Warhammer Online

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Anyone play this these days around here? I need a new MMO right now... as an outlet and I think it would be a good choice since I do not want to go back to WoW. This is not because I do not like it, just that I would want things the way they were years ago and that is no longer possible. I have not played an MMORPG with any significant devotion since 2006.

I enjoy PvE and PvP. World PvP is crucial, as the lack of it turned me off of LOTRO. I consider myself equally a PvE and PvP player that enjoys the thrills and danger of world PvP while doing PvE questing. I also enjoy the idea of WAR's contested area and the idea of trying to raid and capture enemy zones. I would likely play on an open RvR RP server based on what I have read.

Also, I tend to play healer, but I enjoy grouping greatly. I was curious what type of class (Tank, DPS, Healer) (Chaos or Order) would land me the most group invites. I assume that this game is like any other and healers are in great demand? Also, for the types of classes in demand, what subtypes (Rune Priest, Warrior Priest, Zealot, etc.) is primarily the best fit for that type (IE best party based healer).

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
It's a lot of fun but it gets old fast. The PVP is among the best of any MMO but the PVE is pretty pathetic.

I found RVR servers no fun--at level 10 prepare to be endlessly ganked by people higher level than you. You will get plenty of PVP in the designated contested zones on a regular server IMO

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Scouzer
It's a lot of fun but it gets old fast. The PVP is among the best of any MMO but the PVE is pretty pathetic.

I found RVR servers no fun--at level 10 prepare to be endlessly ganked by people higher level than you. You will get plenty of PVP in the designated contested zones on a regular server IMO

Thanks for the info, I am used to being ganked from my WoW priest days. I was one shot bait since I was basically a discipline / holy priest in all spirit gear. Since the PvE is horrific, I might have to consider trying WoW again. I am behind the curve on it, played it before there were any expansions (launch until around early 2006). I guess it is all a compromise, I guess there is no MMO that has a great mix of PvP and PvE:(

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: Scouzer

Thanks for the info, I am used to being ganked from my WoW priest days. I was one shot bait since I was basically a discipline / holy priest in all spirit gear. Since the PvE is horrific, I might have to consider trying WoW again. I am behind the curve on it, played it before there were any expansions (launch until around early 2006). I guess it is all a compromise, I guess there is no MMO that has a great mix of PvP and PvE:(

Well if it makes you feel better you can do a good chunk of your leveling in PVP. I rarely did much PVE post level 20 and I made it to level 34 before I got bored and quit. The PVE isn't "horrific" I guess, it's just very bland. It's no different than WoW PVE when you're just grinding (quest says kill 10 niblits, you kill 10) it's just there isn't really much end game raiding. The end game is virtually entirely PVP.

War solo PVE is much easier than WOW as well as mobs aren't usually social

Peck

Sep 13, 2009
Wouldn't say the PvE is horrible either - especially if you are used to WoW. One of the main features of the PvE game was the Public Quest, which was pretty neat when the game was first rolling and the servers at low levels were pretty packed. You could wander into an area and jump in on a progressive set of fights that would culminate in some boss fight with a chance to get decent loot for that level. Without the right amount of people however it's tough to advance many of them past the first 1-2 stages to the end. That said however, there are plenty of solo quest opportunities to fill in the time when you may not feel like going into PvP.

The core of the game is really PvP however - and it is possible to level up and gear up just from playing PvP (with a sprinking of PvE). As for the PvP, it seemed (to me) to be the most fun in levels 1-30ish.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
The engine is really bad, you end up getting stuck on geometry a lot, which is disastrous for a PVP-centric game. Also, the player base is drying up, especially with Aion releasing so soon. And since endgame is PVP-centric, without a solid player base you end up having nothing to do during non-peak hours, when people are actually logged on.

The best part of the game was leveling via PVP, but lower level scenarios (think Battlegrounds in WOW) would almost never pop when I was leveling in Tier 2 and 3.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
The engine is really bad, you end up getting stuck on geometry a lot, which is disastrous for a PVP-centric game. Also, the player base is drying up, especially with Aion releasing so soon. And since endgame is PVP-centric, without a solid player base you end up having nothing to do during non-peak hours, when people are actually logged on.

The best part of the game was leveling via PVP, but lower level scenarios (think Battlegrounds in WOW) would almost never pop when I was leveling in Tier 2 and 3.

I don't recall getting stuck on geometry very often. I find this an odd statement. But yes, the player base is dying bad.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
The recently shut down and consolidated some of the servers, so the servers are a lot more populated now which is a good thing. The PVP is excellent. They really put a lot of thought into how each class plays and making sure they are fun and balanced.

As for PvE, imo their public quest system is a failure. There are way too many PQs so you can rarely find a group for a certain one. Also the fact that for most PQs you just stay in one spot and don't really go anywhere makes it boring. I wish they would put more PvE group instances in the game.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The PvP/rvr is BORING when you hit 40. Its fun at lower levels, very fun. But after 40 most people who started don't find it fun. The typical night is like this..
1. start taking keeps, hugely outnumbering other side.
2. Take all keeps
3. Everyone logs off, rinse and repeat next night.

All that is done in a couple hours.

The game major flaw pretty much made lots of people jump ship. The rvr/pvp is normally confined to the same areas all the time, and its normally just on the weekends.

Also the engine is very bad...you can run over a boulder sometimes but get stuck on a twig in middle of road. Casting animations get stuck constantly on my bright wizard.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I agree with a lot of what has been said. The leveling via PvP system is great and WAR is worth playing simply for that from 1-40, but after you hit 40 you will definitely get bored fast and it will be time to move onto another game.

I played several classes to 40 but enjoyed the Zealot the most. At 40 with a tank buddy covering me the Zealot could fend off multiple DPS and in small group play the DoT and enemy healer drain (Mirrors) were a ton of fun. Being able to stay alive as a healer in PvP while getting targetted is fantastic, and made the Zealot more fun overall than the Sorc despite the Sorc's massive burst DPS abilities.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by: JoshGuru7
I agree with a lot of what has been said. The leveling via PvP system is great and WAR is worth playing simply for that from 1-40, but after you hit 40 you will definitely get bored fast and it will be time to move onto another game.

I definitely agree.
I thought War was so much fun while levelling in PvP.
But once you reach the cap, it becomes boring as all heck.
The topper is sacking the other sides capital city but even this was very tepid.

Loved the pvp.
Hated the end game.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Had a great time with this game but end game sucked, leveling through PvP was a lot of fun, public quests where nice if you had a couple people helping out but the PvE otherwise was crap.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I enjoyed the game for about 3 months, but I'm far from a hardcore MMO player (I've never reached max level in any MMO).

-T1 had 3 different battlegrounds but the same one always popped up. If you queued for just the other ones, you would eventually get to play them, but that could take two - three hours.
- Public Quests were great and yielded excellent loot but once I hit about L12 the population density wasn't enough to find a group to complete them. =(
- Leveling up via PvP is wonderful.
- Despite the stat adjustments, the higher leveled people in a given battleground were still at a major advantage (as it should be) and I couldn't bring myself to grind up close to level 30 before I started PvPing again. I quit with three characters level 20, 25 and 20.
- I had no problems with the engine/getting stuck.
- I would resubscribe if they dropped the price to about $5.99 / mo.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

Hehe Mythic is notorious for this. I cant count the amount of times my Warrior would get stuck between stairs on walls, bridges, tree's, anything you name it in DAOC hehe.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Played into my high 30's with a Zealot, and it got boring fast. It's pretty, and certain aspects of combat can be fun. But it has a very linear world, almost no risk or mystery, lame RvR with little chance that either side will gain or lose anything meaningful, and worst of all, scenarios. The game has so many problems it would take a feature article to go into them all. I'm pretty sure that Jacobs didn't design much of DAoC, and I am very sure he shouldn't have designed any of Warhammer.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I played it for a month sorta entertained never setup recuring subscription and when the free month ran out didn't feel like bothering.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Thanks for all of the input guys. Enough to likely keep me away from WAR, the lack of a good end-game is a fatal deal killer for me. Although, I am tempted to give it ago since the 1 to 40 sounds fun. EA have any plans to add some good raid / PvE end game content?

Since PvE seems geared around PQs involving several people, I doubt they are very popular if most people are max level by now, save for a few people on their alts. I bought a month of WoW and I just cannot recreate the original joy it brought me, so I will not be resubscribing to it either. I really want to enjoy MMORPGS again, but I cannot find a good fix. :(