Warrentless wiretapping.....you know the drill....bend over!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
IDK where to even start on this. I'm so disappointed in our government and our people (including myself). Dailytech just wrote an article about the recent Supreme Court ruling:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29993

"I am your judge, executioner, jury, executioner, jailer, and if necessary, your executioner." -Judge Dredd

While President Barack Obama (D) and the "conservative" majority of the Supreme Court of the United States -- Justices Antonin Scalia, John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Anthony Kennedy, and Samuel Alito -- have at times disagreed, they hummed a happy tune of harmony on Tuesday, silencing the voices of the President’s "liberal" court colleagues. The conservative majority held ranks, voting 5-4 to strike down [PDF] a challenge to warrantless wiretaps.

I. Due Process? Not Always, Argues Supreme Court

Both President Obama and his Republican predecessor, President George W. Bush, argue that warrantless wiretaps are a critical tool to fighting the ever-present, nebulous threat of terrorism. They argue that in the modern era due process is a defunct relic that needs to be tossed aside to counter the grim face of modern reality.

The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation and National Security Agency (NSA) both use warrantless wiretaps and other warrantless information requests to spy on Americans. The agencies have not published clear rules regarding when and how warrantless wiretaps are approved.

Normally the government needs a warrant to snoop on citizens, but now federal agents -- sometimes a single agent -- can arbitrarily file to monitors citizens’ communications.

II. Yet Another Lawsuit Fails to Halt Warrantless Police State

There have been numerous lawsuits against warrantless wiretaps by civil liberties groups, which argue that the Constitution should not be tossed aside in the name of fighting "terrorism". However, these lawsuits have virtually all failed. The government has additionally granted immunity from lawsuits to telecoms who cooperate with its shadowy, Orwellian tactics.

In the latest lawsuit, brought by Amnesty International USA, Judge Alito dealt critics a harsh blow, writing in the majority opinion "[The plaintiffs] cannot demonstrate that the future injury they purportedly fear is certainly impending."

Read more at the link.

What is to be done about a government so paranoid that it refuses to get a warrant to tap your whatthefuckever? We are a doomed society if we don't soon break this cycle of government in every fucking thing we do. The majority of people are too busy blaming one side or the other all the while this shit keeps getting deeper. WAKE UP!

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Indeed, especially since such warrants are almost trivially easy to obtain. This should be grounds for impeachment: for POTUS, for Congressmen, and for Supreme Court justices. Sadly, our government no longer serves its citizens, but first and foremost serves itself.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Indeed, especially since such warrants are almost trivially easy to obtain. This should be grounds for impeachment: for POTUS, for Congressmen, and for Supreme Court justices. Sadly, our government no longer serves its citizens, but first and foremost serves itself.

The parties have done an outstanding job at getting their followers to argue with the other side about irrelevant bullshit while ignoring the important ones. They have also done a very good job at making sure enough of us are terrified of a virtually nonexistent threat, terrified enough to put up with even the most absurd of bullshit like the TSA.

Think about it, we would have laughed our asses off at anyone who 20 years ago claimed that we would allow our very young children to have their genitals groped just to use a common means of transport. Today most simply allow it to happen with a few who are "outraged", but not outraged enough to stop said person from touching your childs genitals, film it.

I hate to say this but get used to it because I fear that we haven't seen nothing yet. WE are willing to put up with this bullshit and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We are way past the point that I always thought and hoped that we would say "no more" and we have simply bent over further.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

How do you get them to all impeach themselves? :\

Oh! The 2nd Amendment. :eek:

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

This. 100% this.

Unfortunately, there's no mechanism to make that happen, and we get the representation we deserve because we as voters consistently choose poorly.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
This. 100% this.

Unfortunately, there's no mechanism to make that happen, and we get the representation we deserve because we as voters consistently choose poorly.

The last two Presidents were from both republican and democrat. How do you suppose we "choose wiser" if the options are so limited?

Dec 10, 2005
The last two Presidents were from both republican and democrat. How do you suppose we "choose wiser" if the options are so limited?

Take part in the political process beyond voting. Find like-minded inviduals in your district and get your ideas out. Run for office yourself. Bug your congressmen and other representatives. Etc...

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I thought that these wire taps required s warrant but that those warrants could be obtained after the fact (something like up to three days), is that not the case?

Even if it is the case this whole war on terrorism opened up a can of shit, shit policies, shit laws, and shitty thinking at the federal level.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
ivw : With the patriot act as an example, they've already set a dangerous precedent. The patriot act was pushed as an anti terrorism tool.

However, and i forget the exact statistic.... but the total times it's been used is by and far for crimes & investigations completely unrelated to terror.

It's a staggering number like 4500 / 50 or something

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
ivw : With the patriot act as an example, they've already set a dangerous precedent. The patriot act was pushed as an anti terrorism tool.

However, and i forget the exact statistic.... but the total times it's been used is by and far for crimes & investigations completely unrelated to terror.

It's a staggering number like 4500 / 50 or something

I don't doubt it, like I said, the war on terror is complete shit, bullshit.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
IDK where to even start on this.

What is to be done about a government so paranoid that it refuses to get a warrant to tap your whatthefuckever? We are a doomed society if we don't soon break this cycle of government in every fucking thing we do. The majority of people are too busy blaming one side or the other all the while this shit keeps getting deeper. WAKE UP!

You know where to start, one word.

Revolution

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Even worse a warrant wasn't necessary to begin a wiretap. If there was a concern of timeliness there was a three day window to apply for one after the fact.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
SCotUS gets all stupid and abdicates its duty when the words National Security are used. Its nothing new. SCotUS has always defered to Congress and the Executive when "national security" is the reason behind what they are doing.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
SCotUS gets all stupid and abdicates its duty when the words National Security are used. Its nothing new. SCotUS has always defered to Congress and the Executive when "national security" is the reason behind what they are doing.

Still, what would make our government so paranoid as to not even ask for a warrant? Given your statement above, how hard could it be?