Warhammer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 27, 2001
I let my subscription expire a couple weeks ago and will remove it form my hard drive pending the "big" :roll: announcement at the end of this month about their plans for its future.

Basically I was having marginal fun through T3. Got to T4 and it was a new game. The crowd control spells were absolutely out of control. Somebody added it up and there are 177 CC abilities in the game.

I'm sorry, but after DAOC, there was NOOOOOOOOOO way I was going to play another game ruled by CC. First of all, there are more creative and original ways of giving casting classes measures of protection. Second of all, many of these AoE CC abilities are for some reason owned by melee classes.

They've also reprised their berzerker mistake from DAOC with the witch elf. That class will get nerfed just as the berzerker eventually got nerfed, but, again, it will have taken way too long.

So, in short, Warhammer went EXACTLY as I said it would in all those threads leading up to its release. After DAOC, I knew exactly what Mythic was and was not capable of and I called this one down to the last freaking detail.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
So far Warhammer is so so for me. I have about 4 classes in the 20's (trying different ones to see what I liked best). Witch Elf, Black Guard, Sorceress, and Magus. The game would be MUCH better if they would make RvR battles worth something.

One idea which would make it cool, IMO, is the following. They need to remake the crafting system, and then have the RvR objectives be linked to rare materials. You can go mine bronze or copper, but you want mithril? Got to capture the mine in the Shadowlands. You capture an objective and it comes with guards. But then Guilds can pay money to hire some more guards to help defend (have to be balanced though to ensure objetives were still capturable). Can pay for upgrades, such as an alarm messenger system that would tell the guild when it was under attack no matter where you are. Obviously a lot to think of and balance but this would make RvR so much more interesting to fight over.

And you can do it for all the crafting types. A special breeding grounds to hunt and butcher specific animals. A magical node to enhance talisman making. Etc.

If you control the keep it would grant some bonus to the whole area. Maybe roving patrols coming from the keep to interdict enemy players? I don't know, but something to make it worth it to hold on to.

But for now, I'm playing it less and less. I think the only reason I still play is because I love the world. I play the tabletop version of Warhammer Fantasy.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Warhammer end game sucks......lvl 40 IB , lv 32 BW , it's just boring grind fest....best part is leveling to t4, after which there's nothing to do but grind....keep battles are boring and bugged....

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I played it for about 3 weeks after launch. After 3 weeks it was a mythic game. Meaning it will take 6 months for it to start to look good. I'll be back on May 1st. By then I should be just about sick of WoW again :)

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Played my Zealot to near-40 and cancelled. My whole DAoC guild got together for this one after anticipating it for three years, and most of them have since quit. My list of problems with the game is too long to type in right now, but suffice it to say: too small, opposite of epic, too many whacked mechanics, too many bugs, too much easy-mode everything, and lastly, scenarios suck so much I can't believe anyone ever thought they were a good idea (which I shouldn't be surprised at given... zone locking). MJ should never be paid a dime to design another video game.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I'm expecting the novelty (the fact that PvP is fun in WAR - and I've never been much of a PvP player) to wear off over this next month of sub. I actually started with a friend, but he didn't renew in order to save money for a house (he's cutting costs drastically). I forgot to cancel my sub - so I'll be alone this month. After that, we'll see. With the dearth of free2play games out there recently, I may give up on WAR myself though not for lack of enjoying it.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Baked
Went back to WoW where I know people and familiar w/ the system. Not much of a PvP player, more of a PvE and scavenger.

I went over to Runes of Magic Open Beta,Warhammer Online became boring and a grind,in RoM I'm enjoying it with the guild I'm in,being free is a bonus however I have purchased a few items via cash/item shop like permamount horse.

Basically you only pay for what you really want which I like,quest and instances are great,Abbey run is always fun with Elite bosses to fight so basically its got me hooked.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Played for about 2.5 weeks, then cancelled. Never paid for anything besides the game. It wasn't for me. This is very disappointing seeing as I waited for nigh on 2 years for it. I was so sick of WoW - so sick of everything. Wish I could just turn back time and play DAoC in mid-2003 again. Or EQ from 2000ish.

There is no longer any community in any MMOG. This sickens me - thats the reason I play.

WAR just wasn't fun. Neither was Age of Conan, WoW doesn't do it for me anymore. I quit nearly a year and a half ago. The expansion brought me back, but I ended up not playing that either. I just didn't log in.

Vanguard has some promise, my buddy is playing hardcore and working through some of the issues - says a community has developed and everything. Kinda because its a niche game and not very mainstream.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
The problem with WAR is the level base nature of the game which makes RvR zones below T3 ghost towns. What there needs to be is a good skill based MMO game besides EVE which is PvP based. Yeah I know Darkfall is supposed to be the answer to everyone's problems but I don't like the FPS nature of the combat that is being pushed in that game. The great thing about skill based games IMHO is that you never get top heavy server populations where everyone is shuffled into a few zones.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
UO is the only high profile skills based MMO still. It's insane.

It's also very sad IMHO. The genre needs an injection of more high quality skill based MMO's IMHO.

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
I've been playing for about 2 weeks now and I'm enjoying it thus far. Unfortunately, I can already see the end of the road on this game. I wanted a PvP oriented game, and in that aspect, it is pretty good. Outside of the PvP, everything else has been done better elsewhere. The quests are ultra-easy so far, and since I can get XP/Gear/Reknown from PvP which is actually fun, I've already stopped doing them.

The public quests are are a great idea, but I have only once had other people join in to finish one. Even then it was only 2 other guys and we kited the boss for 9 minutes...and the loot sucked. So far all the PvP rewards are leaps and bounds better than anything you get from questing. No problem, I like Pvp, that's the route I'll take. Then you realize the scenarios take 15+ minutes to pop and ORVR usually consists of traveling to 1 of 3 different areas in search of a warband roaming from BO to BO and occasionally storm a keep. I'm hoping this portion becomes better as I move up to tier 3/4.

Crafting is garbage in this game,period. I'm not sure why they even bothered. I could go on and on about balance issues,graphics,combat mechanics etc but simply put, I can see this game being Age of Conan 2.0 for me eventually. Great promise, interesting ideas but just not enough to want to pay $15 a month for.

Now if they would make a UO (circa 1998) with modern graphics and a behind the back 3rd person view, I would be all over that in a heartbeat.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
No end game in WAR, leveling and doing the scenarios was fun , taking keeps initially was also fun, but after a while it get's to be pretty dull.

insect9

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
UO is the only high profile skills based MMO still. It's insane.

I miss that game sooo much. Too bad it's pretty much destroyed.

I've only payed WAR a few times. It was fun for an hour or so, but seemed like...well...EVERY THING ELSE.

jEnus

Jun 22, 2004
Does anyone have a trial key they are willing to PM to me? I would be willing to send good karma your way!

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Id give it a 5/10 with a lot of potential to get better over time.

There are a lot of kinks that need worked out still, but mythic has been doing a decent job of crushing bugs and rebalancing things.

Id give it a couple of months and see how it pans out.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Drift3r
The problem with WAR is the level base nature of the game which makes RvR zones below T3 ghost towns. What there needs to be is a good skill based MMO game besides EVE which is PvP based. Yeah I know Darkfall is supposed to be the answer to everyone's problems but I don't like the FPS nature of the combat that is being pushed in that game. The great thing about skill based games IMHO is that you never get top heavy server populations where everyone is shuffled into a few zones.

That's not really true anymore, since they added influence rewards for open PVP there is ALWAYS a warband doing orvr whenever I login in T1 or T2. Yeah when it came out you were right, no one bothered with ORVR but they've made a pretty big effort to make it worthwhile at lower levels and it's kinda sad that the game was rushed out (imo) because it's much more fun now than it was at launch.