Warhammer Online - Now what?

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
So I've been playing off and on for 2 months now and I finally maxed my character. I'm with a good, active guild but more often than not I find myself sitting in-game with nothing to do.

Regular PvE is pointless after you max because it doesn't amount to anything. I've already cleared all Chapter 22 inf so I have all of those items. Getting random blue drops is ok, but selling them in the AH is kinda pointless too because other than talismans, there is really nothing to buy.

Scenarios are boring. I know a lot of old school CS fans love it to death, but I find that doing Serpents over and over again with guildies or PUGs doesn't change the repetitiveness of it all. Either one side gets totally owned and then farmed or you get those rare occurrences where it's an actual matched battle.

Dungeons are a hassle because you are 100% dependent on other people being online, having time, and needing the same thing you do. For example I can't do Sigmar's because I don't have enough pieces from Keep takes or BS. In order to do BS you have to find people who don't already have the same armor pieces that you need and have time to go in there.

oRVR is the same also. Most people are too busy with their lame scenarios that taking BOs or keeps does not interest them. So I'm pretty much sitting in guild chat waiting for people who want to go to BS since a lot of the other 40s will only go to Sigmar's or Lost Vale.

It's fun when the guild has oRVR events scheduled and 2-3WBs wander around taking everything but those usually happen only once a week.

I'm probably not going to re-up this next month, but I'm wondering is this it for the game? You as the player not being able to do anything substantial because you can't find a group to get the gear needed to move on to the next thing. And that next thing is yet another dungeon that everyone has to be properly geared in order to successfully get through it.

I never maxed in WoW so this is my first experience with end-game content, but from what I can see it seems like more of a hassle of getting people together in order to get anything done.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
It takes 20 mins to do the left and right boss of Bastion Stair. If your guild won't help you maybe look for another one. Only tanks really need wards to clear the city dungeons (at least on destro)

When open rvr influence comes in the next patch I'm sure people will be more active outside of scenarios. Until they get the leet purples, anyway.

tsolin01

Sep 2, 2008
What server are you on? sounds like one of the low pop ones. Open RvR is pretty active on my server, although Order could use a boost. We've seen some declines lately as a lot of people are playing the new classes.

I would suggest flying to each pairing and looking up open warbands to see if there's anything going on. Try to participate in as many keep battles as you can, eventually you'll get a gold bag or two. And yea, you don't really need that many wards for the city dungeons unless you're a tank. I'd suggest at least getting the buyable annihilator hands/boots.

1.1 introduces a lot of stuff that hopefully will get people out in open RvR.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
I'm on Vortex. Yeah that's what I do...go to DW, Kadrin, and Praag to see what's going on but usually there is nothing if you're not on from 7-10PM. Oh well, Mythic's loss. Having fun being dependent on other players is a lame concept.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Mide
I'm on Vortex. Yeah that's what I do...go to DW, Kadrin, and Praag to see what's going on but usually there is nothing if you're not on from 7-10PM. Oh well, Mythic's loss. Having fun being dependent on other players is a lame concept.

LOL, obviously MMO's are not for you then. That is the EXACT concept for an MMO. To play and depend upon others online. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an MMO, it would be a single player game you talk to others with occasionally through with a chat window or ventrillo.

Seriously, some people need to figure out that they design these games with "grouping" in mind otherwise they wouldn't have the mechanics to form a group at all and share experience and loot. It would be a FFA which is even worse. Trust me, Ragnarok was like that in the beginning and it was horrid.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Mide

I don't see how you can say that, even WoW you are dependent on other people to have fun. Try getting to 80 and see how fun it is playing everything solo, trying to find PUG's for heroics and raids all the time would be a right PITA. Honestly WAR does have problems but this isn't one of them. The biggest problem I had with it was everyone was doing scenario's all the damn time, yeah it was nice that they give xp but it would be nice if questing made you level at a similar pace so you could quest when you're bored with scenarios.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
I never reached 80 in WoW but I know that after you got there it was all about raiding and nothing else. But yes I believe HumblePie hit the nail on the head, I don't think MMOs are really for me. Oh well.

Phew

May 19, 2004
I'm really enjoying Warhammer because you can log on for half an hour, bust some heads in a couple scenarios, and actually develop your character (since scenarios give you gold, gear, XP, and renown). It's a very casual-friendly game.

People used to raiding 4 hours a night in WoW probably don't know what to do with themselves in Warhammer, though. I'm content to play for less than an hour a day and actually have fun and improve my character. In WoW, you felt like you had to raid 3 nights a week or have a top-rated arena team just to 'keep up' with everyone else.

Granted, I'm only level 26, but so far the leveling in WAR has been more fun than the endgame in WoW. I'm not doing scenarios because it's the fastest way to reach the level cap, I do them because they are actually fun. For every hour of 'fun' in WoW, you had to spend 4 hours doing daily quests, grinding badges or honor, farming, or looking for a group. If the consequence is that WAR has a crappy endgame, that's OK. I'll just reroll a different career and enjoy the scenario circuit again.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: HumblePie
LOL, obviously MMO's are not for you then. That is the EXACT concept for an MMO. To play and depend upon others online. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an MMO, it would be a single player game you talk to others with occasionally through with a chat window or ventrillo.

That's absolutely not true.

The original concept for MMOs was about community. In both UO and EQ, it was very possible to get along without the help of anyone. However, in both, help made it a much funner game. Teamwork was optional.

Modern games, like War and WOW, force you to group by making it so that classes are artificially one-sided. There is no reason what so ever that a mage can't learn a heal spell or that an orc can't figure out how to cast. Character development is far too linear in modern games, and that's a big problem.

Forcing people to group for artificial reasons is not an acceptable gameplay strategy, and it's why WAR isn't doing to well in the player-retention aspect. WAR took this concept to a huge extreme, along with many other mistakes they made. Players should cooperate for the purpose of community and mutual benefit...not because the game says that they can't compete without it.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I never made it out of the free month.
Been reading the patch notes, but so far no desire to return.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: drebo

The original concept for MMOs was about community. In both UO and EQ, it was very possible to get along without the help of anyone. However, in both, help made it a much funner game. Teamwork was optional.

Modern games, like War and WOW, force you to group by making it so that classes are artificially one-sided. There is no reason what so ever that a mage can't learn a heal spell or that an orc can't figure out how to cast. Character development is far too linear in modern games, and that's a big problem.

Forcing people to group for artificial reasons is not an acceptable gameplay strategy, and it's why WAR isn't doing to well in the player-retention aspect. WAR took this concept to a huge extreme, along with many other mistakes they made. Players should cooperate for the purpose of community and mutual benefit...not because the game says that they can't compete without it.

No.. not really. In EQ, you pretty much had to group to get past level 30 unless you were a druid or a necro. Sure you could grind off bottom greens and some greys for minuscule amounts of exps and max out, but if you wanted to do anything or get any loot you needed a group. And you needed a good group. And you hoped like hell the other groups in the area didn't suck to cause trains so bad they wiped everyone out in a zone. So basically to enjoy your game you HAD to depend upon other people knowing what the hell they were doing. Yes, by forcing you to depend on others it builds community, but these are games designed in mind for depending on others. They are not single player. In EQ there was NO WAY you could do everything in the game solo. Solesuk? Nagafen? Vox? then later the Planes and so on and so forth? No way Jose.

As for your other example. UO. Are you kidding me? Sure, there was no real raid content, and you could max out EVERYTHING in very little time, but the PVE content was really a joke. The point to that game was PVP, hence why everything was so easy to do from a PVE standpoint. If you die and lose everything on your character so what? Just go grab some more of the same junk real fast and be right back in action. Didn't take much. Which meant the game wasn't designed for PVE but for PVP. Guess what that means? It means to get the most fun out of UO you had to play with others and depend upon them. the fun of UO was forming posse's to hunt down pker's or being a pk'er or just getting big brawling rumble fest going on. Unless you liked sitting clicking on a stupid 2d sprite that looks like a tree for days on end and calling it "lumberjacking." Oh yay, what fun!

The point of any multiplayer game is that the fun of multiplayer is depending upon other people. It's like playing a first person shooter online and you are the only person on the map. No bots. Guess what? That's BORING. If not, then it's single player with a chat room. There are plenty of games like that.

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
If you're still looking for people to play with, I play with a group of people on Dark Craag. We do group oRvR; it's usually a good time. PM me for vent info if you're interested.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006

Um, WoW is very solo friendly in regards to quets and pug pvp. THe only thing you REALLY need a group for is instances and raids. Now why would you pay to play online and go do EVERYTHING by yourself.?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: NaOH

Um, WoW is very solo friendly in regards to quets and pug pvp. THe only thing you REALLY need a group for is instances and raids. Now why would you pay to play online and go do EVERYTHING by yourself.?

When I played WoW, I had absolutely no issues soloing to level cap. In fact, it was rare for me to be in a group in order to level. Hell, most of the instances I did I did solo.