Was at an estate auction Saturday.....watched a book get bid up to $9,350....

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
First edition, first state, of Charles Dickens' Tale of Two Cities. Actually, quite a reasonable price considering this book in its almost pristine state is fetching upwards of $15,000 on ebay and from booksellers. Was fun watching the bidding though......was intense to the end.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
You should have seen the book.........looked like it was never opened much.....absolutely perfect!!!

Wish I'd had $10K to blow on it myself, but I'm not old enough to be able to afford such "luxuries".

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
You should have seen the book.........looked like it was never opened much.....absolutely perfect!!!

Wish I'd had $10K to blow on it myself, but I'm not old enough to be able to afford such "luxuries".

And at what age do you magically become able to blow $10k on a book?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: DurocShark

When your trust fund is made available to you?

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I would love to have something like that if I had that much expendable cash. As it is I am plotting how I can get a bigscreen t.v. for a good price so rare books are definitely out of my league! :p

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000

Usually after retirement.......or if you're a dealer in rare books, or you are a very successful physician, lawyer, etc. The average Joe rarely has the resources to commit $10K+ to a rare book. We, my wife and myself, do quite well, but I don't have a spare $10K to just dump into a book that'd probably have to sit for a while before being able to recoup the investment. And if one is buying for an investment, one doesn't jsut sell it immediately after purchasing. This is something that'll be put away for the future.......has to be out of the sun (fading of the cover) or high humidity (they didn't use acid-free paper back then) ...... more likely vaulted away.

Was it a paperback?

You've got to be kidding me with that question..............right?

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001

34?

MisterPresident

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002

Usually after retirement.......or if you're a dealer in rare books, or you are a very successful physician, lawyer, etc. The average Joe rarely has the resources to commit $10K+ to a rare book. We, my wife and myself, do quite well, but I don't have a spare $10K to just dump into a book that'd probably have to sit for a while before being able to recoup the investment. And if one is buying for an investment, one doesn't jsut sell it immediately after purchasing. This is something that'll be put away for the future.......has to be out of the sun (fading of the cover) or high humidity (they didn't use acid-free paper back then) ...... more likely vaulted away.

Was it a paperback?

You've got to be kidding me with that question..............right?

It was actually just one of these. ;)

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Anyone else find it funny that he saw A Tale of Two Cities get sold at an ESTATE sale! Hahaha!

Think french revolution.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
Anyone else find it funny that he saw A Tale of Two Cities get sold at an ESTATE sale! Hahaha!

Think french revolution.

Yeah, that's ironic in a "I'm a history nerd" way.