Warning! - Possible New Virus?

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Just received an e-mail attackment called e-mail subject line is "Something For You" with an attached file called "aboutyou.zip", size of 78 bytes. It was sent to everyone in our corporation.

I'm not opening because it smells like virus. Preliminary searches on Symantec and McAfee revealed no information. Has anyone else received this one and can anyone confirm or deny that this is or is not a virus?

Thanks,
JR..

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
seriously now, cmon.. put on your thinking cap... a zip file, with a size of 78 bytes was sent to your entire corporation.. hmmm deerrrrrr

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Edit: The text inside the e-mail body (not the attachment) reads "Is that your account?"

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: aRCeNiTe
seriously now, cmon.. put on your thinking cap... a zip file, with a size of 78 bytes was sent to your entire corporation.. hmmm deerrrrrr

Right.... It's not rocket science to figure it out but since there's no information on it through the "official" channels, I thought I'd see if anyone here has seen this one yet, and if not then people should be informed..

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yes, we've been getting here at work also. In fact, most of us have gotten multiple emails with attacments (.exe, .scr, .zip, and others). The email admin sent everyone an email that this is a Netsky.A Worm.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Thanks to tontod for the nudge in the right direction, you were right about it being a variation of the Netsky virus. here's official info for anyone else interested.

Text

marleymarl

Oct 5, 2001
open it and run any attachments, see if you computer still works, we will be waiting with baited breathe!