Warrant: CHP officer says stealing nude photos from female arrestees 'game' for cops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
I could be wrong, but, I don't think you are disagreeing with me. The act of taking something that does not belong to you is illegal - and, both hackers and cops,.. or anyone,.. who does this should be punished.

The reality (or the sentiment in this community, by some members - not all) is that hackers get a free pass (because the celebs should have better protected their data) and the cops should all be imprisoned.

Either this act of taking someone's photos is, or isn't appropriate.

I gotcha. Missed your sarcasm, I guess. Yes, we agree then. In no case is this acceptable.

- Merg

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Whether or not keeping nude pics on the phone is a smart idea is not the point. Smart or not, whoever stole the pics (in this case, the cops) are criminals and should be charged and punished accordingly. The fact that it is police officers abusing the power granted to them makes it even worse, and they should be more severely punished. That doesn't happen, but that's what should happen.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ummm, just sayin, :whiste:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

From now, know that every border you cross, every purchase you make, every call you dial, every cell phone tower you pass, friend you keep, article you write, site you visit, subject line you type, and packet you route, is in the hands of a system whose reach is unlimited but whose safeguards are not.

Feds don't get punished for ignoring the constitution. Why should the Warrior Cops?

After all, don't you want to win the war on drugs? Or, the war on terror? Or, the war on whatever?

Uno

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Whether or not keeping nude pics on the phone is a smart idea is not the point. Smart or not, whoever stole the pics (in this case, the cops) are criminals and should be charged and punished accordingly. The fact that it is police officers abusing the power granted to them makes it even worse, and they should be more severely punished. That doesn't happen, but that's what should happen.

THANK YOU!!! I swear fucking people here comparing cops to cellphone repair dudes. The fact that these cops are supposed to be held to a higher standard and then do this kind of mischief, makes this a LOT worse. So I understand the outrage. This is the point of the thread.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Just use a lockscreen and tell the cops if they need to access it they can get a warrant. Yes, they will probably threaten you with obstruction of justice, but they cant actually do anything (legally). If they arrest you just for that, then you have a nice little civil suit against them.

Either way, as soon as you get your lawyer you will be fine.

Or...... LEO shouldn't go through a woman's phone for the sole purpose of stealing of pics of them to send to their other LEO buddies, and if caught should face criminal charges like the rest of us.... Just a thought.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
We know, we know. All cops are bad, even the good ones.

- Merg

Question for you, out of all the bad cops fired, punished and brought up on criminal charges, what percentage of those investigations started because another cop reported the illegal activity?

Second question, if a cop knows a fellow cop is breaking the law and hurting good people in the process yet stays silent and allows that cop to continue hurting good people, irrespective of the rest of that cops (the one not breaking the law) actions/career, is he a good cop or a bad cop?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
When photos are taken from celeb's; they shouldn't have taken those photos, plus, they are in the public eye,.. we are ENTITLED to those pictures.

When photos are taken from arrestees; OMG, oppression!! Abuse!!! HALP!!!

I am not sure how in the situation of taking someone's photos from their phone, one victim is the bad guy (celebs) and the other is truly a victim,.. oh, yeah, in the latter we are bashing cops,.. sorry. Carry on.

Both are illegal.

In one instance you have a person who is fully aware that fuckloads of people are actively trying to break their security to get their private info (be it pictures or texts or whatever) so reasonably they should take greater steps to protect themselves against that. Doesn't make it right when some asshole hacks their phone and steals the photos just like it doesn't make it right for you to rob my house if I leave the door unlocked.

In the other instance you have a cop, a person in authority who is entrusted to enforce the law, taking a phone off of a person in their custody and illegally going through it for the sole purpose of finding and distributing private pictures.

Except for both being illegal, not much similarities....

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It is completely possible to argue neither case and still declare anyone who keeps cash on their personto be a moron who is rolling the dice of chance on whether or not their cash become fodder for the next mugger whether it be a small event among cops, phone repair dudes or NSA analysts.

At what point will people wake up and see that in the real world there are risks to carrying cash and if they take those risks willingly then they need to be prepared for being the subject of being robbed. This isn't victim blaming, this is called understanding extremely basic technological and societal concepts and using that knowledge to not be a moron.

The bolded is mine just to show how absurd the argument is. This isn't a case of hacking it is a case of law enforcement breaking the law and stealing shit. It's rather difficult to protect ones self from law enforcement breaking the law. Just like you can't protect yourself from your local swat team busting down your door and stealing your shit.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Question for you, out of all the bad cops fired, punished and brought up on criminal charges, what percentage of those investigations started because another cop reported the illegal activity?

Second question, if a cop knows a fellow cop is breaking the law and hurting good people in the process yet stays silent and allows that cop to continue hurting good people, irrespective of the rest of that cops (the one not breaking the law) actions/career, is he a good cop or a bad cop?

Couldn't tell you, but probably not nearly enough.

Let me ask this though... How often are people put down, harassed, or belittled for being a tattle-tale? It happens from a young age and continues to adulthood. People don't want to be the tattle-tale. Should cops be above that? Probably, but they're human just like everyone else.

If you see you're friend stealing from a store, would you call them out right there and get them arrested? Or would you look the other way completely or talk to them in private to see if they'll do the right thing?

- Merg

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Or...... LEO shouldn't go through a woman's phone for the sole purpose of stealing of pics of them to send to their other LEO buddies, and if caught should face criminal charges like the rest of us.... Just a thought.

+1

- Merg

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Couldn't tell you, but probably not nearly enough.

Let me ask this though... How often are people put down, harassed, or belittled for being a tattle-tale? It happens from a young age and continues to adulthood. People don't want to be the tattle-tale. Should cops be above that? Probably, but they're human just like everyone else.

Being a tattle-tale and reporting a law enforcement officer abusing his power and depriving decent folks of their rights aren't even in the same ball field, at least in my book. Then we have the irony, at least locally, where the cops launched a public campaign about the "culture" of people not talking to the police and how it hinders them from doing their jobs. So they are telling us to "tattle-tale" but as usual what is good for us is not good for them.

And yes, they are human like everyone else. As a human being I absolutely abhor disgusting things like abuse of power and "jackbooted thuggery" as do most decent human beings. I mean if its their best buddy I guess I can understand not wanting to put him in jail/lose his job but I would like to think that the good cops generally don't like the bad cops, different mindsets and the like. Regardless, we are talking about law enforcement officials, their job is to enforce the law which by very nature requires "tattle-telling" to do their jobs. So are you arguing that they aren't capable of doing their jobs or simply the limited capacity in which they are able?

If you see you're friend stealing from a store, would you call them out right there and get them arrested? Or would you look the other way completely or talk to them in private to see if they'll do the right thing?

- Merg

I honestly don't know, I've never been in that position. I can guarantee you 100% that if I saw the same friend do it twice I damn sure would call the police and/or tell the owner. I'm not talking about a bad day or anything but truly bad cops like in the story, lots of people knew it was going on but the law enforcement officials didn't feel like enforcing the law concerning those specific individuals. See my point?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I'm sorry victims but you really are idiots for keeping nude photos on your phone and you don't want anyone to see them.

Do any of you keep nude photos of yourselves on your phone? Why not?

What a bout a nude photo in your wallet? Maybe in the glove compartment of your car? Those are private places too. Except with those placed at least some hacker from another country cannot download them.

Just like you're an idiot for keeping money, credit cards, or any material in your pocket that could be used to steal your identity because that's the first place a mugger will look.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
UPDATE 1/28

Link

Cops gets off you no jial time....why am I not surprised?

Sean Harrington’s plea deal, which was finalized on Tuesday, means that he receives a 180-day suspended sentence, three years of felony probation, and according to local media accounts, “must also speak at a community violence solutions class to tell everyone what he did.” Harrington resigned from the CHP last year after the charges were filed.

Sure is nice to be a cop to always get special treatment. Any of us that did that would be in jail.

Just another cop case where they get special privilege.

Jerem

May 25, 2014
So, 3 years probation. Unconfirmed media reports he must speak at a class. They could have at least given him some hours of community service or pick up garbage on the weekends.