Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup.

dliv3ranc3

Jan 29, 2006
I recently tried a live CD of Ubuntu which might have caused this? When the computer goes into the standby, haven't tried it from shut down yet. But i get the error message "Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup." I usually go into BIOS look around and exit, and then its fine. THis problem just started happening so i don't know ... I'll experiment around a bit more but any thoughts?

uncoolcentral

Mar 29, 2007
That guy is being a dick. It stands for Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

I'm having the same problem, but not on every bootup. When I go into the bios and then exit w/out saving, my PC boots up fine.

There's got to be something all sufferers of this error have in common, but it'll take data to figure that out.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Model ADO3600IAA5DL
BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP Motherboard
BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Running XP2 Pro SP2
I am not over-clocking.
I have no other problems w/ this flarging awesome machine.

This is nothing more than an annoyance for me, but it seems to be really bugging some people. Toss your specs in this thread and I'll play detective.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've seen this on my DFI board a few times, and I've seen it on some friends' boards, as well.

I'm running a 1.5 GH Athlon O/C'd to 2 GHz, and occasionally, my system wakes up and recognizes the CPU at it's default setting. It has happened most often after a system lock up or when I've temporarily added a piece of hardware, for example, when I plug in an extra hard drive or a different vid card.

Completely powering down and rebooting usually solves it, but there have been times where I've had to go into the CMOS and manually reset it. That has also worked for most of the other machines I've worked on.

There have been times where the new hardware was causing the conflict. For example, if the jumper on the hard drive was set incorrectly, or the motherboard didn't correctly recognize the "Cable Select" setting for a drive or my system just didn't like the particular vid card. In those cases, removing the new hardware resolved the problem, either on reboot or after resetting the CMOS.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
it means you fworked your oc settings somehow so the system is booting in CPR mode.

usually happens when your power goes out and you set your power back up.

its usually nothing big if your power went out.

If its happening on a reboot, it means you fworked your Overclock settings and the comp wont boot at the settings you want.

means you need to tweek the bios some more so it does work.

uncoolcentral

Mar 29, 2007
Another note - I'm all SATA, so I'm not really using any jumpers on my drives. I also haven't installed any new hardware. Like I said, it's not a big deal for me. Quickly heading into the BIOS and then exiting doing nothing else boots me quickly into regular windoze mode. AFAIK though, some people are forced into safe mode. One final note, this doesn't happen every time I boot up, only about 50% of the time.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: uncoolcentral
Another note - I'm all SATA, so I'm not really using any jumpers on my drives. I also haven't installed any new hardware. Like I said, it's not a big deal for me. Quickly heading into the BIOS and then exiting doing nothing else boots me quickly into regular windoze mode. AFAIK though, some people are forced into safe mode. One final note, this doesn't happen every time I boot up, only about 50% of the time.

You might want to replace the battery if your boards been over 2 yrs. Bios wont get wiped if the battery is dead, and your Power is still connected. Your battery could of died.

And other then that, i have no clue. the only time i ever got that message was when my board was booting into CPR mode, or when your bios was fworked.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: dliv3ranc3
Sorry, what does that mean in newb terms?
Haha, that just means that I was pulling your leg, while giving you a bump back up to the top of page one, in case someone else had had this same problem. Most of us regulars don't ever check out what's on page 2 or 3, since it's just threads that we've already seen and responded to. Of course, the prick that responded in the post just after mine obviously has no sense of humour.;)

uncoolcentral

Mar 29, 2007
aigomorla - The board is about 30 days old. So unless the battery was sitting around in a warehouse for years, I don't think that's it.
Like I said though, no big problem for me. Takes an additional few seconds to boot. I can live w/ it until a solution is found. I might try updating the BIOS or something. Or maybe others will find this thread (like I did,) and post something. Thanks for your efforts!

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Telling it to ignore errors didn't really ' fix ' anything ...

Did I miss where you tried actually clearing the CMOS with the Jumper on the MB ?

That CPU is a ' Brisbane ', so it might need a BIOS update to properly recognize the CPU ..

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Diogenes2
Telling it to ignore errors didn't really ' fix ' anything ...

Did I miss where you tried actually clearing the CMOS with the Jumper on the MB ?

That CPU is a ' Brisbane ', so it might need a BIOS update to properly recognize the CPU ..

which is what my oringal statement was.

You fworked something in your bios or your BIOS got fworked, and the board is booting up in CPR mode.

You seriously shouldnt ignore it. My ASUS STriker had the same problem OVER and OVER again. The board was absolutely FUBARD, and had to RMA it.

oztrailrider

Dec 8, 2005
I have been experiencing a similar problem with my girlfriends parents PC, it's an old P4 2.6GHz with an Asus VIA P4M800 based board. I think the board is stuffed, it just locks up on boot most of the time with no error. However it has given this error once :confused:.

firebyyrd

Mar 15, 2006
alright guys.. from what I read.

this fixed it for me:

turn off power supply.

unplug power from power supply.

wait 10 minutes...

replug.

power on, you should not have the "safe mode" no longer.