Warhammer Online: Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Game was fundamentally flawed from the beginning. Far too many artificial limitations.

And the interface was extremely WoW-like.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Should've done Romans in Space, or DAOC 2 instead of this turd.

Camelot Unchained..coming out 2015 (seems tons of kickstarters are coming on that year oddly enough). Its pretty much daoc2 even though its not because of licensing issues. :p

Has some really good talent working on it. COncept art and animation going on currently.
Three realms
PvP only.
Capture keeps like daoc.
Cell based world (talked about before Everquest next fyi :))
Mining, building own houses cell based, curves, arches, etc
Lots of classes
Custom UI, can mod it to hearts intent.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Well youd have to talk to a Warhammer table top vet but I believe the style of the overly muscular orcs and maybe humans comes from Warhammer. And you say Warhammer was a WoW clone but yet Warhammers end game revolved around open world PVP so I dont see how the most important part of a game being different can equal a clone.

And actually the rest of the game had the same open world PVP that was really more important than the PVE questing but it was bugged and didnt work, therefor people didnt do it and I suspect didnt even know it was there or what it was.

He's not talking about the races or Starcraft lore or whatever. The straight gameplay in Warhammer Online was practically a direct copy from WoW, just like every other game. The Warhammer versus Warcraft lore can be debated by the loons that still care about that stuff.

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
Have you played WoW and Warhammer Online? They could be the same game. The interface and gameplay UI were nearly identical. The lore and similarities didn't matter. WoW came out years before and besides those that have actually spent time inside a comic / gaming shop, nobody knew what Warhammer was. It is just another LOTR type game!

And it was even hyped in the media as a WoW killer. That was it's biggest flaw. Trying to beat WoW at WoW doesn't work, and will never work.

I hardly consider interfaces the defining aspect of a game. Other than that you have Orcs and humans which Warhammer did before Warcraft. Warhammer came out in 1983 I believe.

And how could they be the same game when one revolves around PVE and the other PVP? And I could go on about other differences. But I see youre just doing your argue for sake of arguing thing.

And Im not sure what "wow killer" has to do with anything.

He's not talking about the races or Starcraft lore or whatever. The straight gameplay in Warhammer Online was practically a direct copy from WoW, just like every other game. The Warhammer versus Warcraft lore can be debated by the loons that still care about that stuff.

What gameplay? Attacking a target? And as far as lore theres nothing to argue about Warhammer came out 10 years before Warcraft.

Last edited:

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I hardly consider interfaces the defining aspect of a game. Other than that you have Orcs and humans which Warhammer did before Warcraft. Warhammer came out in 1983 I believe.

And how could they be the same game when one revolves around PVE and the other PVP? And I could go on about other differences. But I see youre just doing your argue for sake of arguing thing.

And Im not sure what "wow killer" has to do with anything.

What gameplay? Attacking a target? And as far as lore theres nothing to argue about Warhammer came out 10 years before Warcraft.

That's because you are judging it based on the MMO environment today. The MMO climate was different back then and blizzard was setting all of the standards with the overall interface with stuff like how we interacted with NPCs, got quests, handled groups, chat, etc. Other similar games such as Everyquest 2 had interfaces that were very different. Today we don't give it much thought about games that play very similar to wow, but it was different then.

The whole PVE/PVP comparison is only a small part of it. It was the overall package. Also, when you actively market your game as the one that will topple the Blizzard empire then yes, the whole "wow killer" thing matters because it makes people twice as critical as they would have been. It sounds stupid I know but then again we are talking about wow players. They don't let anything pass. Even today, people who haven't played for years can still keep threads going for weeks arguing over the smallest details.

I get what you are getting at but this is one of those things were reality tends to contradict reason.