

Aug 8, 2001

<< mr. lee was an excellent athlete, among the best in the world. however, he was only an average martial artist. for those bruce lee fans, don't take my words as a slam against mr. lee. i'm stating professional opinion as a martial artist & facts of those who i know that knew mr. lee. >>

I really can't comment on whether he was average,above average or below or what not and I'm not trying to throw you a curve ball or anything....But just out of curiosity,what would you or your friends(that knew Mr. Lee) rate as your level as a martial artist?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
i think any shaolin monk would be able to rip bruce lee to shreds. i've seen videos with a shaolin monk having about 8 spears being pushed into his throat, and not getting a scratch. another monk who spent days (literally) standing on two fingers (leaning a bit against the wall). those guys are extremely disciplined.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001

<< Didn't Chuck Norris beat him? >>

I doubt it. I dont think Chuck Norris would ever have stood a chance. I mean Tae Kwon do isn't the greatest martial art.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
pha, norris can beat steven seagal's wannabe ass & prob. messy snipes but not bruce.

and btw i believe brucelee was actually born? here but left for HK to get fame (since there was no market initially for him since he was Asian.)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm assuming we're talking all out, balls to the wall hand to hand, knock the crap out of the other guy fighting right?

If so, I'd be curious to see Mr. Lee go against an Extreme Fighting Champion...can't remember the dudes name, but he won the cage match championships several years in the row and is considered one of the best cage brawlers ever.

Anywhoo...IF and I do mean IF, the the grappler could get in and get ahold of Lee, that's it. End of story. Lee is reduced to mush. I don't care how quick you are and how well you can hit, if you are fighting a grappler style fighter, and you get taken to the ground, you aren't getting back up.

It would be interesting. Big thing is to see how long the grappler can stand after Lee gives him a couple shots to the knee.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

<<

<< Didn't Chuck Norris beat him? >>

I doubt it. I dont think Chuck Norris would ever have stood a chance. I mean Tae Kwon do isn't the greatest martial art.
>>

I do remember reading somewhere that Chuck Norris holds a win over Bruce Lee in either a tournament or an exibition match.

Do I think Bruce Lee was the greatest fighter of all time? No

Do i think he was the greatest martial artist on TV? Yes

There are/were probably hundreds of people that could've whipped his little ass. I would've liked to see Steven Segal vs. Bruce Lee. Segal is supposedly VERY good in his discipline...

johneetrash

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
bruce lee was born in san fransisco.

i dont like coke so i think bruce lee can kick coke's ass.

Oct 16, 1999
Segal is good, granted, but I've heard no one ever describe him as VERY good. In fact, I've heard more about how other fighters would have to hold back (and a few that didn't hold back) from showing him up on movie sets. Lee would have wiped the floor with him.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

<< Was Bruce Lee the greatest fighter of all time? >>

No, Miyamoto Musashi would have decapitated him in no time flat, and if your going to qualify the query to unarmed combat then my reply is who ever it is, none of us will ever hear their name as they would not glamourize fighting and certainly wouldn't seek money or accolades for their skills ;)

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001

<< I do remember reading somewhere that Chuck Norris holds a win over Bruce Lee in either a tournament or an exibition match. >>

I cant believe that still. I need to see some proof.

Smacksmackums

Banned
May 21, 2001
I too have heard about segal getting shown up on movie sets but I have also heard that he has become extremely lackadaisical recently and thus has gained lots of weight and lost the edge that he once had. I heard he was great, but I'm sure he's not as great as he once was, especially after entering the Hollywood scene.

Besides, Van Damme could wreck anyone (/sarcasm)

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

<< Segal is good, granted, but I've heard no one ever describe him as VERY good. In fact, I've heard more about how other fighters would have to hold back (and a few that didn't hold back) from showing him up on movie sets. Lee would have wiped the floor with him. >>

I read it in some martial arts magazines while at work....

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
100 one handed two finger pushups is impressive, but the number of pullups somebody can do is rather meaningless. Who is stronger: The guy who can do 10 pullups and weighs 120 pounds or the guy who can do 6 pullups and weighs 300 pounds?

You can look at bruce lee - he didn't have much muscle on him. As vi_edit mentioned if a grappler all bulked up from the gym got lee to the ground it would have been over. I don't think he'd of handled an ultimate champion competition well at all.