Warm? Daewoo 20" Flat TV $179, Akai 24" Flat TV $279 at Sams

Feb 24, 2001
Saw them both at Sam's Club tonight (not on the website, or I couldn't find them). I've been looking at the Apex that Walmart has for $188, but haven't seen one hooked up. I need a really small TV to sit on my desk. Going to go where my 3rd monitor now is (19"). Don't wanna spend much.

I don't have a specific model number, but I doubt there are many it could be. I can't find a review on either TV :( Both were hooked up and the visual quality of the Daewoo was really nice compared to the Panasonic and JVC that is was next too (neither were flat screens however). Was really suprised at how good it looked compared to the bigger brands. I thought about picking one up, but going to wait a few days to decide on it, the Akai, or the Apex. The Akai was hooked up to an Xbox and didn't look as good as the Daewoo, but then again it might have just been a crappy game (it was paused).

Anyone have a comment on either TV? The Daewoo had a 1 year warranty, suprising for a TV. My 32" Sony Wega only had 90 days :|

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is a great deal, too bad there are no Sams Clubs where I live. The 24 inch is perfect for college in about 6 months.
If anyone has any better deals let me know,

Steven

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The other thread mentions nothing about the 24 inch, which isnt too big for a dorm room. Does anyone know if the akai 24 inch is a samsung rebadge? Also, what inputs does it have?

Thanks,
Steven

kliza23

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2001
Anyone have any info on the Daewoo.. reviews, etc? Sounds like a good deal..

Jesse

junthin

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I went to Sam's today and looked at the Daewoo 20", Akai 24", and Akai 27" Flat TVs. From about 10 minutes of looking at all three sets, I'd have to say that I prefer the picture on the Akai 27" TV the most, then the Daewoo 20", and then the Akai 24". However, the Daewoo 20" looks "too small" for me. :( I'm going to wait and see if I can snag a Panasonic from the huge deal going on, but right now no one has any in stock (in my local area). :(

junthin

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I personally got the Panasonic 27" deal for myself. ;) I think the picture is better than the AKAI 27" and the price as well. :) After AMEX PM ends, I would suggest looking at the AKAI 27". ;)

lzpoof

Jan 20, 2001
A tip for anyone buying one of these Tvs, a Wega, or the Panasonic Taus mentioned earlier (this is in fact one of the reasons I didn't go for the Tau deal) :

When you are looking at one of these models in the store or if you have bought one and brought it home, put it on CSPAN or CNN etc. Watch the 'ticker' that goes across the bottom of the screen. I noticed on the Taus (as much as I love Panasonic) the edges of the screen for one I checked in Tweeter were horrible. The bottom half of the letters on the ticker were clearly visible when the letters were in the middle of the screen, but disappeared as the ticker went toward the edge of the screen. Thsi may not seem like much, but the distortion was noticeable a good 6 inches from the edge on the Tau I looked at. Could people looking at these Tvs, or any future flatscreen deals, or those who may already have bought one, please post results on how much edge bending occurs on their sets ? I'm only posting this because I noticed how easy it is to test this with the tickers.

Critter736

Nov 5, 2001
The geometry which is what I think you are refering to is quite excellent on my samsung set tsl2795. I bought one of these akai 27 inch sets and put the avia test disk with the patterns on it and there was slight bending on the pattern but pretty good for an analog set as compared to the hd ready set. Both of these sets are pretty excellent as far as the geometry. My Sony Wega 27 inch has more geometry problems than these sets. IMHO....

SlinkyDink

Aug 20, 2001
my brothers girlfriend bought one of these 3 weeks ago, its nice for the cost. No s-video on the tv, quite strange.
Its not nearly as good as my Panasonic Tau 27" ;), but still nice