Was Bee Movie really expensive or something

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I can't remember a movie getting as much advertising as Bee Movie. Its not just commercials for the movie itself, it seems that half the commercials for OTHER products somehow incorporate a Bee Movie ad.

I like Seinfeld...but man this is getting old.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
The Lion King seemed to get as much advertisement, but that may have just been a time in my life where EVERY movie I saw had a Lion King trailer in front of it for like 6 months straight which forced me to decide to NEVER see that movie out of hatred for seeing the trailer 300 times

and yeah, I really don't want to see Bee Movie now, its like my new lion king, but invading my home

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Yeah, it's obnoxious, but when you think about it, cgi animated movies appeal to almost every demographic. Who wouldn't want their product associated with an almost-guaranteed moneymaker?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Jerry Seinfeld must patrol this board since someone rated this topic "terrible". Lol, topic ratings are so dumb.

I can't say I really remember what the Lion King was like, I was pretty young back then. It just seems kinda annoying that if it isn't a bee movie commercial, its another commercial that features Bee Movie.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
I think Seinfeld's just a money grubbing whore.

The whole beaten-to-death advertising for that movie reminds me of the overdriven hype machine that was Episode 1.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The production budget was $150M so they neede to advertise it heavily in order for it to make money.

I'd assume they spent $75M on promotions & advertisng as its not that unsuual for the advertising budget to be 50% of the production budget.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Wuffsunie
I think Seinfeld's just a money grubbing whore.

The whole beaten-to-death advertising for that movie reminds me of the overdriven hype machine that was Episode 1.

hes a money grubbing whore, but ive enjoyed some of his comedy. i liked the show, but not him

my mother took me and my kids to see it the other . jesus, it was bad. i think i half-chuckled once, maybe twice.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I never wanted to see it. Seinfeld sucks.

The writers and cast made the Seinfeld show funny, Hell, Seinfeld was the least funny of the 4 main cast members. Hell, I like the Newman actor better than Seinfeld. His stand up was always mediocre, at best.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's a decent movie. Parents with Children wil get the most out of it, but I have no kids and thought it was a solid 3-3.5/5. As for marketing, I've seen Seinfeld on more talk shows(3 total) than I've seen Ads. Probably just a low Marketing Budget for Canada though.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
It's a decent movie. Parents with Children wil get the most out of it, but I have no kids and thought it was a solid 3-3.5/5.

wow. my 4 year old boy even said he didnt like it. im kinda surprised anyone would rate it that well, to be honest.

Originally posted by: preslove

The writers and cast made the Seinfeld show funny, Hell, Seinfeld was the least funny of the 4 main cast members. Hell, I like the Newman actor better than Seinfeld. His stand up was always mediocre, at best.

his stand up on the tv series was awful. but it wasnt his normal material, and was written for the show per episode. i got a dvd of his on netflix and really enjoyed it. much more than i expected i would.

george was my favorite cast member, easily.

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
Whenever I saw the commercials on TV, the story looked similar to Antz. Seems like the same concept, bee colony is run like a dictatorship, one bee defies all, ventures out, and in the end saves the hive. The story might be completely different, but that is what it looks like.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mahaguru
Whenever I saw the commercials on TV, the story looked similar to Antz. Seems like the same concept, bee colony is run like a dictatorship, one bee defies all, ventures out, and in the end saves the hive. The story might be completely different, but that is what it looks like.

Sorta.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

Sorta.

I heard that he gets some lady to sue some bad evil companies for some reason. Sounds like a crap-tacular idea to me.

Rotten tomatoes seems to agree.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bee_movie/

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: rockyct

Sorta.

I heard that he gets some lady to sue some bad evil companies for some reason. Sounds like a crap-tacular idea to me.

Rotten tomatoes seems to agree.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bee_movie/

Not quite, he does it himself.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: preslove

Yep, Seinfeld was funny because of Larry David. The show is pretty much Curb Your Enthusiasm cleaned up for broadcast tv.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Compared to Beowulf, I think they are just capitalizing on how crappy other films are right now.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: Queasy
My son asked me to take him to see this. I said no.

:confused:

Why :confused:? I'm not paying $15-$20 to take my son to see a movie that I think looks pretty crappy. I've also said no to Open Season, Barnyard, Hoodwinked and many of the other CGI crapfests that studios have pumped out because of the success of Pixar. We'll wait until it comes out on DVD or TV.

I think the only one that I've said no to and later said maybe we could have seen it in the theaters has been Over the Hedge. Yeah, it's formulaic but it was surprisingly funny (to me) and Hammy the Squirrel (Steve Carell) rocked.