Warhammer Online billing error...amazing.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I got hit with this for 13x$14.99.

It is being refunded as promised.

Other than having your bank account screwed for a couple of days, it is no big deal. Any good bank will waive the fees accrued through a billing error.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I got hit with this for 13x$14.99.

It is being refunded as promised.

Other than having your bank account screwed for a couple of days, it is no big deal. Any good bank will waive the fees accrued through a billing error.

That is a big deal for many. I pride myself (somewhat) with being in my early 20s and regularly keeping several thousand available in my checking account at all times. I also happen to use my debit card for most of my online purchases, though I have a feeling I'll be applying for a credit card in the near future after hearing this.

With that said, if I was charged $1000 (or even less, or perhaps more) from a game subscription, I'd be absolutely furious, and it absolutely would be a big deal. A couple of days could mean not being able to write a legit check to pay my car payment, or not being able to buy groceries. Even if it does all get sorted out in the end, it's a headache that the end user should NOT have to deal with. The fact that it sounds like they're still saying "oh shit, well, we'll just charge what we were supposed to in the first place instead... my bad" is complete BS. IMO, they should have refunded all charges (period), offered to refund any overdraft fees if banks won't remove them (even if it puts the company under somehow), and offered a minimum of one free month (six would be better) to anyone affected.

There's no excuse for something like this to happen. I'm a web programmer, and I design websites that make charges to credit cards day in and day out. This is something I test very extensively before ever allowing it to go out into the wild. And I'm just one person.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Unfortunately, not everyone can get a credit card in this market.. it requires.. you know.. credit.
Practically anyone can get a credit card, they don't all require credit.

If everything required credit to get no one would be able to get credit in the first place.

The rate may not be good, but if you're just using it for recurring charges that you pay off monthly, then what does the rate matter.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Except that the money is taken immediately and not accessible to you. A credit card is the banks money and you have 60 days to dispute the charges.

That's a good point though you are still able to dispute the charges on a debit card.

I've run into a lot of problems using CCs for online types of reoccurring charges. If you don't pay attention to your monthly statements and just pay your bill online like I do some companies can sneak a lot of charges past you once their on your CC. Now I have a separate account for debit card purchases I make online were I just transfer over the amount of the purchase I need. This way if someone tries to charge me for more then I owe it's declined.